Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul wiring mods

lagerfanny

MLP forum is full of people who have rewired their guitars, changed pots & caps etc. Seems hardly spoken about here.

For those who have done this can you justify/review the changes made to yours please?

Very interested in this subject.(and yes read everything about them over there, BUT do value your opinion here!)

Question 1, would only changing the caps to Orange drops (0.022UF bridge, 0.015UF in the neck) have any positive tone change?

I wired my Les Paul using the well known Jimmy Page scheme which is basically

1. Coil taps for each pup

2. In phase/Out of phase between the two pups

3. In series/Out of series between the two pups.

There is no way to answer your question about cap replacement because a positive sound value is based on what you like. You should experiment with different values and see what you like. I suggest if you do that to use alligator clips before soldering directly. Caps are pretty cheap - not as cheap as they used to be but still a small investment. Also try different brands/styles and not just orange drops (although that is what I have in my LP). Try paper in oil (more expensive but I hear worth it).

Interesting thread.........I'd love to have a "Peter Green" and a Jimmy Mod" done on two Gibby Pauls......

Can't really get an AUTHENTIC Jimmy tone without the mod.....( Though L.P. Deluxes come close )....

The In Phase/Out of Phase on the JP mod is the electrical version of the Peter Green mod.

Hmmmm......That simple ????? Cool......Think I'll try to hire Stein to do my modding for me......[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .......

Well I tried the Orange Drops mentioned earlier and was surprised by just how much the tone changed. The overall sweep of the tone knobs provided a greater & more consistent change, but with still an obvious sweet spot which I'm guessing is more to do with the pots.

The bridge pickup sounded sweet and rich, however the neck was too muddy and deep for my liking even moving the pickup further away from the strings. I preferred the stock brighter cap.

So for now I've replaced them with the factory parts & will order some K40Y-9 Paper In Oil but with .010 & .015 values to try.

It only takes a minute to change and It's all good harmless fun [biggrin]

The 'alligator clips' thing is a great idea,

How is the Peter Green mod wired?

'50's wiring' How has it improved the tone & playability for you?

I rewired mine 50's style to. I find that you get more control over the tone control, better, more tapered roll off, a mod well worth doing imho

Of course I only use the neck pickup because the bridge pickup is too thin for my taste.

I rewired mine 50's style to. I find that you get more control over the tone control, better, more tapered roll off, a mod well worth doing imho

Of course I only use the neck pickup because the bridge pickup is too thin for my taste.

50s wiring and Bareknuckle PG Blues pickups : Tone to die for!

57 Classics, one volume and no tones, don't use them on a gigging guitar. Have tried them with no pots in the other three holes, plugged them, put shiny stuff in the holes, all kindsa things. Best thing to do is just leave the pots unwired, so I can re-wire it if I had to.

rct

57 Classics, one volume and no tones, don't use them on a gigging guitar. Have tried them with no pots in the other three holes, plugged them, put shiny stuff in the holes, all kindsa things. Best thing to do is just leave the pots unwired, so I can re-wire it if I had to.

rct

Now THAT's interesting......My MAIN pickups are '57s........And I don't use L.P. tone controls, and rarely tone controls as well....

Is there any noticeable tone difference in bypassing them ????

Now THAT's interesting......My MAIN pickups are '57s........And I don't use L.P. tone controls, and rarely tone controls as well....

Is there any noticeable tone difference in bypassing them ????

No, not really. I've never done it for any reason other than I don't use t0ne kn0bs.

rct

Archived