Gibson Brands Forums

Cord that comes w / guitar

Shadowman

Has any one had any trouble with the cord that comes with the guitar? Im noticing now I am getting some feedback and static and if I touch the cord it gets even worse. AS another post listed it as an "economy cord". any recomendations on maybee a better cord

Thanx

Has any one had any trouble with the cord that comes with the guitar? Im noticing now I am getting some feedback and static and if I touch the cord it gets even worse. AS another post listed it as an "economy cord". any recomendations on maybee a better cord

Thanx

usually those leave something to be desired! [huh] generally if you find 1 that has a lifetime guaranty will be great! [wink]

usually those leave something to be desired! [huh] generally if you find 1 that has a lifetime guaranty will be great! [wink]

Monster cables have a lifetime warranty, but you need to save the receipt. A lot of people also like George L cables.

Thanx

Just about anything is better. I usually don't even get those out, ever.

I believe all the previously mentioned comments regarding the included cables are similar to yours.

Good or high quality audio cable isn't hard to find. The better quality instrument cables have metal plugs at the ends, not molded plastic plugs.

Generally, good quality plugs insure that your cable is repairable (by resoldering the end connections), and essentially never wears out unless severely damaged.

Good or pro quality microphone cable will work fine for guitars.. cable with a twisted pair inside a woven/braided shield is usually much better quality and more durable than a single conductor inside a foil shield.

Woven fabric outer coverings are more a matter of appearance preference, IMO.. I don't think the fabric greatly enhances the durability of a cable for most players.

Good quality cables aren't hard to recognize.. first, they won't have stiff plastic for the outer jacket, but instead, will have a very rubbery highly flexible outer jacket (likely with a name brand printed on it and an industry standard type/style number).

Most old audio cables had spring wire strain reliefs at each plug, but a decent grade of plug such as Switchcraft (or other well recognized brand names) are re-useable if the signal wire should eventually break at the entry to the plug or within the plug.

In many cable strain relief applications, heat shrink tubing is a suitable alternative.. I shrink about a 3" length at the cable ends, so it covers the cable jacket crimp at the back end of the plug, that way there is some strength reinforcement for the cable when the tubing shrinks.

FWIW.. Soldering skills are relatively essential for guitar owners/players who tend to frequently decide to make changes to their guitars. One doesn't really need to make a big investment in an expensive temperature controlled soldering iron.. just some skill and experience from practicing on junk parts and good tip maintenance habits will typically result in excellent results.

The best way to learn good basic soldering habits is to have someone who knows proper techniques, show you in person (not a shaky online video with poor audio and lighting), so you can ask questions and get knowledgeable answers/reasons why it's best/better to do some things a certain way.

When the proper skills are attained, one doesn't need to rely on expensive pre-packaged products or hire a skilled person to do such small jobs. The main benefit is that you'll have eyes-on knowledge that the connections were made correctly before you even plug in.

Bill

Thanx

Archived