Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer Wood Question

Ledguitar73

It was a sad day in Gibson Land when they combined the Gibson and Epiphone boards. You people just keep living the dream. And when you want to know actual facts about Gibson guitars, give me a shout.

It was a sad day in Gibson Land when they combined the Gibson and Epiphone boards. You people just keep living the dream.

And when you want to know actual facts about Gibson guitars, give me a shout.

Larry, I dont give a crap about Gibson guitars. We arent talking about Gibsons. We are talking about Epiphones and apparently you dont know squat about them because you havent said one thing to back up your statement. Just a couple of underhanded comments fueled by your cork sniffing attitude. If you want to explain your previous comment, I'm all ears and have asked TWICE for an explanation. If you came in here just to be a jackbag, I'll tell you right now buddy, you are barking up the wrong tree. So lose the attitude and explain your position or shut the hell up. On second thought, maybe you should just keep yourself in the Gibson forum . I'm sure that the guys up there are missing your charming dispostion.

And Larry, you are right. Combining the boards was a terrible idea. You proved that in this thread. Now go crap somewhere else.

It was a sad day in Gibson Land when they combined the Gibson and Epiphone boards. You people just keep living the dream.

And when you want to know actual facts about Gibson guitars, give me a shout.

I might be missing something here, so I'd like to ask a question (ot three). Let's say that the body on my G400 has a solid, 3-piece Korina core, with solid Korina overlays, front and back. Would that qualify as a solid Korina body? If not, would a solid 3-piece body of Korina qualify as solid Korina? Or are you talking about a solid, 1-piece Korina body being the only way it can be considered a solid Korina body?

I might be missing something here, so I'd like to ask a question (ot three). Let's say that the body on my G400 has a solid, 3-piece Korina core, with solid Korina overlays, front and back. Would that qualify as a solid Korina body? If not, would a solid 3-piece body of Korina qualify as solid Korina? Or are you talking about a solid, 1-piece Korina body being the only way it can be considered a solid Korina body?

According to Epiphone, and Jim Rosenberg directly, "solid" means that the wood is not a laminate. And by laminate, I mean layers of 1/8" sheets glued together horizontally to make up the body. Epiphone does not consider a two or three or even a five piece body a laminate. A korina body with a korina veneer is still considered "solid". The veneer is only there to hide the seams or to make the grain appear to run in a particular direction (like on the Flying-V) that might not have been obtainable with the cuts of wood on hand. But I digress. That was not the OP's question. The question was whether or not Epiphone uses Korina as the base wood on their Korina guitars.

Larry doesnt know jack about this stuff when it comes to modern Epiphones or he would have answered this question two days ago instead of coming in here just to talk smack.

According to Epiphone, and Jim Rosenberg directly, "solid" means that the wood is not a laminate. And by laminate, I mean layers of 1/8" sheets glued together horizontally to make up the body. Epiphone does not consider a two or three or even a five piece body a laminate. A korina body with a korina veneer is still considered "solid". The veneer is only there to hide the seams or to make the grain appear to run in a particular direction (like on the Flying-V) that might not have been obtainable with the cuts of wood on hand.

Larry doesnt know jack about this stuff when it comes to modern Epiphones or he would have answered this question two days ago instead of coming in here just to talk smack.

Exactly the point that I was trying to make. If all of the "components" are Korina, and the only other material is glue, then why wouldn't it be considered solid? Whether the "components" are glued horizontally or vertically (or both) shouldn't matter. Now if someone wants to argue 1-piece body, well then, they might have a point.

Exactly the point that I was trying to make. If all of the "components" are Korina, and the only other material is glue, then why wouldn't it be considered solid? Whether the "components" are glued horizontally or vertically (or both) shouldn't matter. Now if someone wants to argue 1-piece body, well then, they might have a point.

Sure, if that was the question. We all know that Epiphones arent made from a single piece of wood unless specified. And I wouldnt try to claim otherwise. I'm not even trying to claim that Epiphone and Gibson use the same grades of Korina or any other wood. And yeah, even if the body was a Kornia laminate, it would still be Korina. It just wouldnt be considered "solid". Futhermore, and this is for Mr. Larry, almost all of Epiphone's FMT, QMT, birdseye, etc. are veneers. But the bodies are still solid regardless of having a cap or a veneer or both. A veneered body is not a laminated body and is still solid at the core unless its a laminated body with a veneer. But I'm sure he knows this.

Guest CheapShoes

I'm not sure why the question of whether a solidbodied guitar wood is "solid" or not, is an important thing to know (it's just a label afterall, and subjective) but I hope the question was answered; I do agree with nearly everything RTH has to say on this. As an aside, IMHO veneer isn't a sign of inferiority, just a form of bling and style - akin to applied color, binding, or finish. Many times the finish is thicker, and if anything, more significant to body makeup than super-thin veneer. Does the fretboard have tiny dots or huge blocks? I guess those blocks are a patchy veneer of sorts. My guess is that if one actually had a "solid" one-piece body, with no finish at all, then the act of leaning it against one's shirt would dampen any mojo more than a veneer. FWIW, I looked over two $1200 Gibson LP Specials at GC last month, and both were veneered over a multi-piece mahogany body. The veneer was about twice as thick as the Epi V, and sloppily done at the edges, but attractive color and banding otherwise from a distance. Bling...and not inexpensive bling at that. ](*,)

I think what Larry is saying is that if Epiphone uses limba or korina wood, that it is not a guitar, and that if Epiphone

makes a guitar, that it is not a guitar, and that if Epiphone puts pickups or a veneer on a guitar, then that it clearly

is NOT a guitar.....How hard is that for us to understand ????? Now, IF Epiphone made a guitar out of cork that

smelled like wine, then THAT MIGHT be a guitar, provided that the cork knobs were "scratch and sniff." [flapper] [flapper] [flapper] ........

