Gibson Brands Forums

SG 61 Reissue -- new or used?

Chuck005

I've decided that I want to buy an SG 61 reissue. The only question I have is, new or used? Any opinion is welcome, but I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone with firsthand knowledge or experience. Is there any difference in quality between a 61RI built today to one built 5, 10, or 15 years ago? Are they still built completely in Nashville or are some components farmed out to overseas suppliers? Thanks for any help.

Nice choice!!!!! '61RI's are awesome.

I would just say you need to get together the features you desire and look for one that has them all.

Mine was built in 2001. Came with Slim-taper neck, if I remember corrctly (neck is very flat, and not rounded), and tapered horn points and deep bevels.

Only differences I know between then and now are:

1. Nowadays, they may be using a different bridge (Nashville?) than the ABR bridge like in 2001. If someone could confirm this? I have only heard of this in forum chatter.

2. Also, mine has '57 Classic pups in both pup positions, where nowadays, they are using a '57-plus pup in the bridge position, I believe I have heard.

3. In 2001, you had the option to have a Maestro lyre vibrola on it, or the stop bar tailpiece. Now they don't have the option anymore - just the stop bar.

4. Double check that the fingerboard wood is the kind you want. It may not always be rosewood these days. Seems like Gibson is using different woods for boards. I don't know what is being used these days on the '61 models.

I don't know if the quality of build is different or not from years past, but I would have no hesitation in buying a new one that had all the features I wanted in it if I was buying one these days. If the 2011 SG Bass I bought is any indication of Gibson build quality these days, I would not hesitate. It came flawless body and craftsmanship.

Here's my 2001 '61RI:

DSCN0378.jpg

tapered horns:

P8200048.jpg

Here is a link to some of the specs from the 2001 catalog:

http://www.everythingsg.com/index.php/2001g.html

EDIT:

According to taday's website, the fboard is North American Rosewood, and both pups are '57 Classics.

Hardware on 2001 specs says "nickel", 2012 says "chrome".

Here are the specs from todays page:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-61-Reissue/Specs.aspx

PS- if you are interested in more 2001 specs, I'll be happy to post more pics and get any measurements you like.

Happy shopping, and don't forget to post pics so we can drooooool!

there have been some minor change in specks over the years. Current sg 61 has chrome hardware, 57-57+ classic pickups and it seems to have nice deep bevels. My 2007 sg 61 has 57 classic- nickle hardware, and not so deep bevels. Like any Gibson you can find a good or bad one any year. Here's my 2007 sg 61, and you see not so deep bevels and nickle hardware004.jpg005.jpg

there have been some minor change in specks over the years. Current sg 61 has chrome hardware, 57-57+ classic pickups and it seems to have nice deep bevels. My 2007 sg 61 has 57 classic- nickle hardware, and not so deep bevels. Like any Gibson you can find a good or bad one any year. Here's my 2007 sg 61, and you see not so deep bevels and nickle hardware004.jpg005.jpg

nasville bridge on this one, IMO only pay for an R1 if it has an ABR-1 otherwise its not really an R1 and the only main constructional difference from a standard is the pup routing and scratchplate.

also check for CTS pots and historic capacitors. Otherwise just buy the sg that you like and upgrade it to the specs you like. Everything can be done aftermarket if its a guitar bought to be played and kept. if you want to resell then find the one you want with the specs an pay the extra £$ to have it

Nice choice!!!!! '61RI's are awesome.

I would just say you need to get together the features you desire and look for one that has them all.

Mine was built in 2001. Came with Slim-taper neck, if I remember corrctly (neck is very flat, and not rounded), and tapered horn points and deep bevels.

Here's my 2001 '61RI:

DSCN0378.jpg

tapered horns:

P8200048.jpg

Here is a link to some of the specs from the 2001 catalog:

http://www.everythin....php/2001g.html

now thats an R1!

nasville bridge on this one, IMO only pay for an R1 if it has an ABR-1 otherwise its not really an R1 and the only main constructional difference from a standard is the pup routing and scratchplate

Well you do have that slim neck , bigger headstock and Different neck joint that's different from the standard. And some how the construction with body and neck is different, with same stringhight the brigde on the standard is higher than the sg 61. For me i don't get the thing about that abr-1 brigde on the 61 Gibson usa sg, as it's not a correct historic reissue anyway. That's the custom shop historic sg's thing. Is it for cosmetic reason you like the abr-1 better or does it some how sound better?

