Gibson Brands Forums

Who inspires you lately?

mikekefr

This dude has been my latest inspiration http://www.joelhoekstra.com/index.html 3 vids on his site worth watchin imo are<have to go to the video page> his "oh come all ye/oh holy night" with tso live "2nd vid page 5" and this instrumental he does acoustic w/ brad gillis "3rd vid page 3"and his instructional vid on hybrid pickin "bottom vid on page one" .You can tell this dude lives and breathes guitar [thumbup]

Ever since I've been stricken with a neuro-muscular disease in my hands and arms Les Paul has been a real inspiration for me.Dispite constant pain and muscle fatigue Les persevered and kept on playing and keeping his regular Friday gig at the Iridium Club in NYC.Shortly after his death I wrote a tribute to Les and it was chosen as letter of the Month in the next issue of Guitar Player.Another great guitarist who should be an inspiration to every guitar player on the face of the earth is Jason Becker. Becker was hailed as being a serious threat to Satriani,Malmsteen and Vai.Unfortunately Jason was stricken with ALS-more commonly known as Lou Gehrigs Disease.He continues to write music even though he has lost all motor functions and his speech.He communicates and writes his music by using a specialized sensor that follows his eye movements with a cursor as he points by focusing his eyes on the letters and notes he wants printed.Even though he has been rendered totally paralized by this disease he organizes a huge fund raising concert for ALS research every year and guitarists who were once his competition gladly volunteer their time and talent,with Steve Vai being the most enthusiastic.

jason is one dedicated dude. he was great back in the day and was an insparation to me back then. i seem to be back to one of my original insparations Rory Gallagher. that guy was an incerdible guitarist and a true showman. i don't think "WAS" is the proper word for him maybe "IS". i don't think anyone touches him to this day. there's not one bad album in his collection of work. i'm not just saying this because i'm irish, but erin go bragh anyway.

Guest farnsbarns

This guy, I found the video while GASing for the R8 I now have and searching YT for examples. As a result of this vid I leaned to play the song...

@ 2lambchops:what I said was Jason was hailed as a threat to Malmsteen et. al,meaning that when he became known he was seen as a serious threat to overshadow these guys and so he did.Unfortunately when he was stricken with ALS he was no longer the threat he was albeit his recorded material still showed them up .God Bless him for his resolve and steadfastness he still has the same brilliant mind for composition and thanks to guys like Via and company his music can still be heard by the masses although not played by him and most likely not as well as he would have.

This guy, I found the video while GASing for the R8 I now have and searching YT for examples. As a result of this vid I leaned to play the song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs-dL4GbF28

Excellent cover of a great song. His technique is really impressive.

My biggest influence atm the moment is J.B. Im trying to, like him incorporate fast shred licks into blues rock music.

Archived