Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sg-400 Fade Factory 2nd

Guitar Lover

I am eyeing a Epiphone Sg-400 Fade Factory 2nd, in either Worn Brown or Worn Cherry. Does anbody know whether thess are worth futching with? The only defect I could find was in a very inconspicous place and and hard to find, and is at the very end of the fretboard, and nothing more than a futch up! Otherwise you wouldn't know it without looking at the back of the Headstock that says Factory 2nd, and sounds pretty dog-gone good plugged in.

Somewhere down the road if I do get it, I will modify it whith some better Pups (Pick-Ups), maybe Seymour Duncans SH-4 or JB-4

and a 59 in the neck, but i am open to suggesstion! I want a Classic Rock sound!

The only problem is in resale. If you don't look to buy with the intention of selling for a profit, I'd do it if the price was right. I have a Dot that is a 2nd. It carried the full factory warranty, which was void after I gutted it and put new pups in it, along with several other mods. Mine has some very small finish blems in it but I got it for $250 from MF. The serial number on mine is intact and it is just stamped 2nd on the back of the headstock. I have no intentions of selling it so I don't care that it says 2nd, it plays and sounds great with the mods I've done.

2ndSerialNumber.jpg

Guitar Lover,

If it is what you really want, and you will be happy owning it....What else is there?

As JC indicated, if you want to buy a guitar to resell at a profit, look elsewhere.

Fact is, unless you are buying very expensive guitars ($1,500 to $6,000) odds of most used guitars going up in value are unlikely. Even on the high end it can be a crap shoot. Nothing is worth any more than someone will pay for it.

Personally, I have never paid more than $1,200 for a guitar. I have bought some that play very well and I am quite proud to own for as little as $125. If I went onstage I would feel comfortable with any of them. Then again, I do not make a living at it.

My criteria for guitar buying.

Is it in my price range?

How does it play and feel to me?

If I want to make changes or mods, can it be done without problems?

Do I like what it looks like?

Remember, SRV bought his because he liked the way it played and was already so beat up he didn't feel he could hurt it any worse......Now they call them road worn and charge extra for it!?..LOL

Willy

Edit: Come to think of it, I have the same criteria for pool sticks and girlfriends.(Kidding...sort of...maybe?)

Thanks to all of you! I have no intention of buying it AND reselling it for any kind of profit. I am only looking to buy it for a better Guitar then the One I have now, which I failed to mention, shame on me, OH WELL! I have an Ibanez GSA60 Guitar with 2 Seymour Duncan Pups, the neck pup is a SH-4 Jr. which is a Double Coil pup that fits in a single coil spot, and the Bridge pup is a SH-5 Custom which I am not particularily happy with.

Anyway, thanks again Guys [thumbup][glare]=D> :D

I purchased a worn brown G-400 (factory 2nd with the used stamp on the headstock) Other than the "used" stamp, I've never noticed a problem with it whatsoever... in fact, it's one of my favorite guitars. I removed all the hardware, buffed it to a shine, re-installed all the factory hardware, gave it a good set-up, and it plays and looks like a dream.

As previously mentioned, don't expect to sell it for diddly-squat down the road, but resale value on a $300 guitar isn't going to be great anyhow so I wouldn't worry about it, especially seeing how you can pick up a like-new refurbished one for about $225.

A word to the wise however...some of these factory seconds have undergone more significant repairs. Some have replaced hardware and electronics and I'm not sure they're replaced with very high quality parts in some cases. Any reputable seller will inform you of what's been done so it pays to ask!

I purchased a worn brown G-400 (factory 2nd with the used stamp on the headstock) Other than the "used" stamp, I've never noticed a problem with it whatsoever... in fact, it's one of my favorite guitars. I removed all the hardware, buffed it to a shine, re-installed all the factory hardware, gave it a good set-up, and it plays and looks like a dream.

As previously mentioned, don't expect to sell it for diddly-squat down the road, but resale value on a $300 guitar isn't going to be great anyhow so I wouldn't worry about it, especially seeing how you can pick up a like-new refurbished one for about $225.

A word to the wise however...some of these factory seconds have undergone more significant repairs. Some have replaced hardware and electronics and I'm not sure they're replaced with very high quality parts in some cases. Any reputable seller will inform you of what's been done so it pays to ask!

Thanks for the tip! I will talk to my Dealer which is also my Guitar instructor. [thumbup][smile]

If it's the original version with the bound fretboard, I'd grab it up. If not, the newer faded series are not very expensive to buy new and might be a better choice unless it's going really cheap.

By the way...I have a SH-4 JB in the bridge and a Pearly Gates in the neck of my SG and they are killer together. [smile]

If it's the original version with the bound fretboard, I'd grab it up. If not, the newer faded series are not very expensive to buy new and might be a better choice unless it's going really cheap.

By the way...I have a SH-4 JB in the bridge and a Pearly Gates in the neck of my SG and they are killer together. [smile]

What Is a Bound Fretboard? :unsure:

Bound fretboards must be at least eighteen years old and it must be voluntary.....t1559.gif

A bound fretboard has binding on the edges of the fretboard.....Same as some guitars have bound bodies.....

Maybe someone can post pics.....

If you go to the new Epiphone website (at least as it stands today) and look at the Faded G-400 page, you will be able to see the difference. Flip back and forth between the brown and the red models. The picture of the Faded cherry is actually a picture of the Vintage cherry. The Vintage had a bound fretboard and some other cosmetic differences.

I myself have a Faded brown with the brown fingerboard binding, and I love the damn thing.

Thanks to Every who has answered my Questions except for one that was not answered:

I am after a Classic Rock sound, what would any of you suggest as far Pups go, Seymour Duncan Hot Rod Pack or maybe Dimarzio? I guess what I am asking is, What would sound best on a Mahoganny Body

and Mahoganny Neck?

Again Thanks, you all have been very helpful! [thumbup][biggrin]

IMHO, for an Epi SG, I say the Seymour Duncans.........But that is just my opinion.......

( I put Gibby pickups in most of my Gibby, Epi, and other guitars...I'm currently designing my own Signature Damian pickups....)...[thumbup][woot] B) .....

My sig PUs will be called "Roseta Stoners" by the way; PAF style..........

Thanks to Every who has answered my Questions except for one that was not answered:

I am after a Classic Rock sound, what would any of you suggest as far Pups go, Seymour Duncan Hot Rod Pack or maybe Dimarzio? I guess what I am asking is, What would sound best on a Mahoganny Body

and Mahoganny Neck?

Again Thanks, you all have been very helpful! [thumbup][biggrin]

I have SD pups in mine, a Pearly Gates in the neck and a SH-4 JB in the bridge and she sounds fantastic.I think the Hot Rodded set from SD would be a great fit and the price is very reasonable.

I have SD pups in mine, a Pearly Gates in the neck and a SH-4 JB in the bridge and she sounds fantastic.I think the Hot Rodded set from SD would be a great fit and the price is very reasonable.

Thanks, that's probably what I am going to do is get the Hot Rod Pack, as I have used those before and love the clean sound I can get from them. [biggrin]

IMHO, for an Epi SG, I say the Seymour Duncans.

+1. On the Duncan Forum, the most highly recommended PU's for an SG is a Custom 8 (SH-14 with an alnico 8 magnet) in the bridge and a '59N in the neck. Can't beat it.

SG owners owe it to themselves to get a pair.

Archived