Gibson Brands Forums

For those with multiple guitars...

Tim Plains

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I try to play each guitar at least once a week' date=' that way, they are kept relatively in tune and I'll notice if any maintenance issues have developed. Otherwise, I tend to focus on the LP Supreme and Strat for rock, and the T5 for jazz and pop stuff.[/quote']

Would love to see pics of that T5...

I can't see keeping guitars that I don't LOVE to play. Especially if there's fresh GAS symptoms.

In my opinion, you shouldn't buy a guitar unless you love playing it. Therefore, I don't see the point in selling guitars unless you absolutely need to. What's the point in getting a new guitar if you have to trade off an old one that you really like? And if you're sick of it, why did you buy it in the first place?

No offense to anyone who constantly buys and sells guitars, but I prefer to keep all of mine.

...hmm, that last sentence makes it sound like I actually have a lot of guitars...

I try to play each guitar at least once a week' date=' that way, they are kept relatively in tune and I'll notice if any maintenance issues have developed. Otherwise, I tend to focus on the LP Supreme and Strat for rock, and the T5 for jazz and pop stuff.[/quote']

Hey Nsureit... Is that you crossing the street with the Beatles in your avatar??? Can we see a close up of that? BTW, got any good health insurance?

In my opinion' date=' you shouldn't buy a guitar unless you love playing it. Therefore, I don't see the point in selling guitars unless you absolutely need to. What's the point in getting a new guitar if you have to trade off an old one that you really like? And if you're sick of it, why did you buy it in the first place?

No offense to anyone who constantly buys and sells guitars, but I prefer to keep all of mine.

...hmm, that last sentence makes it sound like I actually have a lot of guitars...[/quote']

I don't know if I really like a guitar until I've had for a few weeks. So, if one falls by the wayside, and I haven't played it in a while, I'll sell it. I average selling a buying about one guitar per year, and try to not have more than 4 guitars at a time.

In my opinion' date=' you shouldn't buy a guitar unless you love playing it. Therefore, I don't see the point in selling guitars unless you absolutely need to. What's the point in getting a new guitar if you have to trade off an old one that you really like? And if you're sick of it, why did you buy it in the first place?

...hmm, that last sentence makes it sound like I actually have a lot of guitars...[/quote']

I wish I could keep all of mine. The ones I've sold/traded I did love playing but found something else later that

"does it" for me even more. Not enough room or cash for everything.

i keep my les pauls in the closet believe it or not unless recording or playing out . but i do have an acoustic and a tele that ill plug in from time to time. when i go to practice i use my cherry sunburst because its great for slide and i finally got it just right. my honeyburst has thee lowest action ever . the local music store owner when i brought it to him to check out asked me who set this up because he was very impressed by it. on that note i like higher action myself with a heavier guage string (11's) . the honeyburst has 10's on it and i think im nervous to raise the action and restring it because its set up so nice. im afraid of it i guess > hahahaha.

I generally practice everyday on my old beat up Takamine acoustic. It helps maintain my finger strength. When I feel like playing electric I'll generally play my Gibson Sonex first. She was my first, so I'll always have a fondness for her. I also practice on my mexican strat. The Les Pauls get played at least a couple times a week to remind me of what I couldn't afford as a kid! The other higher-end guitars are less frequently played.

While I rotate my guitars' date=' I also squeeze in time for playing piano and drums. Drums not so much anymore... it's been once a month for the last little while. However I do play piano daily as I am better at it than guitar. (and yes, FYI, that means I'm awesome at piano, not that I suck at guitar, thank you very much.)[/quote']

Interesting point here. I've played piano since I was 8 years old and guitar since I was 13. I was initially trained as a classical pianist and then moved into jazz. I practiced like crazy because I wanted to major in piano and actually got accepted to both Eastman and Berklee (became a rocket scientist instead). When I got the music bug back I *really* got into playing guitar and bought a bunch in the last few years. The only piano playing I do these days is organ for my church. I've spent the last few years trying to learn every Alex Lifeson and SRV guitar solo though.

OK, I know, my music interests are all over the place, but my #1 guitar interest is Gibson!

Hey Nsureit... Is that you crossing the street with the Beatles in your avatar??? Can we see a close up of that? BTW' date=' got any good health insurance?[/quote']

My daughter photoshopped this from an actual photo my wife took of me in the crosswalk.

abbeyroad-dadcopy.jpg

_MG_3006.jpg

Archived