Gibson Brands Forums

Pau Ferro fingerboards?

feldkeen4

If it was chosen by Stevie Ray Vaughan for a Fender signature guitar before his death. It might be a easier sell by Gibson as a replacement for rosewood. Just drop some money to use the SRV name and it would add instant creedence to the product. Of course this advertising idea, would have to be approved by my lawyers.

Pau Ferro is a great fingerboard material as is Orange Osage, Padauk, Blood Wood, Granadillo, Purple Heart and many others. My personal favorite wood for fingerboards is Cocobolo. Three of my basses have phenolic fingerboards and they are all fantastic.

The question is will Gibson buyers buy guitars with strange fingerboards? I think we are about to find out.

Pau Ferro is a great fingerboard material as is Orange Osage, Padauk, Blood Wood, Granadillo, Purple Heart and many others. My personal favorite wood for fingerboards is Cocobolo. Three of my basses have phenolic fingerboards and they are all fantastic.

The question is will Gibson buyers buy guitars with strange fingerboards? I think we are about to find out.

I agree cocobolo is a very nice fingerboard material and looks amazing. I know of a few luthiers who use it as a main body wood also

The first choice by SRV for his signature model was Brazilian Rosewood. That is what is on my SRV strat. I think after the first run or two it became a cost issue and they switched to Pau Ferro.

Brazilian rosewood is awesome! It really has a tighter grain than my other rosewood guitars.

Just wondering, can Koa and Walnut be used for fingerboards?

Koa and Walnut would be too soft for a long last fingerboard. Not that it couldn't be used but it wo wear much faster than Rose Wood or other much harder woods.

Brizilian Rosewood is concidered the best of the rose woods for look and hardness but it's been illegal to import it into the US since 1967. Small stock plies were around till the mid 80's but now that is mostly gone.

Brizilian Rosewood is concidered the best of the rose woods for look and hardness but it's been illegal to import it into the US since 1967. Small stock plies were around till the mid 80's but now that is mostly gone.

This would explain why there were only a few runs of the SRV strat that used Brazilian rosewood.

Koa and Walnut would be too soft for a long last fingerboard. Not that it couldn't be used but it wo wear much faster than Rose Wood or other much harder woods.

Thanks, I knew there must have been a reason beyond aesthetics.

Archived