Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson S1 ?

drumrnmuzik

Hey all,

My local guitar shop has a Gibson S1 for sale and I was wondering if anyone has info about the neck.

The neck looks pretty wide, not like my LP. Also the fretts are way low (and pretty worn out too). I like the sound of it, and it feels good. I believe that it's the first year adler body because it's not too heavy.

If anyone could tell me the neck profile and width, I be greatful.

Thanks muchly.

Well, it was a parts guitar, play a Flyin Vee from that time, that's the neck they used. I don't remember what it was like, prolly a little clubby like most of them were.

How much could they possibly ask for onea them things?

rct

Well, it was a parts guitar, play a Flyin Vee from that time, that's the neck they used. I don't remember what it was like, prolly a little clubby like most of them were.

How much could they possibly ask for onea them things?

rct

I'd like to know, too. I think there's something rather neat about them. Don't know why, though...

Although they were meant as a cheap (for a Gibson) guitar with a bolt-on neck etc., there were a few very interesting things about them. The p-ups were a special Lawrence design and the switching options were rumoured to be very good and very varied; like a (cheaper?) version of the L6S chicken-head selector wiring.

I'd like to try one out myself, TBH. One of the rosewood neck ones.

The original fret-wire fitted seems to have been 'wide and low' so that would help explain the apparent amount of fret-wear.

I had a Gibson 'The Paul'. It was the first decent new electric guitar I ever bought. Had a great chainsaw case. I'm thinking the neck profile would be similar to the S1. I don't know any measurements but it was nice to play. I am sure someone here will eventually tell us the exact specs of an S1 neck!

Thanks for the feedback

This S1 sounds great, even with the rusty wires.

They want €650 ($875) for it. Mostly because it belonged to Franco Mussida. A famous Italian guitarist. (he beat the hell out of the guitar) Must have loved big belt buckles because the finish is recked on the back. I've seen local ads for more then €1200...

Chubby, yeah, that is a good term for the neck feel. Chubby and low. Must be really fast for leads, I'm just afraid of getting tetanus from the wires to give it a work out. The barre chords really stretch out.

Anyway the sound is great. Real close to a Strat, but different. It would definitely be a project. Change the fretts, replace the pickguard that is warped. Change the new wrong tuners.

I'd probably leave the recked finish since it show's it's history. All the chrome is pitted too, so it would take some trips to the plating shop. Oh yeah, the neck has been remove by some d!#k head, because the philip head screws are wrecked too.

On second choice there a sweet little '60's SG single coil that is going for €600. Cracked old finish, but no abuse done to it.

3 piece laminated maple neck, 1 11/16 nut width. We have some additional information at customer service if you would like to email us. service@gibson.com

Archived