Gibson Brands Forums

In praise of the IB'64 Texan....

dhanners623

I know vintage Texans are prized among collectors and players, and for good reason. But I gotta tell ya, I went to one of my local guitar shops over the weekend (a nationally famous shop in St. Paul that deals in vintage American-made instruments) to check out a '66 Texan they had on their website. The web blurb says the guitar "sounds good with crisp Gibson made goodness." I looked it over and it appears original except for some Grovers and somewhere along the line, somebody took out the adjustable saddle, filled the slot and made a new saddle. Whomever did it did a professional job. The shop wants $2,499 for the guitar.

Anyway, I took the guitar off the wall and played it. Not to sound like hyperbole, but if you gave me the choice between it and the IB'64 Texan I got a couple of years ago, I'd keep the IB'64. It just sounds better than this guitar. Mine seems to have more resonance and more projection and just better overall tone. Yeah, it lacks the vintage vibe, but not the sound.

I know every guitar is an individual and there are some vintage Texans out there that are world-beaters. But at least in this instance, I can honestly say my guitar sounded better than one that cost two grand more. Yeah, I wish my guitar had been made in the U.S., but I gotta say they did a good job when they built mine.

I just had to say that....

Oh man...the bridge is one of the most important thing's when it come to sound/playability. I had my old FT-145SB's bridge replaced because the original broke and it was never the same, it became very hard to play, still sound's good but has super high action. It maybe possible to put a shim under the neck but thats going to be a job as some one gorilla glued the bolt-on joint together. I didn’t give much for the guitar in the first place so it was no big loss.

Oh man...the bridge is one of the most important thing's when it come to sound/playability. I had my old FT-145SB's bridge replaced because the original broke and it was never the same, it became very hard to play, still sound's good but has super high action. It maybe possible to put a shim under the neck but thats going to be a job as some one gorilla glued the bolt-on joint together. I didn’t give much for the guitar in the first place so it was no big loss.

The bridge/saddle on the '66 Texan had been professionally redone. Whoever did it did a good job of finding matching wood to fill the slot, and the new saddle, although the action seemed a bit low, was intonated correctly. I don't think this guitar's "issues," such as they were, involved the lack of an adjustable saddle.

I too, am a proud owner, of the IB '64 Texan! Great sounding, and playing guitar,

all the way around! My dealer told me, months later, that it was their best selling

Epi acoustic, at that time. The Masterbilts, also sell very well, of course.

DSC_0021.jpg

(Image taken the day I bought it....case handle "wrapping" has since been removed..[tongue][biggrin])

CB

I too, am a proud owner, of the IB '64 Texan! Great sounding, and playing guitar,

all the way around! My dealer told me, months later, that it was their best selling

Epi acoustic, at that time. The Masterbilts, also sell very well, of course.

(Image taken the day I bought it....case handle "wrapping" has since been removed..[tongue][biggrin])

CB

Post the picture of the back of that guitar, too, CB. It's lovely.

Red 333

david, how much did it cost you to have the texan converted to LH?

also, if you ever selling anything, please let me know

thanks

Actually, Dubstar, the only thing left-handed about the guitar is the pickguard. I play left-handed and "upside down," meaning I take a righty guitar and just point it in the other direction. Put another way, when I play the treble strings are closest to the ceiling, the bass strings next to the floor. It's just the way I learned when I was a kid. When my older brother went off to college, he left behind his old Stella, which had no pickguard on it, so when I taught myself to play, I had no idea the guitar was upside down. I just held it the way that felt natural.

As I recall, the pickguard is one I ordered from Epiphone a few years ago for another guitar and never wound up using. But when I got this guitar, I removed the stock pickguard (when you're a lefty, you learn how to do such things) and then put the left-handed pickguard on.

Actually, Dubstar, the only thing left-handed about the guitar is the pickguard. I play left-handed and "upside down," meaning I take a righty guitar and just point it in the other direction. Put another way, when I play the treble strings are closest to the ceiling, the bass strings next to the floor. It's just the way I learned when I was a kid.

That blows my mind. I guess it's true that it's easier for young minds to adapt to challenges...

Red 333

That blows my mind. I guess it's true that it's easier for young minds to adapt to challenges...

Red 333

I have a friend, that I played in a band with, in HS and College, that is left handed,

played guitar the same way, as David (upside down), until he got a proper "left-handed"

guitar. Now, he can play both ways! LOL Which is just Amazing, to me! I'm doing well,

to play at all, much less upside down. [tongue][biggrin]

CB

As I've mentioned before, I bought one of these and it was a real dog. One of the least subtle, worst sounding guitars I have ever played. Only a hammer would have helped open it up, so I returned it. But my local Best Buy, of all places, has one that sounds great. So if you buy one and its a dog, keep shopping. You might have bought the one I returned. [laugh]

I am really pleased for you David, your IB-64 Texan is a particularly fine example, with great tone, and it sounds really good on your excellent songs.

I too have a very nice IB-64 Texan, but it isn`t a patch on my 1962 model! The 62 has a wonderful tone, with a deep woody bass, sparkling trebles, and a balance which is a dream, along with the best neck profile I have yet played.

My 62 & IB-64 side by side.

P1010784.jpg

Steve.

Archived