Gibson Brands Forums

New Banjo Help "Update"

Rocky4

I got a new Epiphone banjo for Christmas. I don't have a clue how to tune it or set it up. It came with no instructions. The bridge needed to be put in place so I need help knowing where to place it. I already broke a string trying to tune it. I don't see an Epiphone banjo section of the forum. Where do I go?

I got a new Epiphone banjo for Christmas. I don't have a clue how to tune it or set it up. It came with no instructions. The bridge needed to be put in place so I need help knowing where to place it. I already broke a string trying to tune it. I don't see an Epiphone banjo section of the forum. Where do I go?

First off, congrats on having the cojones to tell everyone you actually have a banjo!! LOL, kidding, it's on my gas list as well.

Toyed with one years ago, and don't quote me, but as I remember, it's tuned (starting with the short 5th string) G (an octave up), D G B D. Almost the same as a guitar except for the high D. As for your other questions, can't help, but as always, Google and YouTube are your friend. Have fun!!

The most common banjo tuning is Open G. Same tuning the DennisG spelled out.

I bought a used Samick about a year ago and have learned a little bit on it. I couldn't get mine to sound right, so I took it to a local shop to get it set up. That helped a lot. If you do that, you'll be able to see where they set the bridge and just put it in the same spot when you change strings. I've learned a little how to play it, but haven't dedicated myself to really practicing it.

Congratz and enjoy. B)

You can use your tuner to set the bridge in the same way you would set the intonation on an electric guitar. Tune the string to pitch and then check the harmonic at fret 12 compared to the fretted not at fret 12. Move bridge until they are equal. You can also mark the top with a pencil (or pen) once the bridge is in place to help with future string changes. They are (generally) tuned to open G so Keith Richards licks work really well until you get something more banjoish going. [biggrin]

Intonation and tuning are easily fixed, and you can find any number of articles online or follow the advice already posted. More importantly than mechanics, you need to have an idea of the tone you want before getting neck deep in a setup. Type of tone ring as well as overall tone will determine how to adjust the head and tailpiece. String selection and pick selection is important also. Major components of the setup and hence action, is the neck relief and bridge. The bridge is a major factor in your tone as well. Luckily a high quality head and bridge will run you between $50 and $75. Strings and picks are cheap so buy a bunch and find what works best for you.

Update.

I've got it tuned, and placed the bridge in the right position. I've ordered a lower bridge from Stew Mac to get better action. Strange instrument. The high G string throws me off when fretting considering it doesn't come from the head stock. I've learned to practice "rolls" which are picking sequences that are to be able to be played without thinking. Melodies are added after I get those down. It's very fun and I imagine the fingerpicking will help on the guitar also. A lot of work ahead for me. I won't be playing Foggy Mountain Breakdown for quite a while, but I'm enjoying it. I've got an Epiphone MB 200. Made in China, but favorably reviewed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apiGwX8Hgvk

The problem I have with learning banjo, is that the instructions I've seen all say to finger pick with the thumb, index and middle fingers. I learned years ago both classical and Travis pick on guitar, which uses thumb and 3 fingers.

I've started to learn the banjo roll patterns, but my ring finger keeps wanting to join in the picking. #-o

If you want to use your ring finger, that's fine. It's not "Scruggs" style or two-finger, or whatever other style. The great thing is that it's your style. I would offer these two points, though. One, it may have a minimal impact on your tone since you're not resting your ring finger on the head. Two, it may limit your speed on some licks like the 2nd string hammer-on lick from Foggy Mountain Breakdown. But hey, use what works for you.

Don't forget the most important thing about a banjo: the weight. When the guitar pickers start laughing at you and using you for jokes, the banjo makes a great bat. Even an AJ or a super jumbo will crumble before it...........Once you've got the tuning down, you'll be fine.

I may be wrong and newer stuff may be better, but back in the '60s a lotta folks learned along with it. I used it and did a little bit of different stuff on the banjo - and Foggy Mountain wasn't all that hard although I doubt I could pick it now 35 years after I had folks to play it with.

Boil them cabbage down works better frailing, IMHO, compared to Scruggs pickin', but remember I came through the folkie era.

This is pricey, but sounds half decent as a learning tool, too. It includes the book and a newer model dvd.

http://www.amazon.com/Pete-Seeger-Banjo-Pack-5-String/dp/1423496922

m

Archived