Gibson Brands Forums

I got an offer

Silenced Fred

To be candid Fred...

IMO you're not serious enough, it appears you are more serious about defending your opinions on guitar forums.

Example:

1. You have almost 10,000 post just on this forum alone, which by itself has taken away precious hours where you could had been sharpening up your vocal and writing skills..... Bottom line if making it in the music business is something you are really after, your presence on forums should be pretty much non-existent.

2. I'm not sure of your age, but I have yet to listen to a semi-pro recording of any of your music

3. I have yet to see any live performance at a club to see how you and your music is received by strangers

Bottom line:

If you want to generate a buzz about your musical efforts amongst credible contacts within the music industry, you need to be tons more serious about what you are currently doing..... Just remember there are musicians with more talent than you that work waaaaaayyyyy harder than you..... So you need to start working your *** off now.

ouch! #-o, thruth hurts :mellow:

ouch! #-o, thruth hurts :mellow:

Actually steve, the truth hurts only without living in reality....When living in reality, the truth never hurts....[thumbup][scared][blink] .....

Duane's advice is spot on.........Reminds me that I should be posting less and spending more time on music myself.....:blink: [blush]:-k :-k :-k .....

Duane...

Yeah, it "sounded" pretty cold to me too - but in the sense that if you didn't care about young musicians, you wouldn't have put it so straight and blunt.

I wish I had time to gig more, but my "goal" had always been to enjoy playing while I had a day job and to keep music as an ace in the hole if stuff happened. Sometimes that's meant teaching folkie beginners, sometimes playing in saloons for money and sometimes just sneaking away for myself.

My "day job" disallows the ability for scheduled gigs. So I'd not do something that would be unfair to join a group with other musicians who might have other goals. Perhaps later. I dunno. I'm certainly not ready to quit.

But I also figure myself at having only the talent to develop certain types of skills. There's nothing really special about how I play by any definition, unless at this point in time it's considered special that a guy my age still wants to play guitar.

I had a couple shots at holiday inn type circuits; said no thanks. A guitar student with a lot more talent had some big player albums and left the road to be a CPA.

A lady friend played her whole life in symphonies; it was her goal. She was good. When I knew her - she'd gone to school with my Dad - she still was in good health and was quite attractive. But she knew she'd had but one life and that there were others...

You play the hand that's dealt. You hope for a bit of attaboys or attagirls, for a bit of comfort knowing it ain't always gonna be comfortable. You hope to feel that what you do has meaning, at least to satisfying your own internal yearnings, and to give something back to the community that has allowed you to follow your own path.

But that's the trick, guitar or not. Finding your own path. Music is wonderful. It just ain't necessarily how all of us, regardless or skill or talent, are meant to make a living.

m

For the record, I don't think Duane is being mean, he's telling the truth. In my defense, a solid majority of those posts are made at times when I don't have access to my guitar I.e between classes at school, in the car on trips, etc. knowing that the opportunit arose for me made me take a step back and think that if people are taking me seriously, I need to do the same. I'm going to step up my game a lot. Trust me, you guys know me enough and if I felt offended, I would have gone off on him lol

Cheers everybody and thanks for the advice

Nate

Yeah man... tough love, but hard words to hear no matter what the intent.

You're a big man, Fred. Good on yaz for taking it seriously and not being off put.

Keep us posted on your progress and remember WE were your first fans :D

Yeah man... tough love, but hard words to hear no matter what the intent.

You're a big man, Fred. Good on yaz for taking it seriously and not being off put.

Keep us posted on your progress and remember WE were your first fans :D

If I make it big, I'll be sure to send each and every one of you a fruit basket.

Or a hooker. Just let me know when the wife is out of the house

Archived