Gibson Brands Forums

New York

dc3c46

I'll be goin to the Big Apple next March and I am already

so excited!

The story is : My brother and I did not see each other for 20 years due to

we were all always so busy with work and/or family matters and he lives in

Europe as a practicing Neurosurgeon(they don't manke the million $ like

their counterparts in the U.S) but he's well off.

So in March 1912 him and his wife shall go to Florida for a few weeks.

He had the idea that we meet in New York for 4 days.

Being generous he'll pay for the Hotel and flight. Cool or what?

Now I need to find out what is important and interesting to see/do

in the Big Apple. Museums I already checked out, B.B. King Blues Bar

and Strawberry Field in Central Park too.

Any New Yorkers here to give me some good tips?

Best pie in the 5 boroughs is Joe's Pizza on 7 Carmine Street in the West Village. Its right by Washington Square Park. You will save a ton of money if you can figure out the subway instead of taking cabs everywhere. Metropolitan Museum of Art in Central Park is the greatest museum I have been to by a long shot, and its pretty cheap to get in. And...um....no reason to go north of 110th Street unless you feel like touring Columbia U. But most of all, have fun! Go Knicks!

Plan ahead, dont just go to NYC and assume finding all the "interesting" things to see will be easy to find. Thats one of the biggest mistakes tourists make IMO.

Now i'm sure your interested in a guitar stores. Theres quite a few. My fav is Rudys Music, then theres a few other fine ones like 30th street guitars and the big GC. Even if your not a big fan of GC you might as well go just to see all the vintage guitars in stock.

Plan ahead, dont just go to NYC and assume finding all the "interesting" things to see will be easy to find. Thats one of the biggest mistakes tourists make IMO.

You read my mind. I grew up in NJ, and even when I was working in Teaneck I'd plan all trips into Manhattan in advance... [biggrin]

Wow. The guy asks about cool things to do in NY, and gets a bunch of "NY ROCKS!" responses on his thread. Well, thanks for the help. He already knows NY rocks, that's why he is going there. So how about helping the guy out with some cool things to do?

You mentioned you may be there in the summer? Go scalp a couple of Mets tickets. F the Yankees.

Time Square is transformed into a farmer's market/ urban vendors mall on Saturdays during the summer. Its a great place to get eats and browse the shops. If you got a lady @ home, you can get her a handbag on the cheap.

I have always loved theater, so you can drop a buck + a head on Broadway tickets for a crappy show, or check out one of Joseph Papp's Public Theater performances of Shakespeare in the park, which run all summer long. They often receive better reviews than any Spiderman musical, and are free.

Bring a jacket and tie, and check out an art show. Many offer free wine and cheese, and its a great chance to meet people, check out modern art, and hang out.

Now i'm sure your interested in a guitar stores. Theres quite a few. My fav is Rudys Music, then theres a few other fine ones like 30th street guitars and the big GC. Even if your not a big fan of GC you might as well go just to see all the vintage guitars in stock.

Thanks for the tip about Rudys Music and 30th st guitars. Checked their website and looks worthwile to visit.

What do you think about the B.B. King Bar? Is it worthwile to book a brunch or fogetaboutit?

Thanks for the tip about Rudys Music and 30th st guitars. Checked their website and looks worthwile to visit.

What do you think about the B.B. King Bar? Is it worthwile to book a brunch or fogetaboutit?

I know a few friends who went there, its not special. In reailty its just a run of the mill bar with B.B. Kings name, pics of him and the occasional live gig. But if your a huge fan of him then id say go.

Archived