Gibson Brands Forums

Here's a pretty pic

ksdaddy

It's a '71 Sandwich. Volute, big headstock, all the bad stuff..... that's why a dozen OTHER LPs are gone and this one is still here...(cough cough) it sucks so bad I'd better hide it and not subject any other players to it's horribleness (wink wink).

The stock pickups didn't do anything for me so I replaced them with Dimarzio DLX's. It is very much "in your face" and won't let me hide my picking mistakes.

To the best of my knowledge the pickguard is original.

Good to know...I asked that because not long ago another member asked where he could get a pickguard routed for p90 sized pickups (I think it was intended for a BFG), and I was curious about such a pickguard being sold.

I believe they were mainly targeted as a replacement for the P90. Remember, that was the 70s and Humbucker was King when it came to modifications. I'm pretty sure the DLX came out in the 70s anyway. This gave an option for a perceived upgrade on a ton of SG Specials, etc. It was especially nice that they could be fit without routing. Of course it also perfectly replaced the mini humbuckers too (thank God). Not knocking mini humbuckers, I just like Les Pauls with lots of nads. Having a Les Paul with weak pickups is like having a street rod with quiet exhaust.

• 4 months later...

Archived