Gibson Brands Forums

A Short Stratocaster Comparison

bluesguitar65

They both sounded pretty good to me. But the first one definitely had a warmer tone to my ears. Could have been a difference in what you were playing on both (you should've played the same thing on both for a true comparison!), but I definitely like the first one better, tone-wise.

Noticed the Special was the neck pup, and the Standard was the middle pup.

Regardless, I heard a good difference between what I think is a maple neck and a rosewood board on a Strat. To me, while the maple seems brighter unplugged, the rosewood ones always seem to be brighter through an amp.

I liked both, but can't say that there is a fair comparison in those video's to say which is better.

as was pointed out, the 2 guitars are on different pickup settings.

Video's of the same music being played makes it easier too.

that said, I also realize that you did say it was a couple of vids on you computer and edited together not an intended comparison.

The only reason I took the American Deluxe and never gave those 2 models a second look is that I wanted the noisless pickups and locking tuners. For the price I paid it was cheaper to get the American Deluxe than to buy a Standard or a Special. I also later discovered exactly how usefull that S1 switch would really be for me. In some settings it's far easier to engage/disengage the S1 than to change pickup positions and when the right amp/pedal settings provides some very interesting tones.

I liked both, but can't say that there is a fair comparison in those video's to say which is better.

as was pointed out, the 2 guitars are on different pickup settings.

Video's of the same music being played makes it easier too.

that said, I also realize that you did say it was a couple of vids on you computer and edited together not an intended comparison.

The only reason I took the American Deluxe and never gave those 2 models a second look is that I wanted the noisless pickups and locking tuners. For the price I paid it was cheaper to get the American Deluxe than to buy a Standard or a Special. I also later discovered exactly how usefull that S1 switch would really be for me. In some settings it's far easier to engage/disengage the S1 than to change pickup positions and when the right amp/pedal settings provides some very interesting tones.

Yes, the video was not an intended comparison, just putting bits of video clips together. Just clearing out some junk stuff in the laptop and found some clips.

I have a deluxe strat as well and the S1 does come in very hand, specially giving you much greater tone variety than your traditional strat.

Yes, the video was not an intended comparison, just putting bits of video clips together. Just clearing out some junk stuff in the laptop and found some clips.

I have a deluxe strat as well and the S1 does come in very hand, specially giving you much greater tone variety than your traditional strat.

My favorite thing with the S1 is to use a tone with moderate to high gain and then engage the S1 on the neck position. It gives this reall nasally out of phase type sound. Reminds me of a wah left on in a stationary position. I think it's the neck and bridge in series or something to that effect.

I've found this setting on the American Deluxe Strat doesn't really do much on a clean tone except thin it out and lose volume; but with the righ amount of gain there's no volume drop off and you get a tone that's great for leads. It cuts through everything. One thing I've found that helps stop the volume drop off I'd mentioned is when using a tube amp with pedals, set the level control so that you are pushing the tubes to break up and add some natural compression.

I guess you could also use a compressor pedal too - this way you might be able to make this pickup setting usable with a clean tone as well.

My favorite thing with the S1 is to use a tone with moderate to high gain and then engage the S1 on the neck position. It gives this reall nasally out of phase type sound. Reminds me of a wah left on in a stationary position. I think it's the neck and bridge in series or something to that effect.

I've found this setting on the American Deluxe Strat doesn't really do much on a clean tone except thin it out and lose volume; but with the righ amount of gain there's no volume drop off and you get a tone that's great for leads. It cuts through everything. One thing I've found that helps stop the volume drop off I'd mentioned is when using a tube amp with pedals, set the level control so that you are pushing the tubes to break up and add some natural compression.

I guess you could also use a compressor pedal too - this way you might be able to make this pickup setting usable with a clean tone as well.

Now, you just got me into dusting my Strat Deluxe from the closet!!! [flapper] [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

Archived