Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: CS-336!!! (with a few pic's)

ajaxajax2000

Congrats and welcome to the 336/356 Club!

[thumbup]

+1 [thumbup] Congrats, ajaxajax2000. I was wondering if Gibson was still putting out the CS-336. I got mine 2 years ago (Vintage Sunburst, but plain-top, as opposed to the flamed maple like you have). They are a very versatile guitar and that's what I love about it. Mines a 2008. I only know because I asked Gibson Customer Service regarding the Serial Number and the fact that there's no label in the f-hole like Gibson's other arch-top electric guitars. They assured me, though, that mine was genuine and the Serial Number coincided with their records to one sent from their factory to Alto Music in Middletown, NY during November of 2008 . I bought it there, though, in March 2010. What year was yours made?...Paul

+1 [thumbup] Congrats, ajaxajax2000. I was wondering if Gibson was still putting out the CS-336. I got mine 2 years ago (Vintage Sunburst, but plain-top, as opposed to the flamed maple like you have). They are a very versatile guitar and that's what I love about it. Mines a 2008. I only know because I asked Gibson Customer Service regarding the Serial Number and the fact that there's no label in the f-hole like Gibson's other arch-top electric guitars. They assured me, though, that mine was genuine and the Serial Number coincided with their records to one sent from their factory to Alto Music in Middletown, NY during November of 2008 . I bought it there, though, in March 2010. What year was yours made?...Paul

I too checked with Gibson before I bought it. It's manufactured in April 2011, so pretty new. Theres a rumour among European dealers that the 336 production is about to stop. Don't know if that's true or not. But they are very hard to find in Europe today. In Sweden there's two, both Aqua Blue (which I didn't want), and the Swedish Gibson agent has clearly stated that they will not import the 336 again.

Glad to hear that you like yours. I'm aking to get the time to get seriousely acquainted to mine. thumbsup.gif

I too checked with Gibson before I bought it. It's manufactured in April 2011, so pretty new. There's a rumor among European dealers that the 336 production is about to stop. Don't know if that's true or not. But they are very hard to find in Europe today. In Sweden there's two, both Aqua Blue (which I didn't want), and the Swedish Gibson agent has clearly stated that they will not import the 336 again.

Glad to hear that you like yours. I'm aching to get the time to get seriously acquainted to mine. thumbsup.gif

ajaxajax2000, it's funny you mentioned that in Europe (are you from a European country? If so, which one?) the dealers are rumoring production about to stop on the CS-336. I was wondering about that because I don't seethat there's many even available in the U.S. or they're just rarely made now. Seems to be more ES-339's or 359's, with laminated wood bodies, the former with a smaller body like the CS-336 and the latter with an ES-335 size body with a Les Paul Custom like headstock with the diamond head and triple binding as opposed to the non-bound headstock sporting the crown, and carved wood bodies, like our CS-336's. Well if, they do remain rare or if production does stop, that may increase the value of the guitars we have, due to their rarity. The CS-336 is a great guitar, so I don't see it losing any value, but quite the opposite as collectors try to get hold of what's available.

Anyhow; I hope you get much enjoyment out of your new CS-336, now and years to come. Mine's a keeper for sure.B)

ajaxajax2000, it's funny you mentioned that in Europe (are you from a European country? If so, which one?) the dealers are rumoring production about to stop on the CS-336. I was wondering about that because I don't see

that there's many even available in the U.S. or they're just rarely made now. Seems to be more ES-356's or 359's, with laminated wood bodies, the former with a smaller body like the CS-336 and the latter with an ES-335 size body

with a Les Paul Custom like headstock with the diamond head and triple binding as opposed to the non-bound headstock sporting the crown, and carved wood bodies, like our CS-336's. Well if, they do remain rare or if

production does stop, that may increase the value of the guitars we have, due to their rarity. The CS-336 is a great guitar, so I don't see it losing any value, but quite the opposite as collectors try to get hold of what's available.

Anyhow; I hope you get much enjoyment out of your new CS-336, now and years to come. Mine's a keeper for sure.B)

Yeah, I was dead set on getting one, and I also new exactly what top pattern I wanted. And that's what I finally got. Yesterday.... ;)

I'm from Sweden, Europe.

Yeah, I was dead set on getting one, and I also new exactly what top pattern I wanted. And that's what I finally got. Yesterday.... ;)

I'm from Sweden, Europe.

Thanks for letting me know (or clarifying...one of your earlier notes intimated Sweden...I just wanted to be sure). Again...much happiness with your new CS-336; now and years to come.:)

Thanks for letting me know (or clarifying...one of your earlier notes intimated Sweden...I just wanted to be sure). Again...much happiness with your new CS-336; now and years to come.:)

Thx. I see from your signature that you have a lot of nice stuff. But no Les Paul.... How come, if I may ask?

(Of course, if you have a 336 I guess that'll do the work in most cases......;)

Seems to be more ES-339's or 359's, with laminated wood bodies, the former with a smaller body like the CS-336 and the latter with an ES-335 size body with a Les Paul Custom like headstock with the diamond head and triple binding as opposed to the non-bound headstock sporting the crown, and carved wood bodies, like our CS-336's.

FYI: the ES-359, ES-339, CS-356 and CS-336 are all the same size.

It's the ES-355 that is the same size as an ES-335 but with more bling (and the varitone switching).

Thx. I see from your signature that you have a lot of nice stuff. But no Les Paul.... How come, if I may ask?

(Of course, if you have a 336 I guess that'll do the work in most cases......;)

I used to have both an Gibson Les Paul Custom (1987) and ES-335 (1988) at one time, but due to financial circumstances, I had to let them go. I acquired the Gibson CS-336 and SG Standard in the past two years. I was thinking of getting a Les Paul, but the new ones are chambered or weigh relieved and since the CS-336 is semi-hollow and can sound close to a Les Paul or ES-335, I opted for the solid SG Standard you see in my Avatar. As SG stands for Solid Guitar and that's what I was looking for, as the newer Les Paul's as I previously mentioned, didn't seem like the Les Paul I once had back in the late 80's through the 90's. I bought my Alpine White Les Paul Custom (Ebony fingerboard) back in 1987 with the case for $825.00. Today you're talking $3-4K minimum. I was able to get my CS-336 (lists for more than $4K) with the case in 2010 for $2099.00, and I love that guitar. My new SG Standard has different pickups (490R & 498T; higher output)) as opposed to the '57 Classics on my CS-336. So they're totally different sounds. So I grab whichever fits the particular piece.

I used to have both an Gibson Les Paul Custom (1987) and ES-335 (1988) at one time, but due to financial circumstances, I had to let them go. I acquired the Gibson CS-336 and SG Standard in the past two years. I was thinking of getting a Les Paul, but the new ones are chambered or weigh relieved and since the CS-336 is semi-hollow and can sound close to a Les Paul or ES-335, I opted for the solid SG Standard you see in my Avatar. As SG stands for Solid Guitar and that's what I was looking for, as the newer Les Paul's as I previously mentioned, didn't seem like the Les Paul I once had back in the late 80's through the 90's. I bought my Alpine White Les Paul Custom (Ebony fingerboard) back in 1987 with the case for $825.00. Today you're talking $3-4K minimum. I was able to get my CS-336 (lists for more than $4K) with the case in 2010 for $2099.00, and I love that guitar. My new SG Standard has different pickups (490R & 498T; higher output)) as opposed to the '57 Classics on my CS-336. So they're totally different sounds. So I grab whichever fits the particular piece.

Sounds logical. Stay well & Rock On!!!

Archived