Well you do have that slim neck , bigger headstock and Different neck joint that's different from the standard. And some how the construction with body and neck is different, with same stringhight the brigde on the standard is higher than the sg 61. For me i don't get the thing about that abr-1 brigde on the 61 Gibson usa sg, as it's not a correct historic reissue anyway. That's the custom shop historic sg's thing. Is it for cosmetic reason you like the abr-1 better or does it some how sound better?

better sustain and resonance. ABR-1's posts are drilled directly into the wood with no give/movement. Nashville is thicker restricting the ability to lower the stopbar all the way down (in hard tail versions) and has a bushing inserted into the body that the posts screw into. Those with nashvilles remove your strings and wiggle your bridge. notice the give/movement sustain and resonance is lost because of this as it absorbs vibrations due to the bridge not being solid.

Also the bushings actual contact area for vibrations to be passed from bridge to wood is small and thin which added to the post vibrations loss means less resonance.

Gibson know this thats why we have Standards & Specials and then Custom Shops.

Yet, WHY would they do that? [confused]:-k Custom Shop models are supposed to be more "accurate"

to the original designs, and spec's. But, why would Gibson use "inferior" techniques,

or parts specs, on Gibson USA versions? There's no real reason, is there? I mean, it

has to take as much time, if not more, to do the bushings/with bridge pins, than to just

drill (correctly) the bridge pin holes, for the direct to wood, bridge pins. I was under

the impression, that the Nashville bridges, were more "stable," and less prone to intonation

problems, having no wire clip, and larger(?) or at least more stable saddles. And, that

the ABR-1's, on the VOS or Historic CS versions, are used because they are "correct" for

that historical period.

But, then "I" have never understood why Gibson does punier beveling, and medium to short

neck tenon's, on other than CS models, either? At least the USA '61 has much better

beveling, now! [thumbup] Thank God, and Gibson! LOL [biggrin]

CB

Yet, WHY would they do that? [confused]:-k Custom Shop models are supposed to be more "accurate"

to the original designs, and spec's. But, why would Gibson use "inferior" techniques,

or parts specs, on Gibson USA versions? There's no real reason, is there? I mean, it

has to take as much time, if not more, to do the bushings/with bridge pins, than to just

drill (correctly) the bridge pin holes, for the direct to wood, bridge pins. I was under

the impression, that the Nashville bridges, were more "stable," and less prone to intonation

problems, having no wire clip, and larger(?) or at least more stable saddles. And, that

the ABR-1's, on the VOS or Historic CS versions, are used because they are "correct" for

that historical period.

But, then "I" have never understood why Gibson does punier beveling, and medium to short

neck tenon's, on other than CS models, either? At least the USA '61 has much better

beveling, now! [thumbup] Thank God, and Gibson! LOL [biggrin]

CB

yes the nashville have a broader intonation range but thats so that the bridge installation can be mass produced IMO you need to get the correct angle when drilling the holes in order to catch the sweet spot for intonation adjustments. the Nashville was a Norlin invention AFAIK and stuck to present day I assume its to reduce costs such as CBS with the 3 screws for the bolt on neck on fenders.

discussing with my luthier teachers it was heard from Gibson that they dont possess the correct tools to manufacture high spec bridges hence why they are die cast even the ABR-1's and lack the quality machine work of some of the after market bridges such as the callaham and PigTails.

Pardon me for interrupting, do you know stuff about Lyre tailpiece - can be mounted on current '61 RI?

hey, i've not personally used one but im sure someone elso has on the forum. Its the tremolo piece right? best thing to do is start a new topic and someone with experience with them will see it

better sustain and resonance. ABR-1's posts are drilled directly into the wood with no give/movement. Nashville is thicker restricting the ability to lower the stopbar all the way down (in hard tail versions) and has a bushing inserted into the body that the posts screw into. Those with nashvilles remove your strings and wiggle your bridge. notice the give/movement sustain and resonance is lost because of this as it absorbs vibrations due to the bridge not being solid.

