Gibson Brands Forums

Let's have "George Harrison Month!"

charlie brown

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trivia:

When Whitlock and Bramlett were figuring out what that freighttrain of a rhythm section would do after the Bramlett tour and Erics solo record, the idea of a Sam and Dave kind of old skewl ballad song typea singing outfit came up as something Whitlock wanted to do. So this became Derek and The Dominos, right? And it was always "...Eric Clapton couldn't make it tonight but his band could...Derek and The Dominos", that's always been the story.

Whitlock originally wanted Dave Mason his former roommate and George Harrison in front of The Dominos, not Eric at all.

There is a recent book, last few years, bio of the Dominos from mostly Whitlocks history of course because Eric is too bigga stah to do that and his own bio-epic was out or soon to be, drummer in the joint, bass player dead. I believe he mentioned his earliest choices, but maybe not very strongly. History is better served if everyone just thinks it was Erics band.

Trivia, from Whitlocks keyboard to my ears, long time ago. Some goofball in usenet typed up that Whitlock was dead, which I vehemently disagreed with. Because of that ended up hooking up with Bobby himself at a time when he didn't think anyone even knew who he was.

rct

George doesn't look too happy with Paul. That wouldn't be the first time. McCartney, who is pure musical genius, could be overbearing and dictatorial at times. Everything's gotta be Paul's way 9 times out of 10.

I noticed that, too. Paul just naturally takes control and directs the next tune, but he doesn't seem to be mean about it. Of course he didn't ask what George and Ringo felt like playing.

I noticed that, too. Paul just naturally takes control and directs the next tune, but he doesn't seem to be mean about it. Of course he didn't ask what George and Ringo felt like playing.

George has spoken out on it before, where Paul would already have all the parts to his songs worked out, then ask George to play it exactly as Paul created it, not allowing for George to contribute his own ideas. I can really see in this clip, where Paul would be tough to work with, or should I say 'for' . I know it seems lighthearted, and innocent, but Georges demeanor say's something different.

PS - I'm a huge Beatles fan myself. I remember playing my mom's albums, Revolver, Sgt Peppers, The Early Beatles all the time, as a tot, back in 68. I then started my own collection.

Maybe??? But, we weren't there, don't know what was (really) going on, if anything,

and are just "projecting" (Again), like we do know. [-X They've all said, in the past,

that most of what was written, about them, was total BS. Even visual's, aren't very

accurate, always, as they were often taken out of context.

I'm just glad they "were" (The Beatles), and for what they gave us! Their personal

stuff, is just that!

CB

Maybe??? But, we weren't there, don't know what was (really) going on, if anything,

and are just "projecting" (Again), like we do know. [-X They've all said, in the past,

that most of what was written, about them, was total BS. Even visual's, aren't very

accurate, always, as they were often taken out of context.

I'm just glad they "were" (The Beatles), and for what they gave us! Their personal

stuff, is just that!

CB

True, CB, but George is also on record voicing his frustration with Paul.

Regardless, I agree wholeheartedly with everything else you say! Differences aside, they were untouchable.

True, CB, but George is also on record voicing his frustration with Paul.

Regardless, I agree wholeheartedly with everything else you say! Differences aside, they were untouchable.

Yeah, and John, with Paul, and Paul with John, and Ringo with all of them, etc.

But, like Ringo said, "when we got back to playing music, together, all the BS went

out the window." I don't know anyone, that close, that doesn't have "issues," now

and then. Bands, families, friends, etc. So...

[biggrin]

CB

Paul always liked to have a certain amount of control in what and how they played and the others passed it off as "Paul being Paul" as early as Ticket To Ride,Paul dictated what he wanted it to sound like by playing the lead break for the outro and all the fill ins himself.By the time that Revolver came out Paul's growing autocracy was growing more evident especially with his insisting that it was he not George play the lead on George's own Taxman,it was as if he begrudged George having all the credit for such a great song.George was always known as being the quiet one hence his massive contribution to the band is often pushed to the wayside but it was his love for different genres of music and unorthodox instruments that largely made their last 4 0r 5 albums the stunning works that they are.

Archived