Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Quality Control? What's Up?

Murph

Yuk, yuk.......

I think it's GREAT.

I'm so sick of seeing newbies with 1 post having to send back their guitars. Is this for real?

I bought my latest ES-339 from MF. Sight unseen. UPS. It's perfect, best guitar I've ever owned. The wire even quit rattling. (bridge). It stays in tune, the 57 Classics rule, sustain for days, perfect fit and finish. A true classic guitar Made In U.S.A. Turns heads everywhere it goes, and it gigs every weekend.

Next back was a new '03 J45 RW from the badass boys (and girls) in Bozeman. MF. UPS. Perfect, finest acoustic I've ever touched.

My 96 Fender Strat bought new had hunks of poly falling off the fretboard. It would cut your fingers it was so bad.

My '79 NORLIN "The SG" will hang with any guitar ever built for looks (walnut) tone, sustain, and chunk. Those "velvet bricks" were too much sometimes.

Sorry to vent but I don't get it. I'll buy a new Gibson sight unseen in a heartbeat. If I had a problem they would make it right, but I've never had a problem.

Best to ya.

Murph.

My 2005 Advanced Jumbo acoustic rivels my Taylor for overall quality of finish and playability. I did have the nut slots filed down by my favorite luthier/tech and it plays like the proverbial butter now, but I bought it used after it had sat in a case for 2 years. I love it and literally have had the mechanics mirror all over the inside and can find no flaws. Don't know much about the electric Gibsons, but my acoustic was built with obvious care and attention to detail. I assume as with any production company, there are great ones, good ones and a very few lemons but most of that is probably from the Guitar Center abuse from who knows how many rockers thrashing on the acoustics. I know mine was purchased new from GC before anyone else could touch it and it just sat in the case for a couple years before I got it. Now it get's played daily, has opened up nicely and continues to impress all my buddies who swore they would never like anything but a Martin or Taylor.... Go figure.

I can tell you , quality is stressed by management and fellow employees here is Nashville. Everyone here knows you are paying for more than just a name and you deserve a great product for your hard earned bucks. You folks are what keeps us employed. I've worked in manufacturing before and I can truly say the atmosphere of the workplace here is different , it's more than just doing a job.A lot of us are fellow musicians, I'd venture to say 7-8 out of 10 employees play some form of music or another. Not trying to sound like an infomercial, it really is the truth.

I can tell you ' date=' quality is stressed by management and fellow employees here is Nashville. Everyone here knows you are paying for more than just a name and you deserve a great product for your hard earned bucks. You folks are what keeps us employed. I've worked in manufacturing before and I can truly say the atmosphere of the workplace here is different , it's more than just doing a job.A lot of us are fellow musicians, I'd venture to say 7-8 out of 10 employees play some form of music or another. Not trying to sound like an infomercial, it really is the truth. [/quote']

That's good to know and the quality really shows! Hard to beat good us craftsmanship, IMO! =D> =D>

Jeff

I've never seen Q issues out of the box. Hanging on a wall, sure.

Most "issues", from what I see, come from used guitars,

and uneducated (sometimes severely) buyers and nit-pickers.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm sure it does. Just sharing my experience.

Yuk' date=' yuk.......

I think it's GREAT.

I'm so sick of seeing newbies with 1 post having to send back their guitars. Is this for real?

I bought my latest ES-339 from MF. Sight unseen. UPS. It's perfect, best guitar I've ever owned. The wire even quit rattling. (bridge). It stays in tune, the 57 Classics rule, sustain for days, perfect fit and finish. A true classic guitar Made In U.S.A. Turns heads everywhere it goes, and it gigs every weekend.

Next back was a new '03 J45 RW from the badass boys (and girls) in Bozeman. MF. UPS. Perfect, finest acoustic I've ever touched.

My 96 Fender Strat bought new had hunks of poly falling off the fretboard. It would cut your fingers it was so bad.

My '79 NORLIN "The SG" will hang with any guitar ever built for looks (walnut) tone, sustain, and chunk. Those "velvet bricks" were too much sometimes.

Sorry to vent but I don't get it. I'll buy a new Gibson sight unseen in a heartbeat. If I had a problem they would make it right, but I've never had a problem.

Best to ya.

Murph.[/quote']

I gotta agree with you hear. I own an SG Faded, which is one of the models that is really ragged on over QC. Now, maybe I just got lucky but the first one I tried out in the store (and took home) was basically perfect. No dead spots, fret buzz, neck is straight as an arrow, action is fine, frets are level, no cracks or dents, even coat of finish, and the intonation was only slightly off on 2 strings which I fixed after I brought it home. The only problem is the B and G string which pop out of tune, but I know that the nut is the cause and that it's common, and I plan to fix that with some graphite during my next string change. People expect that Gibson, which mass produces guitars and sends them all over the world HAS to ship instruments that are flawless in every which way without having to adjust anything to their liking. Just go look up the Faded on MF and read some of the lowest rated reviews if you don't know what I mean. Whatever man, no matter what needs to be adjusted I'd still pick a Gibson over a shi**y Asian copy.

Archived