Gibson Brands Forums

1976 Dove saddle question

iwalktheline

hey guys, quick question. I have mentioned this before and posted a picture also. My 76 dove has a really low saddle, and I had asked on here before about replacing it. It was mentioned to me that I might need to get a neck reset, my "new" question is...what would happen if I just got the new saddle without having the neck set done? Could it do major or any damage at all? I would love to get the neck rest done but money is tight and I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars to the wife for this [thumbdn] any help would be great. Thanks again guys

Hi.. a Neck Net on a 70s Acoustic Gibson would be pricey... putting a new saddle in would not make a difference... reason.. the neck is pulled forward.. . intonation is going to be another issue.. you do risk pulling up the bridge at full tension. or cracking the bridge at the pins... the top will pull forward as to pulling up in a suspended state.. it would eventually cause more damage to the bridge plate.. and to the Top..

You will gain more Volume with a Proper neck set..

Keep in mind that era is double x braced..

I would suggest getting a Luthier to view the Guitar and get a Quote..

I guess the question here would be.. where are you located? .. maybe someone could point you in a Good direction for a Good Luthier... beings the task is a tough one on a 70s ..

Unless a guitar tech already checked the instrument and told you it is in need of a neck reset, the instrument may just need to be set-up professionally (i.e.)truss rod adjustment, action set, fret dress, etc). It may be fine just having a new bridge installed or the original bridge shimmed to raise it a bit. You might also want to have a tech check the nut. Over time, the nut may have worn down causing the strings to be closer to the neck. Have a good guitar tech evaluate the instrument to see what needs to be done.

Unfortunately, if the guitar needs a neck reset, then replacing the saddle won't do anything to help with the action. In fact, if you replace it with a higher saddle, it will make it worse. It's worth it to have a luthier take a look at the guitar if you haven't done so already.

And you may find that the cost of a neck reset is about the same as the worth of a 70s Gibson. Try a professional set up.

are you serious? it could cost that much? I had a set up done last year on it but never asked the guy about the saddle. hmm..i guess i will take it to him this weekend just to hear what he says about it.

are you serious? it could cost that much? I had a set up done last year on it but never asked the guy about the saddle. hmm..i guess i will take it to him this weekend just to hear what he says about it.

Neck re-set should cost $400-$600. I've had two done on Gibsons in the last year, and both were similar in price.

I may have said this in the other thread, but just in case I didn't ...

Don't assume that a low saddle means that you need a neck reset. First check that there is not excessive bellying of the top: place a straightedge just below the bridge and measure the clearance on both sides at the edge. Excessive bellying can be due to either extended exposure to high humidity or structural damage (or, in theory, strings that are too heavy -- but no currently available string set is too heavy for a '70's double-X-with-a-massive-bridge-plate Gibson). Good luck!

-- Bob R

Archived