Gibson Brands Forums

Odd amount of fret wear?

McDuff

I was changing the my strings today in anticipation of playing with some of the new recording toys I got for christmas and noticed an odd and rather deep indent on the first through fifth frets under my B string. I am aware that frets will wear down but what's odd is that under the B string it is inconsistently deep when compared to the other strings and I am wondering if this indicates some kind of set-up problem. It should also be said the E string is the second most worn but still not as much as the B.I have also noticed that on the G string in-particular it seems the strings wear down directly over the frets which seems odd.

Am I being paranoid by worrying about this?

The B string is the orneriest one on an acoustic guitar (got to have some miles on ya to know that word!). It is of a small diameter, relatively stiff and, given a particular style of play, will be the first to eat frets. How long have you had the guitar? Do you work on the B string pretty heavy in that area of the board? Do you have more than one guitar that shows this wear? It's not a setup problem. Just normal wear and tear from rockin' out. It's of no concern until the groove gets deep enough to cause fret rattle. Then it's time for a fret dress.....next time it might take a re-fret job to make it right.

I suppose I have had this guitar for about two years now. I wish I had another I could compare it with however being a student I only have the one to really look at (before this one I used to play my Dads old Washburn).

As far as play style goes I suppose I may work the B string quite a bit I have never really thought about it but it certainly is over the frets I tend to play over the most.

I have 8 guitars and all have fret wear. I have had to have 1 refrettted and 4 that need at least to have frets dressed. 2 are only 3 years or less old. I play 10 -12 hours a week. I try to rotate the guitars but it is hard to do that if you find certain songs sound better on a particular guitar and play that song a lot. Frets are like tires on a car. Sometimes you need new.

On my SongBird(2001 model), I've had it re-fretted twice. The first six frets. I'm pretty heavy handed, so I've been told! Strong grip. I guess that comes across on my guitars as well. My SJ(2008 model) isn't in to bad shape yet! Like Buc and J45nic say, it's just normal wear and taer from playing! It's the only damage that your guitar likes!!!

Archived