Gibson Brands Forums

Beater Guitar Part 3

Whitmore Willy

Had some time today so I thought I'd take the next step and try to bring my fretboard back to life.

The board still had the original shoe polish like finish.

Pic of well cared for board and dent at C# position:

1000563z.jpg

Now, I don't recommend this unless you know what you are doing. However, on new Epi guitars I always scrape the fretboard to get rid of the sticky mess that coats them. In this case I am doing it to get rid of that and all the crud that has been impregnated into it.

I hold the edge of a razor blade away from me and drag the blade toward me.

WARNING!!! If you do this over your inlays it WILL SCRATCH THEM! (makes no difference if they are mother of pearl or mother of toilet seat)

You must either work around the inlays or know how to buff them out. I do a combination of both.

On an Epiphone fretboard this will expose grain of the wood and enable conditioning. It is not for everyone.

IT IS A ONE TIME SHOT! Most are better putting up with black fingers until the strings rub the fretboard down and then conditioning it as described in Animalfarm's DIY.

Anyway back on subject. I put a piece of paper over my neck caul and scraped the neck. The paper is so I could save the dust as I later used it:

1000586n.jpg

My C# dent exposed:

1000591h.jpg

I then steamed the dent. This does not work on gouges or nicks, only dents. The wood must still be there.

I put a couple of drops of water on the dent and let it soak in. I added a bit more and placed a damp rag over it.

I then put a steam iron (like you would use for pressing cloths) over the damp cloth.

The heat turns the water to steam and sometimes raises the grain.

I used the tip of the iron only (careful not to touch the frets). A second or two is enough at one time. I didn't

want to soften any glue. I did this a couple of times letting things cool in between.

Bad Pic but you can see some improvement:

1000593.jpg

I then put some of the scrapings (the dust I saved) into what was left of the dent and put a drop of super glue on it:

1000595e.jpg

After drying I hit it (slightly and lightly) with some 600 grit sand paper. I finished it out with 1500 grit (the dented spot only):

1000596.jpg

I then finished it off with some Weiman lemon oil. Old English, Fret Doctor or any conditioner (WITHOUT SILICON) would work:

1000601z.jpg

I now have a playable fretboard with no dents:

1000606qg.jpg

With luck, and an early delivery, tomorrow the bridge/tailpiece.

Willy

I might have to try that trick on my EBM. It has LOTS of dents on the fretboard.

I was lucky. The dent was near the edge where I was able to use a clothing type steam iron. It is something I am used to working with. I get a lot of practice taking dents out of people's pool sticks. (Of course, there you have to worry about warping, not to mention the stick needs to be boned afterwords)

If the dent was further in then I suppose you could use a soldering iron with a broad chisel tip.

I would still use the damp cloth between the dent and the fretboard.

That is something I would want to practice first on a scrap of wood.

Frankly, the steaming helped but the super glue and sawdust filler is what did the trick. Sure hope it holds!?

If I was going to do it on a well cared for fretboard I would alter the process slightly.

I probably would not scrape it.

I would clean the dented area with some naptha. Do a little steaming. I would then get my dust by sanding a scrap piece of hardwood that was stained first to match the fretboard. (never tried it....but I would)

Willy

Willy,

How well do you think the wood shavings and glue will hold? I'm not sure how long that would last on the EBM. Bass strings are pretty large.

I'm not sure. This is my first time trying it.

I think it might depend on the size of the dent.

Superglue is pretty tough stuff. Even with only a drop on the fretboard there is probably more glue than dust in the ding I did.

I also used high quality Titebond super glue....not the cheep stuff.

Others have probably tried it. For all I know there might be something on youtube.

As for me, I got the idea watching a video of a pro changing frets on a rosewood board. After removing the frets, he found some surface splinters caused by the removal. He used quality superglue to glue the splinters back down.

He then sanded and leveled the board before re-fretting.

As I stated when I started, I'm working with a beater so I have nothing to loose. You could try it on a scrap piece of similar density wood. make a dent. Repair it. Sand it. Let it set for a day. Then, see what it takes to dig it back out?

Willy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived