Gibson Brands Forums

New Custom Classic Question

rzman

These new guitars look great.For all of you guys that have purchased them what are your opinions and observations of the baked maple fret boards? I mean as far as sound, playability and anything else you can say about them.I have also notice on the product page when checking them out they are calling these "Studio Classic Customs". Are these studios ? Thanks in advance Ray

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/75913-hngd-for-cb/

This was a thread, recently, on my new "Classic Custom," and

some of what you've asked, was covered, within that post.

Might have to read a few posts, to find it...but, it's there.

The short version is, I Love the Baked Maple fingerboard, on

mine...tone, and playability. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Edit: The only designation I know of, or could find, on the

Gibson Website, was "Classic Custom." No mention of a "Studio

Classic Custom," that I could find.

On the product page of this site when you click the specks on the right hand side it says "" every Studio Classic Custom comes with hard shell case and liftetime warranty" I really like the cream color but I want to try out that baked maple board.My opinion on this whole fretboard issue with Gibson is that they are going to end up with all of their wood back and the baked maple will fall by the way side. But what do I know ,just my opinion.I just dont think they are going to get the die hard Gibson guys to bite on these new fret boards.I myself am very skepticle but if it sounds and feels good im in! Cant wait to try one out.

Well, "whatever floats your boat!" I've owned many Gibson guitars, for 40+ years,

and they all have Rosewood, or Ebony fingerboards...EXCEPT my newest "Classic

Custom," which is Baked Maple! Love it! So, personally, I don't much care,

what the fingerboard material is, as long as it works well, plays well, and

sounds great! The fingerboard on my Classic Custom, has all of those traits! [thumbup][biggrin]

Traditionalists, may want to stick with "Custom Shop" versions, of their favorite

models, as long as those still have Rosewood, or Ebony boards, that is? :)

IF Gibson does get all it's Rosewood/Ebony back, and has no more trouble, acquiring

more, they may, indeed, decide to go back to those exclusively. In which case, I'll have

a rarer version. Not always a bad thing, you know? [biggrin]

CB

IF Gibson does get all it's Rosewood/Ebony back, and has no more trouble, acquiring

more, they may, indeed, decide to go back to those exclusively. In which case, I'll have

a rarer version. Not always a bad thing, you know?

Very good point. and I agree with you ,if the baked maple sounds good and plays good I am deff getting the Cream colored!!

On the product page of this site when you click the specks on the right hand side it says "" every Studio Classic Custom comes with hard shell case and liftetime warranty" I really like the cream color but I want to try out that baked maple board.My opinion on this whole fretboard issue with Gibson is that they are going to end up with all of their wood back and the baked maple will fall by the way side. But what do I know ,just my opinion.I just dont think they are going to get the die hard Gibson guys to bite on these new fret boards.I myself am very skepticle but if it sounds and feels good im in! Cant wait to try one out.

Oh, yeah...I see that now. I didn't look far enough, I guess? LOL I think that's just a "typo." [biggrin]

CB

Yes, there at the "Specs", in the "Accessories" section, it's called "Les Paul Studio Classic Custom". It's simply a mistake, just like stating "57 Classic" for bridge pickup, although it's a "57 Classic Plus"...

By the way Charlie! What frets does it have? Jumbo, medium-jumbo? I have bit more than a week left to experience it myself, but already very curious... Cheers... Bence

"Medium Jumbo," I'd say. Not huge, but not "Vintage Fender" thin, either.

They are better dressed, than a lot I've seen. So, for now, I'll (probably)

leave them alone. Though, it's tempting, to have them done, after how much

better my Classic played, after it's frets were rounded and polished. But,

I will probably wait, until it really Needs a "fret dressing," as it plays

very nicely, as is.

CB

Archived