Gibson Brands Forums

NEW Ultra 339 - No issues!

DrBo42

I managed to grab a Cherry finish Ultra 339 from zzounds.com, showed up at the office today. Checked the frets and all the electronics, everything sounds great. This is my first proper Epiphone and I couldn't be happier. Only thing I need to tweak is that the neck has a slight relief in it. Since this will be my first time doing a truss rod adjustment I have a few questions.

1: The area to adjust is under the Ultra 339 label in the headstock, yes?

2: Should I detune to bring tension off the neck before adjusting? (I'm probably going to have to in order just to get those screws off the plate)

Any feedback or hints would be great! I might upload a short video or some pics when I'm home.

Congrats on the new U339, glad to hear it's all in good shape, enjoy and HNGD to you.

1/ Yes

2/ Definitely

- Only do about 1/8 a turn at a time and wait for at least an hour (the longer the better, many leave overnight) before checking, the neck needs time to settle.

- Never adjust more than 1/4 turn in any one day (24hr period).

So I'll see a change naturally without string tension? The truss rod seemed pretty loose on this thing, I don't know if my adjustment even did anything.

That's a different story, if the truss-rod is turning slackly (for want of a better word) then it's prudent to turn it from the treble side to the bass side (clockwise) until you feel it take up that slack, leave it for a while, then use that as your baseline.

That's a different story, if the truss-rod is turning slackly (for want of a better word) then it's prudent to turn it from the treble side to the bass side until you feel it take up that slack, leave it for a while, then use that as your baseline.

Cheers man. Sorry for all the questions, really appreciate the info.

if you send me the 339 I'll fix it up for you for free and only take six months to a year.

also, no charge for the new pick scratches!

((can't tell I"m jealous, can you?))

Hmm. :-k A tempting offer, surely. I think I might pass for now, but thank you.

I managed to grab a Cherry finish Ultra 339 from zzounds.com, showed up at the office today. Checked the frets and all the electronics, everything sounds great. This is my first proper Epiphone and I couldn't be happier.

Must

Have

Pics...

Must

Have

Pics...

So now that I've brought it home and plugged it into a proper setup I notice it does indeed have a flaw. What a surprise! It seems that with the switch set to the middle position you can't actually output both humbuckers at full sound. Hilarious. If you switch it to each individual pickup you get flawless full volume but middle is another story. As far as I can tell you can set 1 humbucker to full and the other around 8 or 9 for it to output any sound. I'm a guitar noob so I can't be sure but it almost seems like these pots are limiting the amount of sound that can be pumped out at once. I don't have any other explanation for what could be going on here since singling them out is no issue. Thoughts?

I do not have that issue with my Ultra 2. Each volume control works independantly from the other, and the Nanomag volume is again separate.

I am assuming this an Ultra 3.

It's a 339. After further investigation here's what's going on:

Bridge set to 10 + Neck set to 10 = Low output of what seems to be both pickups.

Bridge set to 10 + Neck set to anything BELOW 10 = Full output of Bridge only.

Neck set to 10 + Bridge set to anything BELOW 10 = Full output of Neck only.

This is bullshit, lol.

I have the same problem with mine here in the UK. Took it back to the dealer and all his stock (Ultras and Pros) are the same. He thinks they are wired out of phase.

I messaged Customer Services through their web page last week. No reply. Sent an e-mail today...

Mine also had excessive relief and I couldn't get it adjusted right. The dealer has now improved the action but with buzzing bass E on most frets. I could live with that but I'm not impressed with what seems to be a widespread wiring fault rather than a one-off.

I have the same problem with mine here in the UK. Took it back to the dealer and all his stock (Ultras and Pros) are the same. He thinks they are wired out of phase.

I messaged Customer Services through their web page last week. No reply. Sent an e-mail today...

Mine also had excessive relief and I couldn't get it adjusted right. The dealer has now improved the action but with buzzing bass E on most frets. I could live with that but I'm not impressed with what seems to be a widespread wiring fault rather than a one-off.

Sorry mate, believe me when I say I know what you're going through. I just don't understand how they can let a guitar go out like this. Does reputation and quality really mean nothing? Sheesh. Any idea what it would cost to fix the electrical situation at a shop?

It's a 339. After further investigation here's what's going on:

Bridge set to 10 + Neck set to 10 = Low output of what seems to be both pickups.

Bridge set to 10 + Neck set to anything BELOW 10 = Full output of Bridge only.

Neck set to 10 + Bridge set to anything BELOW 10 = Full output of Neck only.

This is bullshit, lol.

Just checked my Pelham Blue Ultra 339. It does not have this problem.

Didn't I ask the question about 339 quality a couple of weeks ago because I thought they were "rushing" them into production. :-k

There's been quite a lot of probs lately, mainly with the ES and Ultra series guitars, I'm reasonably sure that it's been noted by now, seeing as there's been so much discussion on the issue(s).

that's as maybe, but they're not doing their reputation any good. While I applaud the introduction of the nanomag and coil splitting over the standard 339, they should have kept it simple.

I still want one of these bad boys, but I am having second thoughts. It's not like I can go out and buy a new guitar any time I want, so I want it to be one that works.

that's as maybe, but they're not doing their reputation any good. While I applaud the introduction of the nanomag and coil splitting over the standard 339, they should have kept it simple.

I still want one of these bad boys, but I am having second thoughts. It's not like I can go out and buy a new guitar any time I want, so I want it to be one that works.

It's sad because it really is a great guitar. Hopefully it'll be an easy fix when I hand it over to a shop next month, wanted to replace the pots anyway.

Archived