Of course, posted in fun and jest......L5Larry is a good and respected member on the Gibby Forum........

L5Larry is a good and respected member on the Gibby Forum........

Yeah, Damian. I realize that. Which is why he will get no quarter from me if he is going to come in here and talk smack. I would expect the same if I were to go in to the Gibby section and start running my mouth in the same manner. Someone as experienced on this forum and as knowledgeable as Larry should know better. His posts did not appear to be in fun and jest and he never explained his position although he had every opportunity. He came in here just to troll the thread. If he doesnt like the Epiphone forum being comined with the Gibson forum, then maybe he should stay out of here. No one forces him to visit this section and it can be off of his radar just as much as the Gibson section is off of mine. I would never, ever, go in to the Gibson section, insult the brand and tell them that I dont like them being in the same house. Thems fightin' words and you know it.

I think what Larry is saying is that if Epiphone uses limba or korina wood, that it is not a guitar, and that if Epiphone

makes a guitar, that it is not a guitar, and that if Epiphone puts pickups or a veneer on a guitar, then that it clearly

is NOT a guitar.....How hard is that for us to understand ????? Now, IF Epiphone made a guitar out of cork that

smelled like wine, then THAT MIGHT be a guitar, provided that the cork knobs were "scratch and sniff." [flapper] [flapper] [flapper] ........

Of course, posted in fun and jest......L5Larry is a good and respected member on the Gibby Forum........

You mean to say my Epiphone Les Paul isn't a real guitar?!?!?! No wonder I was having tuning issues a while back, this explains everything. [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [biggrin]

I honestly don't know why L5Larry's panties are in a bind though, we all play guitar and as much as we all hate to admit it... when you play in front of an audience 99% could care less whether you're playing a Epiphone Les Paul Special or a 10 grand Gibson Custom.

You mean to say my Epiphone Les Paul isn't a real guitar?!?!?! No wonder I was having tuning issues a while back, this explains everything. [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [biggrin]

I honestly don't know why L5Larry's panties are in a bind though, we all play guitar and as much as we all hate to admit it... when you play in front of an audience 99% could care less whether you're playing a Epiphone Les Paul Special or a 10 grand Gibson Custom.

Yeah, man. I cant tell you how many times I've gotten major compliments on my $400 Epiphone EBM bass over the years. But for all the times I've played the $1000+ Solid flamed maple neck-thru with double stringers, Bartolinis, Hipshots, satin anodized hardware bling-tastic bass...not a peep. And its ten times the bass that the Epiphone is in every way. It just proves that this guitar snobbery is all in our heads. And its not like none of us have never owned a Gibson before. Many here still do. We just like this brand as well. As far as budget brands go, Epiphone is at the top of the heap. I'm not a pro...or even a semi-pro. I'm a hobbyist and Epiphone's quality suits myself and many others just fine. If I had a need for a Gibson, I would buy one again. I understand the quality differences between the two brands and the reasons for those differences beyond price points. I just dont have a need for it.

It seems that there is still a great deal of people upset about Gibson's acquisition of Epiphone and that they turned a high quality brand in to a budget line. I get that. But on the same hand, I'm thankful to have such a high quality budget line and a wide variety of guitars to choose from. Epiphone had its day in the sun in the high-end market. They played their hand and ultimately lost the game. Thats just how businesses go sometimes. Yes, its sad in a sense, but if it werent for the current state of Gibson's Epiphone brand, we'd all be choosing from Maestros and Epochs instead. God help us. Instead of having great budget to mid-line guitars to choose from, Epiphone would be another major high-end player that many of us would never have a chance own.

I'm not sad about Epiphone's fate 50-some years ago or their current business model of budget guitars. Its been beneficial to all of us except maybe the old-timers that grew up with high-end Epis. Epiphone's current leaders understand the history behind the brand and realize that there is a certain level of quality that they need to adhere to. Though this hasnt always been the case in the past, Epiphone has been taking great strides to improve the quailty of their guitars and keep the prices reasonable in the past twenty years.

Maybe I'm drinking the kool-aide or "living the dream" or whatever, but I have a great appreciation for what they are today. They may not be the best guitars, but they are the best guitars for me. [biggrin]

Looks like ephiphone has wised up and posted some useful information, http://www.epiphone....a-Explorer.aspx maybe they read the form. their information about the body material is contradictory though, it says mahogany in one place and korina in the other, when its 100% korina.

I know from experience with the wiki that its easy to overlook some of the spec details when it comes to hundreds of guitar entries. Its a copy/pasta typo. The real info on the body material is in the "body" tab. Its solid korina. You cant have a black 'korina' guitar if the basewood is mahogany.

They may not be the best guitars, but they are the best guitars for me. [biggrin]

Yeah... in fact... YEAH YEAH YEAH! [thumbup]

I really don't understand why L5L, usually a cool kinda guy, got a bug up him over this?

Archived