Gibson Brands Forums

Merle Haggard documentary

livemusic

I am a big fan of much of country music and he is one of my favorites. Great writer, and one of the greatest voices ever. Out of all of the documentaries I've seen, this might be the best. Spend one and half hours with Merle, you'll be glad you did. Even if you are not a country fan. If you admire the people who write the songs, watch this one. Much insight into who he is. The only think I recognize as lacking was it never mentioned any of his objections to U.S. foreign policy during the past ten years.

Merle Haggard: Learning To Live With Myself -- http://video.pbs.org/video/1549070911

....and one of the greatest voices ever.

Absolutely! Used to play a few Haggard songs with the band and for me it was always Merle's phrasing that made it very special. He has a way of delvering a line that is unique and difficult to duplicate. I'll certainly watch this one on an upcoming evening......... Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for posting this link. Those American Masters pieces are absolutely brilliant.

One thing Merle said in this really stuck in my mind:

"There's a never-dying fire a guitar kindles in your soul, that makes you want to try......"

Could be a line from one of his songs. The man speaks in lyrics, without even trying.

I saw Merle a few years ago when he was the opening act on a Bob Dylan tour. He was absolutely fantastic, and had a great band behind him. Completely stole the show.

If it hadn't been for Merle on that show I would have demanded my money back, Dylan sucked!

On a side note: A friend of mine married his niece. The Haggard family has been "estranged" for years, and she has not seen him since she was a little girl.

Archived