Gibson Brands Forums

Purely Selfish Statement post

retrosurfer1959

Well the doctor just pulled all the stitches out of my forearm and elbow and gave me a OK to start playing guitar again. it's been five very long weeks since I could really play with both the numbness and then the surgery on the nerves in the arm and three weeks since I could touch a guitar so I'm pretty pumped.

I don't know who was happier me or the wife I guess I'm not all that nice to be around when I can't play guitar. [-X

Thanks all appreciate the kind thoughts they did a seven inch incision on the inside of the elbow and moved some nerves around to reduce compression on the nerve that had caused some real issue with the use of the pinkie and ring finger on the right hand as well as some muscle issue with the forearm all a continuation of carpal tunnel type problems. Had surgery on the hands (both) last year but still need more work. three weeks with no guitar I've been going crazy especially since two new tube amps have been delivered since the surgery - the Black Heart killer Ant and the Soundworks 1/4 watt. couldn't wait to play them both.

Short feedback on the Killer Ant (sorry but I'm SORE so only played for about a half hour) the amp sounds good not great attack but has true tube sound and easy to push it into distortion and breakup with deafining yourself and everyone around you. It won't last long without modification as the single volume though cool and kind of retro looking it tends to squash and limits the mid's to much for me, but some quick upgrades and parts and a few simple mod's and new tubes and it should be a keeper. the Cabinet is the small 1x10 and it has pretty good tone and sound for a single 10 inch.

the SongWorks Little Lanelei is a great bedroom volume amp has a great sound and tone at a nice practice or recording volume, this one stays just as it is it's such a small amp really amazing that a 6 1/2 speaker can sound so good. Even has a dual out one that leaves the speaker on and a silent setting for a different cab or headphones. No mods or changes for this one it's going in the bedroom for late night practice and Ill haul it into the studio when needed.

the first song I p[lay is always the same when it's been a while or a new guitar comes into my hands "she Talks to Angels by the Black Crow's" at least I'm consistent huh?

Thanks again and if you want a positive statement about guitar playing the surgeon said he'd never done so much work on a person without more advanced action required before use he said my hands and arms were in such good shape in dexterity and strength from playing that no physical therapy was required. bothrange of motion and tendon strength were both much better than he expected so see making all that noise is healthy.

A few years back I was delivering kegs of beer and one fell on my left middle finger tip from a height of 5 feet against a steel truck floor. That was surely a day I thought I would never play again, and indeed it took more than six months to start up. If you want it bad enough, anything is possible.

Archived