Gibson Brands Forums

Attenuated speakers

Thundergod

I don't know if they are called that but they are speakers with a built in attenuator/huge volume knob where the magnet normally is... you are supposed to be able to just turn the volume down using that, and it works as an attenuator.

I ordered 2 to try... wonder how they work.

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Reignmaker

from how i understand it, it doesn't attenuate your volume, per se, all it does is allow for more or less "speaker headroom" so you have variable wattage speakers, so you can push the speakers harder or softer. I'm not sure if it affects your overall volume, how i understand it (i talked to a few guys in music shops and not just GC so they might have an idea), what it does is allow you to get more speaker distortion at lower volumes, so kind of like a faux attenuator that doesn't affect your amp.

i'm confused by them

from how i understand it, it doesn't attenuate your volume, per se, all it does is allow for more or less "speaker headroom" so you have variable wattage speakers, so you can push the speakers harder or softer. I'm not sure if it affects your overall volume, how i understand it (i talked to a few guys in music shops and not just GC so they might have an idea), what it does is allow you to get more speaker distortion at lower volumes, so kind of like a faux attenuator that doesn't affect your amp.

i'm confused by them

I too am confused by them. The Eminence site says they will attenuate the volume but then goes on to say what you just wrote and that they give you the ability to tweak your speaker's tone. Don't know how one thing and the other are related... maybe it just cranks/cuts some frequencies?

I too am confused by them. The Eminence site says they will attenuate the volume but then goes on to say what you just wrote and that they give you the ability to tweak your speaker's tone. Don't know how one thing and the other are related... maybe it just cranks/cuts some frequencies?

well, if you crank an amp, the tone is different than when you run it pretty clean, so i guess they are right. i think when they say attenuate the volume, the just mean you can get "some type of breakup" at lower volumes, so i guess its attenuation in the loosest sense of the word

im far too sober for this conversation

Have you tried them/listened to them? I haven't found anyone with first hand testimonials yet. [thumbup]

From the demos I've heard, they sound like vintage celetions with a tad more bite.... You get true attenuation and a quality speaker at a fair price IMO

From the demos I've heard, they sound like vintage celetions with a tad more bite.... You get true attenuation and a quality speaker at a fair price IMO

Funny you said that... I like eminence speakers over anything Celestion makes these days... Eminence says their speakers are made in the US with quality components, I haven't had any problems with them yet. Celestions are made in China now and the box doesn't say it, and they are too pricey for chinese speakers.

So being half deaf as I am, I A/Bed Eminence Governors and some old Celestion vintage 30s and some new (chinese) celestion vintage 30s... the Governors sounded very much like the old celestions, and the new celestions lacked a lot.

Just found some stuff on the net, and I think these guys are onto something here.

It seems they aren't REALLY talking about how they actually work too much (read something about a patent still being applied for) but it apparently alters the magnet strength, making for a sensitivity that can go up or down.

I can explain if you want (I will anyway..read if you care).

There are really 2 different power ratings for a speaker. How much it will take before it blows, and how much it can actually use and turn into energy (volume). When a rating is stated in watts, it is related to how much it can take before damage. Sensitivity is how much energy it can absorb and turn into volume.

As it is, higher wattage speakers happen to have higher sensitivity, because they have larger motors.

So, if you take a small amp that has a stock speaker, say a c12q of about 25 watts, and put a bigger speaker like a c12n that is like 50 watts, the amp will be much louder because it has a higher sensitivity speaker.

Just the opposite, put in a less sensitive speaker and you get less volume with the same amp.

BUT...here is the magic and the awesome part. "Speaker distortion" is not actually distortion in the speaker, it is the result when the speaker is at it's limit of how much power it can produce. When it approaches that limit, it will not get any louder (or much) even as you put more watts to it. ALSO, when you TRY and put more watts to it that it will not take, it resist the current, and you get power tubes compressing.

Personally, I think this is just what the guitar playing community needs. And I have a feeling they work.

Funny you said that... I like eminence speakers over anything Celestion makes these days... Eminence says their speakers are made in the US with quality components, I haven't had any problems with them yet. Celestions are made in China now and the box doesn't say it, and they are too pricey for chinese speakers.

So being half deaf as I am, I A/Bed Eminence Governors and some old Celestion vintage 30s and some new (chinese) celestion vintage 30s... the Governors sounded very much like the old celestions, and the new celestions lacked a lot.

That sucks to hear. I really liked the Vintage 30, and I was kinda hoping the Chinese version didn't suck.

They still make the British ones as well (don't know if that includes the vintage 30 though), but, they aren't 100 bucks anymore either.

I am a Jensen guy, and the p12q clone (Bassman speakers) they made for Fender sound a LOT better and closer to a Jensen than the Italian reissues. Also, the yellow label c12n type that they make (or made) for Fender work a LOT better than the Italian c12n copy.

I would even add that while Weber makes GREAT copies of Jensens in the Q and R lower watts types that are very much like the real Jensens, the Eminence version is better sounding and closer to the C12N than the Weber version of the C12N.

The sticker on my Celestion Vintage 30's read "Made in the UK" on the side of the magnet, but I purchased those for my AC50 back in 2008, so that's another comparison I have.... But the older celestions that were made in the 80's were great speakers.

Right now I use only the WGS Reaper 55Hz speakers in all my closed back cabs. To me they are much warmer than the newer celestion speakers, and have better low-end response.... But I'm now considering those Eminence speakers and loading them into the AC50 combo, because my AC50 after the preamp and power-tube mods, it only starts to sound good at about 50% volume, and that's just too loud. I was considering another attenuator, but $350 for a set of speakers that seem to have a nice sonic tone, and have the ability to attenuate while being able to push the amps power-section, and keep the volume down sounds like a win-win deal there.

The knobs on the Reignmaker and the Maverick are not wattage attenuators--they are sensitivity attenuators. they make the speakers less efficient and therefore less loud. Because the actual speaker is not as loud (but the wattage is still the same) you can turn up your amp to drive the speakers without worrying about blowing your speakers or your windows out. Brilliant, really...

you can turn up your amp to drive the speakers without worrying about blowing your speakers or your windows out. Brilliant, really...

That's what an attenuator placed between the speaker cabinet and amp does.... It allows you to push the power section of the amp without pissing off your fellow band mates and the neighbors [biggrin]

True--this is just a different method. Judging from the location of that knob, I bet it moves the speaker magnet somehow to lower the dBs...very simple but ingenious. Your amp would hit the speakers at full power so you'd have overdriven speakers instead of an overloaded amp. I'm considering them for my Rivera Bonehead.

Archived