Gibson Brands Forums

Change gold Hardware on Korean Sheraton?

logan2z

I've got my eye on a Sheraton produced in the Saien plant in 2006. I'm not a fan of the gold hardware and was wondering if replacement parts are readily available for changing the hardware to chrome. The guitar has also been upgraded with gold Gibson '57 Classic humbuckers. Are the pup covers easily changed to chrome or is that difficult/impossible?

Logan,

Welcome to the Forum!

As to shopping for new parts, it would help if we knew where you are located.

If you are in the U.S. then chrome or nickel tuners, bridges and tailpieces can be bought from Stewmac among many other dealers.

http://www.stewmac.com/

First, Epi parts are metric. (millimeters)

The main thing would be to do careful measurements on the tuner holes...(probably 10mm).

You would also need careful measurements of the center to center and diameter of the of the bridge and tailpiece studs.

You would also want correct string spacing.

Fortunately, Stewmac sells Gotoh parts which are often direct replacements on Epiphones.

They also have a "spec" tab on their parts which show detailed measurements.

As to the pickup covers...Gibson covers (neck and bridge are often different size pole spacing) can be bought from most places like Sweetwater, GC or MF.

Again, I would take very careful measurements (imperial / inches) of the size and pole spacings.

I would then call their customer service and verify.....Sweetwater reps can be very helpful.

For cover replacement....I've never done it. But....

I did find this:

Hope others can be of more help,

Willy

Hi and welcome to the forum. There are similarities between the appearance of actual chrome plating and nickel plating, and some parts sellers simply state "chrome" when the parts may be nickel.. so if replacement parts come from different suppliers (or other reasons), they may not match.

Epiphone has been using nickel plating for over a decade, IIRC.

Someone recommended rubbing Brasso metal polish on guitar gold parts recently for removing the gold colored layer, revealing the nice, underlying shiny chrome (or possibly nickel plating). Brasso isn't difficult to use, but any residue may dry to a white powdery chalk-like residue.. easily removed with a small brush or old toothbrush.

I say gold colored layer because it's not actual gold.. but a process referred to as "gold tone" applied over a chrome or nickel plating, and the gold tone is extremely thin, unlike the chrome/nickel applied to the part.

I was searching for: removing "gold tone" recently, and found several non-hazardous recommended removal methods.. it doesn't require nasty chemical strippers or an electrolytic stripping setup.

Remove Gold Tone Google

One recommended method:

Mix a tablespoon of turmeric with a tablespoon of washing powder, make a thick paste with water and let the ring sit in it for some time, then rub it and the plating will come off.. they use turmeric and washing powder to clean gold jewelry but it takes away a thin layer of gold as well, so if you use it on gold plated jewelry, you'll be able to remove the plating altogether.

Note: Turmeric is a food spice/seasoning, and washing SODA may be what is meant by "washing powder".

Bill

I've got my eye on a Sheraton produced in the Saien plant in 2006. I'm not a fan of the gold hardware and was wondering if replacement parts are readily available for changing the hardware to chrome. The guitar has also been upgraded with gold Gibson '57 Classic humbuckers. Are the pup covers easily changed to chrome or is that difficult/impossible?

• 3 weeks later...

Also, would you have to take off all the hardware to do this? Would it harm the guitar?

Whenever using any abrasive or solvent on guitar hardware no matter how mild, it is always best to remove it from the guitar. In the case of pickup covers, it may be advisable to remove them from the pickups to do a thorough job. I see that StewMac now sells a super fine saw to cut solder joints for pickup cover removal:

http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0160.html

Whenever using any abrasive or solvent on guitar hardware no matter how mild, it is always best to remove it from the guitar. In the case of pickup covers, it may be advisable to remove them from the pickups to do a thorough job. I see that StewMac now sells a super fine saw to cut solder joints for pickup cover removal:

http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0160.html

Hmm I'm not handy. You think it would be detrimental for me to try with masking off areas of the guitar? Im most worried about doing the pickup covers and the jack (might fall into the guitar).

After you decide whether you're going with chrome or nickel, I think I would replace the Grovers first. Then, go to your local mom & pop Epiphone dealer and order the screws you need. Everything on the Sheraton are pretty standard screw sizes used in other models. You'll need the truss cover screws, humbucker ring screws and a switch. The switch changeout is easy, since it's right next to the f-hole. Then, I'd look on eBay - there are always a few sets of Epiphone bridges and stop-tails up for sale. I've purchased Epiphone nickel humbucker covers on eBay, from a supplier in China and they're new, top-shelf parts. I think I'd let my local luthier changeover the pickup covers. I've done a couple, but it's tricky to remove the old and install the new without overheating the wax. I think I'd rather have someone who has the best tools and technique for that job tackle that one. It'll take you a few weeks start to finish. after getting the parts, but it's worth doing, since a Sheraton is a guitar you'll want to keep a long time. Of course, the other option on the pickups, is to replace the stock units. It is something I've considered doing with my Sheraton, also. The chrome or nickel parts will maintain their finish a long time, whereas the gold stuff won't. Kind of a shame, Epi doesn't offer that guitar without the gold tone stuff on it. It's not my preference, either.

I used to tend to not like the Gold Hardware on most guitars with the exception of a few models that seemingly require it. However as time goes by, those outfitted with factory gold hardware I tend to leave be as I more appreciation for the look anymore.

Archived