Gibson Brands Forums

AJ is checking GC

brannon67

I went into my local GC and saw a Gibson AJ hanging on the wall. I had some time to kill, soo I asked the guy to get it down for me to play. I played on it a while(really liked it) and was looking at it and noticed that this NEW AJ model was already starting to check on the lower shoulder area. You have got to be kidding me. I told (one of the managers, they have 1000 of them in one store) that this NEW AJ was checking, and that was crazy.I was acting like I may buy it, and asked what he could do price wise, because it was flawed already. Something that is suppose too take a guitar years to do, its already doing it. He said he would give me a great deal. I listened, he said that he could knock off...get this, a WHOPPING $50 off the AJ. WOW! How I could I have resisted that. $50 of a $2500 guitar. Hmmmm. I passed.

Manager (GC) didn't wait long enough before they opened up the box when it came by UPS [flapper]

Harmonics101

Timely reminder. I have a "new" guitar winging its way to me right now via Fedex, and the seller reminded me to leave it unopened for 24 hours to acclimate.

What kind of agony will I be going through waiting for those 24 hours to pass?

And no, I'm not going to say what it is until I have it in my hot little hands, so don't even ask. I will say, however, that it is a Gibson.

You know, I would not mind checking on a guitar I had for years, and I played it out and about, and it had road wear on it, etc. I get that. Its battle scars, its time worn, etc. I get that, I understand that, I even like that. Soemtimes it adds to the mojo and character to the guitar, especially if it has been played for years, stories to tell. I love it, but for a NEW guitar doing that, NO. They may as well call it a road worn J45, like Fender does. Oh, then they could charge more I guess, unless it was made in China.

Brannon67,

To be serious and maybe answer your question or try to understand where you are going with your post.

$50 off does seem like drivel on a $2500 guitar, but I remember when I picked up an SJ that was listed at $1899 and had a scratch on the head (i.e. top side of the tuning pegs)

I asked if he could take off $100 (as well as not pay sales tax) and they took the deal.

Bargaining on a guitar is like the weather, each day might bring something different.

Maybe GC wasn't a motivated seller that day and you may have come across as an unmotivated buyer ?

Who knows,

I'll agree that $50 off a $2500 item is chump change, but then i guess it all depends what your budget is like etc etc.

I sure wouldn't be a taker for $50 off, but then again, i TRY to make it a rule not to buy things from GC.

I'd be interested and curious what other folks think about this.

Harmonics101

No, I love Gibsons, and I think for the most part Gibsons are quality guitars, Hell, thats what I have, and thats what I play, at home and out. But when I pay good money for a NEW guitar, I want it new, unscratched, unblemished, etc. Now If Im buying a used guitar, its my decision to either buy it or pass, looking at the condition as it is USED. Thats all Im saying and mean.

No, I love Gibsons, and I think for the most part Gibsons are quality guitars, Hell, thats what I have, and thats what I play, at home and out. But when I pay good money for a NEW guitar, I want it new, unscratched, unblemished, etc. Now If Im buying a used guitar, its my decision to either buy it or pass, looking at the condition as it it USED. Thats all Im saying and mean.

Brannon67

Please keep in mind.. With out knowing the serial number on the guitar that guitar could easily have been new to that store but has been in the Guitar Center system for sometime who kows how long. How that guitar is maintained durring that time will show. I would guess that the guitar is for sale as new but may have been sent in from another store or warehouse. It would be nice to know how old the guitar actuially is.

All the best

Jeremy

Then don't buy Gibson guitars with blemishes and quit yer belly achin'

Complaining about worksmanship of a guitar that is sitting on a wall that ain't yours and you have no personal interest in sort of smells like belly achin' and whining.

If you bought the thing and it started finish checking on you early, well then it would be a different story and I might feel some of your pain.

But all you're doing is ANNOYING ME ... stop that LOL [cursing]

Harmonics101

Brannon67

Please keep in mind.. With out knowing the serial number on the guitar that guitar could easily have been new to that store but has been in the Guitar Center system for sometime who kows how long. How that guitar is maintained durring that time will show. I would guess that the guitar is for sale as new but may have been sent in from another store or warehouse. It would be nice to know how old the guitar actuially is.

All the best

Jeremy

Sure, I wasnt trying to bash Gibson or GC, I was just making a statement. I just thought it was interesting.

Then don't buy Gibson guitars with blemishes and quit yer belly achin'

Complaining about worksmanship of a guitar that is sitting on a wall that ain't yours and you have no personal interest in sort of smells like belly achin' and whining.

If you bought the thing and it started finish checking on you early, well then it would be a different story and I might feel some of your pain.

But all you're doing is ANNOYING ME ... stop that LOL [cursing]

Harmonics101

Im sorry Harmonics, please forgive my whining and belly aching. I will stop now. I will shut up and play.

With all this talk of newer guitar finishes checking I have to think that unless every flippin' one of these guitars was exposed to some nasty extremes in temperature, something is screwy in Bozeman. I may be wrong but I believe the company that was supplying Gibson with lacquer closed their doors in 2008. Maybe the stuff they are now using is too soft or something. Hopefully they remember to shake the can before applying (before ya'll pounce on me, just kidding).

With all this talk of newer guitar finishes checking I have to think that unless every flippin' one of these guitars was exposed to some nasty extremes in temperature, something is screwy in Bozeman. I may be wrong but I believe the company that was supplying Gibson with lacquer closed their doors in 2008. Maybe the stuff they are now using is too soft or something. Hopefully they remember to shake the can before applying (before ya'll pounce on me, just kidding).

Amen brother, You get me, Thank you.

Yes, mayby the Aj was going from store to store, mayby it was exposed to the extreme weather conditions, who knows. All I know it is a great looking and sounding Gibson AJ guitar. Just wondering and asking about the early checking on a new guitar, or a guitar that GC was selling as new. Thats all.

Brannon67, people just love to yank that Gibson QC chain of mine cuz they know I'll bite hook line and sinker.

Don't take it personally, its not your problem its mine.

I just don't get the interest in someone else's bad paint job or blown engine.

I'm really glad you care about someone else's problem.

Shows you must be an unselfish sort of a guy.

I take it back, keep on caring about someone else's problems Brannon.

Your a better guy for it [thumbup]

Harmonics101

Oh c'mon, give us a clue ... Id like to have a shot at guessing ! :-)

Im pretty sure its not a J-45 though, right ?

Timely reminder. I have a "new" guitar winging its way to me right now via Fedex, and the seller reminded me to leave it unopened for 24 hours to acclimate.

What kind of agony will I be going through waiting for those 24 hours to pass?

And no, I'm not going to say what it is until I have it in my hot little hands, so don't even ask. I will say, however, that it is a Gibson.

Yep, its all good and you got the right idea in one of your previous posts.

I should just shut up and play my guitar.

And that's just what I'll do, as far as this thread is concerned [smile]

That IS the bottom line is play and enjoy, whatever you have available to you.

Cheers and happy pickin'

Harmonics101

I've seen guitars check before...that's nothing new but this comment surprised me...

You have got to be kidding me. I told (one of the managers, they have 1000 of them in one store) that this NEW AJ was checking,

They have 1000 AJs in the store? That seems surprising! That's a lot of AJs.

I've seen guitars check before...that's nothing new but this comment surprised me...

They have 1000 AJs in the store? That seems surprising! That's a lot of AJs.

No, Im sorry, I meant they have 1000 managers in the store, not really, but they have more then a few.

Archived