Gibson Brands Forums

guitar question

John1234

Hey I bought a Gibson sg in 2005 and today is the first day I'm cleaning it.

I just swapped out the Klusons for some Grovers so I'm using this opportunity to get rid of the dark grey/black residue that has accumulated all over the fretboard for all these years. It's a rosewood fretboard by the way.

I don't want to buy any polish because I'll lose it before I use it again.

Any household recommendations? I think I have some regular gibson polish laying around. Will that work on the fretboard?

Also the fretboard feels very dry, I imagine that's not a good thing :/

Any advice appreciated.

Use lemon oil for cleaning the board, as it will help loosen the gunk (you can use an old pick as a scraper too!). IF the board feels good after that you can leave it alone. Otherwise, there are several oils and conditioners available for fretboards. I use "Guitar Honey" and have done so for years.

If a fret board has a bunch of gunky build up I always use Isopropyl rubbing alcohol and and a tooth brush to really clean all the gunk out of the pours of the wood and near the fret edges. It evaporates quickly and won't hurt it. After that lemon oil. Apply liberally and wait an hour or so for it to sink in and repeat. Then give it a good wipe down and it will look like new.

Andy

Fret Doctor for me. Ed Boyle is a former chemist and he knows his stuff. I've gotten to know him really well and he's very honest too. In fact he says that "real lemon oil is steam distilled from lemon peel, is quite acidic, with a pH of 3.7 to 4.2. It is an effective cleaner, but wipe it off when you are finished." See here for more info.

Here are some before and after pictures with Fret Doctor:

WreckedChrisIsaac027.jpg

WreckedChrisIsaac009.jpg

Fret Doctor for me. Ed Boyle is a former chemist and he knows his stuff. I've gotten to know him really well and he's very honest too. In fact he says that "real lemon oil is steam distilled from lemon peel, is quite acidic, with a pH of 3.7 to 4.2. It is an effective cleaner, but wipe it off when you are finished." See here for more info.

Here are some before and after pictures with Fret Doctor:

WreckedChrisIsaac027.jpg

WreckedChrisIsaac009.jpg

I wouldn't use what he did [thumbup]

Archived