Also the bushings actual contact area for vibrations to be passed from bridge to wood is small and thin which added to the post vibrations loss means less resonance.

Gibson know this thats why we have Standards & Specials and then Custom Shops.

That make sense :-k . Thinking of upgrading the hardware on my 61. Two of my tuners are a just little bit loose, so i will go for TPK - KLUSON® 3+3 25/64 BOLT BUSHING TUNERS 15:1 -Aluminium stop-bar and GRAPH TECH® RESOMAX® NV2 4MM BRIDGE with autolock. So that autolock bridge might take away some of those vibrations. THIS IS NOTHIN' I HAVE TO DO, THE GUITAR IS GREAT AS IT IS. But i really like my sg 61 and i wanna treat her with some new stuff [biggrin]

That make sense :-k . Thinking of upgrading the hardware on my 61. Two of my tuners are a just little bit loose, so i will go for TPK - KLUSON® 3+3 25/64 BOLT BUSHING TUNERS 15:1 -Aluminium stop-bar and GRAPH TECH® RESOMAX® NV2 4MM BRIDGE with autolock. So that autolock bridge might take away some of those vibrations. THIS IS NOTHIN' I HAVE TO DO, THE GUITAR IS GREAT AS IT IS. But i really like my sg 61 and i wanna treat her with some new stuff [biggrin]

yeah my callaham is a locking bridge, tight is the key to a good vibration![thumbup]

What about the new SG '61 Reissue Satin (worn cherry, worn brown and satin ebony)?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-61-Reissue-Satin/Specs.aspx

Has anyone tried one of them out? I cannot find them on sale yet anywhere on-line.

Sam Ash has them in stock

They also show what looks like a new 61RI with the NA rosewood with a cheaper price than they use to be

Good score on the 2005. My 2005 '61 reissue is my favorite guitar. I was in GC yesterday looking for a Les Paul, and had a play at two different new '61 reissues for ships & giggles. Didn't quite feel as nice. Didn't end up finding a nice Les Paul, but I'm glad I decided to go and have a look, as I ended up drooling over a VOS SG in the "platimum" room. A real looker. Asked the gentleman to free it, so that I could give her the 'ol meet and greet. Long story short... I had to own the guitar. There was no way I was leaving without it (though I had to leave without it, as it was traded in the day before, and the law is that they must hold 'em 30 days). Absolutely mint, amazing, zero fret wear, and... uh, flipping amazing! Mind you, my '61 reissue is a reallllly nice example... but this VOS was as if the heavens had parted, and farted this SG into my loving arms. Anywho, back to the 2005... I think you'll love the '05! Here's my new SG that is currently serving a short sentence in guitar jail. Waiting sucks.

SGVOS.jpg

Good score on the 2005. My 2005 '61 reissue is my favorite guitar. I was in GC yesterday looking for a Les Paul, and had a play at two different new '61 reissues for ships & giggles. Didn't quite feel as nice. Didn't end up finding a nice Les Paul, but I'm glad I decided to go and have a look, as I ended up drooling over a VOS SG in the "platimum" room. A real looker. Asked the gentleman to free it, so that I could give her the 'ol meet and greet. Long story short... I had to own the guitar. There was no way I was leaving without it (though I had to leave without it, as it was traded in the day before, and the law is that they must hold 'em 30 days). Absolutely mint, amazing, zero fret wear, and... uh, flipping amazing! Mind you, my '61 reissue is a reallllly nice example... but this VOS was as if the heavens had parted, and farted this SG into my loving arms. Anywho, back to the 2005... I think you'll love the '05! Here's my new SG that is currently serving a short sentence in guitar jail. Waiting sucks.

SGVOS.jpg

This ia a really nice looking guitar. Look at the wood! Congratulations on the acquisition of you new best friend!

Cheers!

Not just the SG Club, but the '61RI SG Club. IMHO the early style SG is a totally different animal then any other later style SG's.

After years of '80's and '90's SG Standard and Deluxe ownerships, the 61RI gave me what I wasn't getting out of any other SG I had. Sold 'em all after I got the '61RI.

Only SG guitar I would ever own now, unless it was early '60's vintage, or the CS 61.

Congrats. Love, love, love those bevels!

Archived