Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - 2011 STD

Hydra26

Well, I finally did it. I'm not really much of an SG guy but I'd been wanting one for a while, but the problem is black is a fingerprint (and maintenance) nightmare for me, and I really don't care for red on gutiars and those were the only finishes I could readily get. I'm usually an explorer guy, although I have a good mix of other kinds., SO I hemmed and I hawed, watched and waited. Missed the boat on the emerald supremes while they were still being made. I'd consigned myself to getting a 61 RI even thought I disliked the color. (looks aren't the most important thing, but hey, they matter to me). Then I saw the 2011 SG's with the baked maple boards. Awesome! I drove out to the store 2 hours away and tried one out. Fantastic. The new boards made them sound just a tiny bit punchier. I was pleased. Except, they only had red and white. Ok, maybe I'd get the white one, but the binding looked pink next to a white finish when new. Such a minor thing, but you want everything to be perfect when you shell out for a USA product. So I passed, a little disappointed.

Fast forward a few months and I got real interersted in the Midtown Customs. So again I drove out to the store to see what they had, but alas only black. (By the way, it was an awesome sounding and playing guitar. It looks like they kept the cost lower by making it a flat top instead of carved and dropping the controls through a cavity in the back rather than through the f-hole, but still a fantastic guitar and worth the price). So, a little disappoitned I thought I'd wander around the store a little and see what else they had kicking around. 15 min later I was putting this in my car for the trip home.

2012-01-12_20-34-44_719.jpg

Yep, my favorite color, no less. I still prefer the sound of my LP's but this sounds good in it's own right, and it's nice not to have a backache after an hour of standing with it. Only complaint is the whole back is solid black. Woulda been nice if they did a burst on the back and neck to show off the wood a little better. Oh well, it doesn't hurt the sound any.

Thanks guys, and yes it's a baked maple board. A little lighter than some I've seen, but really, you don't notice it when you're playing. It just feels smooth and sounds tight. And I think I'm going to like the fact that it's not open grain and isn't going to hang on to dust/dirt from a maintenance standpoint.

I absolutely love the color on the body. It just kinda gives it that old world, vintage vibe to me. Espec with the darker center the mahog gives it. This is not an awesome comparison but it's like they same mood that you get standing in a nice kitchen with all handmade hardwood cabinetry. I've still got to get knob pointer washers put on it and maybe change the strings out and reintone.

Well, she sounds pretty nice and plays awesome. I'm about to change the strings to nickel strings and put my usual pointer washers on and give her a nice wipe down. But before I do I thought I'd snap some quick photos for posterity. Here's one with and without flash. Looks positively late 70's/early 80's if you ask me :) Thanks for all the positive comments and well wishes.

DSC00518.jpg

DSC00517.jpg

Well I've got my straplocks, pointers and strings on. One thing that occurred to me, this thing has no neck dive. I'd been led to believe from a million interwebz opinions over the years that I was likely going to have severe dive, but it stays where I put it. Very cool.

Well I've got my straplocks, pointers and strings on. One thing that occurred to me, this thing has no neck dive. I'd been led to believe from a million interwebz opinions over the years that I was likely going to have severe dive, but it stays where I put it. Very cool.

could you please post a pic of your pointers? i'm always curious as to how others set them up. i bought mine relic'd and bent them up 90º.

5625839808_7d20c01594.jpg

about the neck dive: not every SG has it. plastic buttons, though not the only factor, make a huge difference.

could you please post a pic of your pointers? i'm always curious as to how others set them up. i bought mine relic'd and bent them up 90º.

about the neck dive: not every SG has it. plastic buttons, though not the only factor, make a huge difference.

Interesting on the buttons. Shoulda thought of that but i was more amazed at the lack of dive given the relative thickness of the neck and the thinness of the body.

I do my pointers the same way. Bend em up 90 deg with a pair of needle nose before putting them on. Then I crank up the pots all the way and line up the "10" marker with the pointer, checking to make sure it's oriented relative to the other knobs with the numbering in the same direction/apot. When I'm happy with that, I tighten the nuts back down over the pots so the pointers won't wiggle out of place and push the knobs back on.

2012-01-14_23-33-08_226.jpg

Tophats with inserts tend to sit lower on the pots and hide the washers and stuff except for the pointy bits that stick out. Amber top hats seem to sit high like speed knobs. (I would speculate the gold ones do too but I haven't puit any on top of pointers to know for sure)

Archived