Gibson Brands Forums

Dot Deluxe question

badfrog

Hello,

I just saw a really nice Epipphone Dot for sale. It's red with flamewood top, and the inside label says it's a Deluxe. Problem is it as silver hardware and from what I've seen it's usally gold hardware. THe guy says he as not changed anything but the knobs. Running the serial tells me it was made in 2005. Have you ever heard of deluxe dot's with silver hardware ?

T

Welcome.

I think you are correct. I recall seeing a used red flamed delux a little while ago

and it had gold hardware.

What color are the bushings that hold the tail piece in? If they are gold, then you know for sure.

Most won't go to the trouble of changing those. If they are chrome and so is everything else, I'd say

they did a good job swapping them out. Or perhaps it actually came that way.

How does the chrome look? Some around here prefer it over gold.

The Dot Deluxe typically does have gold hardware, but its not unheard of to find some Epiphone guitars with different hardware color than spec'd. It could be a dealer exclusive or just one that happened to have chrome hardware for some reason. This type of thing happens once in awhile. It just makes yours a little more unique than the regular Deluxes.

The black knobs are a nice touch

over regular gold top hats.

I agree on the knobs. I also like the look of the chrome better than the gold. My guess is 10 years down the road, you'll be glad you aren't looking at the gold finish coming off. Normally, I don't go for red guitars (a hold over from my old Harmony Rocket days?), but you've got one classy looking rig there. Enjoy it.

I have two Dot Deluxes: one red, the other vintage sunburst. Both have gold hardware. Nice guitars.

I had a Joe Pass that I bought used (and have since sold). The previous owner have switched to over it chrome hardware & PU's. When you buy a used guitar, you never know for sure what's been changed. Most of the time nothing, but it does happen.

Archived