Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG Tremelo arm

PorcelainChair

Hey guys I've been looking online to see if I can find a tremelo arm replacement for my SG but haven't had any luck. The problem with mine is that the arm is bent too much so when I'm trying to play it causes my picking hand to be too far from the strings. The arm was like this when I got it and I'm not sure if it's a defect because I have seen other guitars similar to mine and they all have lower arms. I was just wondering if anyone knew a place a can purchase only the arm or if anyone has a suggestion on how I can fix my current one. The guitar won't fit in my case because the arm is so high and it is not easily removable so I can't practically use my case.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. If you can, post a picture of the issue (it's worth a thousand words, you know) and maybe someone else has an idea. I'm guessing from you description that the arm is to a maestro (lyre) tremelo. Allparts sells a resonable facimile of one and they may sell the arms separately. But I have to believe tha yours can be bent around to work. Try taking a picture and uploading it.

I do not recommend putting a Fender style tremolo bridge on an SG. You have to cut away too much wood. That would wreck the sustain. Also, I believe the string spacing is different between Fender and Gibson. So if you put a Fender style tremolo bridge on your Epiphone guitar, you would have to swap out the pickups for some that are Fender spaced. You can put a Bigsby tremolo bridge on your guitar. Gibson uses those on certain models. They are top mount and therefore do not need the cavity for the tremolo block or the rear springs cavity. A Bigsby will run you between $100 and $125 depending on the model and where you get it. Installation would be extra, if you cannot handle the job yourself. At least you would not need to swap out the pickups.

I do not recommend putting a Fender style tremolo bridge on an SG. You have to cut away too much wood. That would wreck the sustain. Also, I believe the string spacing is different between Fender and Gibson. So if you put a Fender style tremolo bridge on your Epiphone guitar, you would have to swap out the pickups for some that are Fender spaced. You can put a Bigsby tremolo bridge on your guitar. Gibson uses those on certain models. They are top mount and therefore do not need the cavity for the tremolo block or the rear springs cavity. A Bigsby will run you between $100 and $125 depending on the model and where you get it. Installation would be extra, if you cannot handle the job yourself. At least you would not need to swap out the pickups.

The guitar already has a factory fitted Maestro tremolo judging by the OP, it's only that the arm on it is sitting too high.

It's supposed to be like that. When you want to put it in the case, just flip the arm back. Like this....

SGtrem.jpg

Ha !!!!!!!! I was going to mention that, but it would have been a "thread killer" !!!!! I was also waiting to see where this thread was going to be moved to :unsure: [sneaky] .......

That's what I would use. Take the arm off, hang towels over both jaws, set it in there (be sure that the plastic arm tip isn't going to take any abuse) and slowly crank 'er down. Check it for fit, then remount. Seriously.

Archived