Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Neck Joins

Rambler

I was talking with a dealer who advised avoiding 90s Gibsons because the neck joins in the 90s done with epoxy or some such, making a neck re-set problematic. Urban myth? I'm taking this with a grain of salt (in part because the dealer did not have a high view of Gibsons), but thought I'd through it out there for discussion.

I have no evidence one way or another, but it's completely counterintuitive that they would do this, as it would render the guitars dramatically more difficult to repair. Since the neck joint is in compression, there is no particular advantage to using a high-strength adhesive in this joint, and it would make it virtually impossible to do a neck re-set.

Then again, I never thought Gibson would use a laminated fretboard......

All GIbson guitars from Bozeman are neck set with hide glue. Every one of them. The dealer that told you this has no clue. The early 90's guitars had a Paddle Cut Dovetail and that does make a neck reset difficult. Any good luthier will have no trouble doing it and quite frankly the paddle cut will probably never need a neck reset as it was designed to keep the top from sinking in the top bout area.

I have no evidence one way or another, but it's completely counterintuitive that they would do this, as it would render the guitars dramatically more difficult to repair. Since the neck joint is in compression, there is no particular advantage to using a high-strength adhesive in this joint, and it would make it virtually impossible to do a neck re-set.

Then again, I never thought Gibson would use a laminated fretboard......

I'm not sure what you are referring to but Montana has never used a laminated fretboard. Production started in '89 are you looking at an earlier guitar? I would love to see a photo.

I'm not sure what you are referring to but Montana has never used a laminated fretboard. Production started in '89 are you looking at an earlier guitar? I would love to see a photo.

Hogeye, they are using laminated fretboards now on at least some models. Check out the threads right here in the last 48 hours.

Do you have photos or drawings of the paddle cut dovetail? I've heard of it, but don't know exactly what it is.

Hogeye, they are using laminated fretboards now on at least some models. Check out the threads right here in the last 48 hours.

Do you have photos or drawings of the paddle cut dovetail? I've heard of it, but don't know exactly what it is.

I'll get home in a couple of days and try to post some pix of the paddle cut. I'll go out to the plant and see if I can get some insight into the laminated bridges and fretboards.

Sounds like (possibly mind you) he has his decades mixed up.

It sounds like something that, if it happened at all, would more probably have happened during the Norlin Years. Late 60's to late 80's. Norlin did make Gibsons more warranty proof by beefing up the bracing, and predictably muted a fine guitar. I've never heard they did something more drastic like permanently epoxying the guitar together.

I can just imagine what Gibsons Using ,,, and trying to save a buck doing it,, I am Not so sure of the new Guitars by Gibson anymore, But I couldnt be swayed to buy a new one at this point.

It seems the people are deciding the Lacey act guitars are not for them.... I had a quick look through the electric sections and other Gibson fan forums, looks like a resounding 'no' to lacey act concessions on construction.

For this reason I wouldn't buy one, imagine the hit you would take on the 2nd hand market a little further down the line, for now it's opinion, by the time it's been reiterated a million times over the next few years it'll be a 'truth'.

Grim times.

Archived