Gibson Brands Forums

string gauges

Silenced Fred

I'm moving up to 12s and I can't find anyone that really carries them for electric guitars lol

So, I'm gonna order some from naked strings, 5 packs of strings for 15 bucks, not bad. Anyways, for 12s, what the hell should my string gauges be for each string because its all custom sets?

Just estimating off of 11s and moving it up a bit, the strings I have selected so far are 12, 16, 24w, 32 w, 42w, 54w

I'm moving up to 12s and I can't find anyone that really carries them for electric guitars lol

So, I'm gonna order some from naked strings, 5 packs of strings for 15 bucks, not bad. Anyways, for 12s, what the hell should my string gauges be for each string because its all custom sets?

Just estimating off of 11s and moving it up a bit, the strings I have selected so far are 12, 16, 24w, 32 w, 42w, 54w

i use 12,16,20,34w,46w,60w...jus sayin

nat, ernie ball do a set of 12's too... B)

can't use those either now really. i have acidic sweat and ernie's don't last too long. i tried a set of gibson strings, and those suck! i have found dunlops work well for me, but i can't really find 11s that often, and when i can, its the heavy core and i just got a set and don't care for them

can't use those either now really. i have acidic sweat and ernie's don't last too long. i tried a set of gibson strings, and those suck! i have found dunlops work well for me, but i can't really find 11s that often, and when i can, its the heavy core and i just got a set and don't care for them

you're a hard man to please [biggrin]

LaBella makes an electric guitar set #EL-BH (ELectric- Blues Heavy): 12, 15, 19, 32w, 42w, 52w.

I've not tried this set YET, but these will be the next set of strings that go on my ES-345. I use LaBella strings on my jazzboxes and classical, and though pretty expensive, I would say worth the price.

LaBella makes an electric guitar set #EL-BH (ELectric- Blues Heavy): 12, 15, 19, 32w, 42w, 52w.

I've not tried this set YET, but these will be the next set of strings that go on my ES-345. I use LaBella strings on my jazzboxes and classical, and though pretty expensive, I would say worth the price.

I have super corrosive sweat and when I play mostly acoustic like I have been, and maybe just play electric less than 10 hours a month, I still have to change em every month just for the nastiness of the strings and then they arent able to stay in tune. I'll check em out though, I just need to find a set that doesn't corrode super fast and is decently priced.

Take a look at these: http://www.ernieball.com/products/category-921-Coated-/-Titanium#

The thickest set is .12-.56. The coated ones may work for you. I use those but mine are the standard .10-.46. In my experience, the coated strings last forever. Been using them for years.

tried three sets of the titanium ones a while back. none of them lasted as long as regular strings

seriously, the government should use the sweat from my hands as i play guitar in the war against terrorism

Guest Farnsburger

Not sure what to believe but my luthier is pretty insistant that all string makers buy exactly the same wire all from one company so a set of non coated nickel wound 12s from one company is the same as another. I've only ever used erny ball, Gibson and d'adario (I know Gibson strings are made by d'adario) so I have no idea if he's right or not.

in prolonged use, it is rougher on the frets, but its not like if you put them on, it eats your frets up [flapper]

Dont you want to get the most out of your guitar though? Not just wait 4 years to get a refret out of a new guitar?

Not sure what to believe but my luthier is pretty insistant that all string makers buy exactly the same wire all from one company so a set of non coated nickel wound 12s from one company is the same as another. I've only ever used erny ball, Gibson and d'adario (I know Gibson strings are made by d'adario) so I have no idea if he's right or not.

Most strings are from a few companies, if Gibsons are made by D'addario, then that explains why I hate them as much as D'addarios.

I'll probably just order the Naked Strings because they seem decent.

Dont you want to get the most out of your guitar though? Not just wait 4 years to get a refret out of a new guitar?

I don't know the difference times as to how fast titanium strings will ruin your frets, but idk. I just don't like em

Guest Farnsburger

Most strings are from a few companies, if Gibsons are made by D'addario, then that explains why I hate them as much as D'addarios.

I'll probably just order the Naked Strings because they seem decent.

I don't know the difference times as to how fast titanium strings will ruin your frets, but idk. I just don't like em

If my frets only lasted 4 years I'd be very unhappy. I have an Epi SG that was played hard for 10 years then leant to my nephew for a further 8, it needs a re-fret now (Has needed for a couple of years). I also gave him a cheap Ibanez that I picked up for £50 for him so he hasn't played the very worn SG for some time.

4 years is ridiculous.

Archived