Gibson Brands Forums

Darn buzzing...

jcd

Hello.. I have read around on this forum for some time and know that you cats know your stuff. I have a Songwriter Deluxe (Love it!). I usually string it with mediums but decided to change things up a bit and put on a set of lights.. problem.. The low E string is now practically sitting on the first fret. Henceforth the buzzing. I'm guessing it is just because the string gauge is small. I'm obviously gonna put mediums on next time but I just wanted to see what the word was and if anybody else has had any trouble.. One would think that it would'nt hurt anything to put lights on.. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Well, I'm no expert, but it sounds like maybe the slot in the nut is a bit too deep on the low E notch. It didn't affect the mediums, but a lighter guage will sink deeper into the groove. I just remember having the same symptom with a guitar years ago and that's what it was. I made a shim for the nut and it worked. Used a tiny bit of tin foil. Loosen the string and put a little piece in there and retune. Might work, for lack of a better solution or replacing the nut.

My gut reaction is that the truss rod was adjusted for mediums, then when you put lights on the truss rod was a little too tight, making less relief in the neck or maybe even a back bow.... You can either put mediums back on NOW or back the truss rod off 1/8 turn.

Thanks folks! I'll give the foil a try. My music shop has a deal on strings now so I might just go hit up the mediums as well. I'm not real comfortable with the whole truss rod tweaking thing. Not my specialty!

The lights I have on are 12. I'm just gonna take them off. of the strings that DON'T buzz I can tell that I still dig the mediums more than the lights. Oh well, I suppose that's what one gets for trying something new...

Yeah but that's how we learn. And the rules go out the window. Some of my guitars have lights, some medium. Depends on how they respond and I don't pay attention to scale length. The Dove is a long scale and has mediums but they don't go so good on the J200.

Never be afraid to try new stuff.

For what it's worth I just brought home my brand new SJ-200 Last night. I noticed the pin on the E string was raised up noticeably above the rest so thinking it was overlooked at the factory and needed to be pushed in, I did just that. Now I have the same BUZZ mentioned here. Talk about stressing over the E String Buzz? I did just that all night. I am not sure if it buzzed before but it definitly does now.

It has the strings they put on at the factory, which by the way I would appreciate knowing what they are if anyone can shed some light on that for me. I would also appreciate hearing more String, Neck, Bridge, and other hints and helpful tweaks regarding the SJ-200's if anyone can share?

Buzz issue or Just the way the E String is on the SJ-200 ? Harder than normal, ( like on my Dreadnaught ) finger pressure seems to quiet the buzz. Can it be the SJ needs that ( more finger pressure) and I just need to get used to more pressure? I am not sure what do you all think?

She sure is pretty and I dig the way she sounds. Man, what a guitar!

Archived