Gibson Brands Forums

played SG bass at gig

69tele

well road tested the SG bass at its first gig last night,

very pleased with the results, VERY different form my usual J-bass, its kind of a totally different approach to playing, posture...everything !!

very comfy to play, and light, also took my SG61 RI and at times even confused them when taking out of the guitar rack

also pleased to say the felt washer i fitted to the neck pup stopped the annoying ratlle

my review

http://www.gear-review.co.uk/reviews/sgbass/index.htm

Thanks for posting the link to your review and sound clips, some really nice funk/jazz style playing. I'm awaiting the arrival of an SG bass so this helped psych me up for it. Currently use a Hofner 62 reissue, Gibson SB 400 , and a franken-bass that was a lightweight Korean that I put a Fender P-Bass pup in. I've had Fender basses in the past so the SG is new ground and I was looking to add a different sound to the arsenal. Hope you get to play out the year in style...

Thanks for your kind comments.. it is indeed a great bass and very different to other alternatives out there.

i've had an issue as meniotned in the review a rattling neck pup, but have fixed using some felt washers.

Have another two gigs this weekend so playing her again.

I am however not taking my SG guitar last time they are so similiar i kept mixing them up !

What gauge strings are you currently using on the SG Bass? I've ordered a set of Roto Sound 88S 's that go from 65 to 115 and have on hand a set that are 50 to 100. Gibson customer service states they ship the bass with 45 to 105s on it. I favor flatwounds and I do my own setups so adjusting the neck and intonation for the heavier set is no problem. Just don't know if it's overkill.

Reilly81

just the standard 45-105s that come stock quite happy with those and I have ordered a spare set of ddarios 45-105s as well.

let us know how you get on with the rotosounds.

played another two gigs with it this weekend as well, very good instrument and its so comfortable to play

just the standard 45-105s that come stock quite happy with those and I have ordered a spare set of ddarios 45-105s as well.

let us know how you get on with the rotosounds.

played another two gigs with it this weekend as well, very good instrument and its so comfortable to play

I just put on GHS Boomers 107s. They give a little more sustain and volume than the stock strings. This guitar is great for recording, I also have an SG 61 RI and find the 2 compliment each other well. The SG cant compete with my Fender 62 RI Jazz bass as far as shaking the studio but it is great having it as another option. For recording it is great, you cant tell it is a short scale less thunderous bass.

VP

I agree on both counts I also have a 61 RI and took them both together on a gig last week.

my main bass has also always been a Fender Jazz (marcus miller model) and will always be but its nice such a different sounding and playing SG Bass.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived