Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Probucker Pickups

newlife15

Well Happy Friday all!!!!!

I don't know if this has been discussed but I have a ES339 Pro which is really nice.

Now, I happen to be one who likes the sound of the Probucker pickups.

What is the general consensus about these? I feel they have acoustic qualities abundantly

but don't sound anywhere near the Gibson Burstbuckers Epiphone was trying to emulate.

Any thoughts from those who have tried them? [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin][confused][confused][confused]

Newlife

Newlife15: Stated " I feel they have acoustic qualities abundantly but don't sound anywhere near the Gibson Burstbuckers Epiphone was trying to emulate."

Funny - Since Gibson USA makes them for Epiphone. I would have to say that the old axiom is true in that pickups sound different in different guitars.

Newlife15: Stated " I feel they have acoustic qualities abundantly but don't sound anywhere near the Gibson Burstbuckers Epiphone was trying to emulate."

Funny - Since Gibson USA makes them for Epiphone. I would have to say that the old axiom is true in that pickups sound different in different guitars.

Are you saying that Gibson USA makes them here in the USA for Epiphone then ships them to China to have them installed? I thought that these were Asian made pickups in the Epiphone factory.

I have them in my LP Ultra III, And I love them. They have been responsive to just about any sound setting I have put them through. I get some good growls and sustained screams in the overdrive settings, clear and bright in the cleans.

I have an ES-339 Pro which did not come with PBs like the Ultra does. I'm changing them to GFS Pro Series Alnico IIs. On the ES-339 Ultra I tested at GC, the PBs sounded very bright.

I feel they have acoustic qualities abundantly

but don't sound anywhere near the Gibson Burstbuckers Epiphone was trying to emulate.

Haven't tried Probuckers yet, but I have a Gibson BB (not BBP), one of the older unpotted ones, and it's definitely the best recent-manufacture PU from Gibson. Not suprised Epi PB's don't sound like it.

I have them in my LP Ultra III, And I love them. They have been responsive to just about any sound setting I have put them through. I get some good growls and sustained screams in the overdrive settings, clear and bright in the cleans.

I have an ES-339 Pro which did not come with PBs like the Ultra does. I'm changing them to GFS Pro Series Alnico IIs. On the ES-339 Ultra I tested at GC, the PBs sounded very bright.

Fretter, how is your Ultra III? I've seen so many issues with the fret buzz on them that I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on one, even though it's exactly what I'm looking for. The ones in Guitar Center all have very high action, so it's been hard to gauge how true the issue is on the ones in stock. I'm not one to spend $650, drive 70 miles home, set it up and then drive back if it doeesn't set up right, so I'm hoping the later batches are better. Any input? Thanks.

Fretter, how is your Ultra III? I've seen so many issues with the fret buzz on them that I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on one, even though it's exactly what I'm looking for. The ones in Guitar Center all have very high action, so it's been hard to gauge how true the issue is on the ones in stock. I'm not one to spend $650, drive 70 miles home, set it up and then drive back if it doeesn't set up right, so I'm hoping the later batches are better. Any input? Thanks.

I like my U3 just fine, it's my main player. My action is about a hair on the highside, but very playable. As noted in another post, my buzzing issues went away with string change to Brightwires 10-46.

I like the Probuckers that come with it, not sure how they compare to Burstbuckers though. I think that they are a very versatile pickup. Just wish that I had coil splitting on this guitar. I'm not even sure if that can be done.

I have and Epi with Probuckers and a Gibson with Burstbuckers. It's hard to compare because they are not the same guitar. I will say I like the Probuckers, I think they're the best Epi has to offer and they sound good enough that I wouldn't change them out for something else.

Fretter, I've used the GFS Pro Series Alnico II's in one of my LP's and was very impressed with the results. I think you will like them. [thumbup]

I have and Epi with Probuckers and a Gibson with Burstbuckers. It's hard to compare because they are not the same guitar. I will say I like the Probuckers, I think they're the best Epi has to offer and they sound good enough that I wouldn't change them out for something else.

Fretter, I've used the GFS Pro Series Alnico II's in one of my LP's and was very impressed with the results. I think you will like them. [thumbup]

Yeah, I might like them, but on something else. As it turns out I ordered them thinking they had 4 wire leads for coil splitting for my ES-339. [blush] I'm going to go ahead keep them anyway for project guitar later or maybe for trade bait.

Archived