Gibson Brands Forums

es 345 bigsby to stopbar

NiceGuyEddie

The previous owner of my es 345 replaced the stopbar tailpiece with a bigsby. However he left the studs and bushings in the guitar which is unsightly to me. I would like to remove the bigsby and go back to the old tailpice setup. I might send it back to gibson to do the job. They will have to cover the screw holes and match the paint. is this a big job? Does anybody think this will look good?

Gibson could handle the job, but the Gibson repair/restoration shop is pricey. The plugs will show whether they're wood or some other material.

As you probably know - you should've made this decision before the buy and simply passed on it.

Another option is to look at Vibramate and see if one will fit your guitar. It might cover the holes from studs and the Bigsby install. I'm saying install the proper Vibramate for your guitar with the proper Bigsby model (maybe selling your current one if it doesn't fit the required Vibrate).

Guest EastEnder

BigKahune: It seems that NiceGuyEddie wants to revert to stop bar tailpiece, eliminating Bigsby elements altogether (which IMHO exhibits taste on NGE's part). I would't recommend a Gibson job, either; takes too long and, as you pointed out, can be costly. Any luthier worth his salt can get very close to an invisible repair — although not perfect. Then there are the Bigsby mounting holes around the strap button, too — not to mention the impressions that the Bigsby can possibly leave in the top finish.

I've seen Bigsby removals on vintage Gibsons from the Gruhn shop that were hard to detect even knowing the Bigsby had been on there, so a near invisible repair is possible. If it's not a valuable vintage model and you can live with some traces that the repair has been done then filling with dowels and touching in the appropriate lacquer should be well within the remit of an experienced repairer and will look pretty discreet.

If you can live with the Bigsby, then there are a few options that can make things look a lot tidier than with the exposed posts. I have a 70s ES-355 with stopbar mountings and a Bigsby. I bought some small metal disks a bit like button tops from a craft shop that matched the post size and finish and look a lot more elegant than the naked post mountings. The original "Custom Built" plaques used to cover mounting holes in early 335s and 345s with factory Bigsbys surely deserve a place in the "what were they thinking" catagory of Gibson folklore, but they at least look period correct and can occasionally be found on Ebay.

BigKahune: It seems that NiceGuyEddie wants to revert to stop bar tailpiece, eliminating Bigsby elements altogether....

Yes, I read that - the Vibramate suggestion was given as an option to consider - something to think about in the case of repair/restoration cost going over budgeted funds. . B)

Jayyj - one of the members - EVOL! that likes the Bigsby and he's done at least one of his SGs as you have suggested - can be seen in his avatar -

av-8991.jpg

Yes, I read that - the Vibramate suggestion was given as an option to consider - something to think about in the case of repair/restoration cost going over budgeted funds. . B)

Jayyj - one of the members - EVOL! that likes the Bigsby and he's done at least one of his SGs as you have suggested - can be seen in his avatar -

av-8991.jpg

Thankyou all for your comments

Since it's been drilled, already, I'd just leave it! You can get plugs for the

old Stop-bar holes, or have a plaque made (at a trophy shop), to fit over the holes,

that says: "Custom Made" (or whatever else you choose)...which are fairly common.

But...it's you guitar, do whatever your heart tells you. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread.

The original question was Bigsby OFF - Stopbar ON.

1. Purchase stopbar and mounting studs.

2. Remove Bigsby by unscrewing 3-6 screws, depending on the model.

3. Install studs, stopbar and strings.

4. Play and enjoy guitar.

Until the Bigsby is removed there is no way to assess the damage, or repairs (if) needed to the guitar. Depending on the model of Bigsby, there may only be three small screw holes on the face of the guitar (more on the rim if it is a wrap-around). If there is not any MAJOR finish damage, I would consider accepting a few screw holes rather than an expensive plug and finish. There is virtually no reasonable way to plug/fill/finish these screw holes that would not be somewhat noticeable. So what would be more noticeable, an off color/mismatched grain plug fill, or a few small "raw" screw holes?

I've owned ES guitars with a trapeze and a stopbar (although no Bigsby), and far prefer the sound, sustain and playability of the stoptail version. The conversion back to the stoptail is one I think you will be happy with, regardless of a few screw holes.

Seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread.

The original question was Bigsby OFF - Stopbar ON.

1. Purchase stopbar and mounting studs...

Apparently you're confused too. His studs are IN the guitar already. :)

I agree, though, see how it looks with the Bigsby screw holes left as-is first, and go from there. I've seen quite a few with filled holes, and most of them are still noticeable to some degree.

Well, the OP's original comment was that he found the studs and bushings of the stop bar unsightly so, given that he also has concerns as the appearance of the guitar with the Bigsby off, surely it's reasonable to also make suggestions to improve the appearance with the Bigsby still in place?

Personally, if it's an old guitar with plenty of playwear, a couple of small screw holes in the top wouldn't bother me; if it's an otherwise pristine instrument, maybe more of an issue. But there's nothing to stop you trying it with a stop bar and the holes left untreated and see how much it bothers you.

The same goes for sound and playability - you may find you much prefer the stop bar, and would strongly recommend stringing it up with the stop bar and see what you think. Personally, I find Bigsbys not far off stop bars for playability and I like the tone. I've added Bigsbys to guitars with trapeze tailpieces and found it to be a marked improvement. But it's all a question of personal preference!

The previous owner of my es 345 replaced the stopbar tailpiece with a bigsby. However he left the studs and bushings in the guitar which is unsightly to me. I would like to remove the bigsby and go back to the old tailpice setup. I might send it back to gibson to do the job. They will have to cover the screw holes and match the paint. is this a big job? Does anybody think this will look good?

It's not particularly complicated, but hard to pull off so that it's minimally detectible. I have a '66 335 that a previous owner had done the same, installed a stop tail in place of a formerly installed Bigsby. All the The holes are still there but given the age and well played condition of the guitar they don't look all that objectionable. A repair may look even worse if the plugs can be easily seen.

It's not particularly complicated, but hard to pull off so that it's minimally detectible. I have a '66 335 that a previous owner had done the same, installed a stop tail in place of a formerly installed Bigsby. All the The holes are still there but given the age and well played condition of the guitar they don't look all that objectionable. A repair may look even worse if the plugs can be easily seen.

Thankyou

av-8991.jpg

very good suggestion,thankyou!

• 1 month later...

If you go to towners website , I sent a photo. It is the gibson es 345 in front of a vox amp. I think it looks great. better than the remaining frankenstein bolts! I notice some ringing has disappeared as well...just an added benefit.

Archived