Gibson Brands Forums

Matching my amp with a Les Paul?

a7d7e7

After all this agonizing over which Les Paul (Gibson or Epiphone) I never stopped to consider the amp I have and whether the guitar will sound okay. Naturally in the stores, they plug you into whatever is handy.

I have a Roland Cube 40XL.

Will I be okay with that you think?

Hiya mate. You should be OK with the Cube, They're solid, but you WILL want to get a valve amp soon to fully enjoy the humbuckers so have a look at the smaller amps out there.

Not that i'm actively telling you to spend more time in guitar shops you understand (ahem).

Some solid states sound better than others, I have a Cube 30 and it certainly leaves a lot to be desired. I could never gig with it. One of the better solid state amps I've played is Roland's Blues Cube 60, out of production, that was replaced by the modeling Cubes. The Blues Cube has a much better tone. I picked up a used one for $250 a couple years ago.

Your amp is okay for home practice, but for stage use, you'll want something better.

Some solid states sound better than others, I have a Cube 30 and it certainly leaves a lot to be desired. I could never gig with it. One of the better solid state amps I've played is Roland's Blues Cube 60, out of production, that was replaced by the modeling Cubes. The Blues Cube has a much better tone. I picked up a used one for $250 a couple years ago.

Your amp is okay for home practice, but for stage use, you'll want something better.

Good to know. I've only been playing for about 5 months, so there are no gigs in my immediate future!

those cubes would make a great practice amp [thumbup].

you can always get a bigger gigging amp later on when you need one.....or even borrow one when you need one....... One of my buddys is like the opposite of a gearhound and often has to borrow amp's guitars or a PA before a show, at one time he didn't even own a guitar, he used to just borrow the keyboard players one. a lot of the gigs he used to play were often multiple bands on one after the other....he used to befriend them before the show and use their gear. All just because he couldn't be arsed to carry stuff aound.

As DADDEO said, Tubes are the eventual path that you go to for a more pure sound. I would actually recommend a hybrid amp that uses solid-state modelling along with a tube section. Many of these amps by various manufacturers are also priced reasonably for the resulting capability. My preference of course is for the VOX versions such as the VOX VT20+ as a starting point... I just think VOX typically offers amps that hit the sweet spots many others miss.

As DADDEO said, Tubes are the eventual path that you go to for a more pure sound. I would actually recommend a hybrid amp that uses solid-state modelling along with a tube section. Many of these amps by various manufacturers are also priced reasonably for the resulting capability. My preference of course is for the VOX versions such as the VOX VT20+ as a starting point... I just think VOX typically offers amps that hit the sweet spots many others miss.

+1 on the Hybrid stuff, I have a Marshall valvestate that I bought back in the early 90's (like a third of the price of an all tube amp) ..... it does indeed sound pretty cool....I can nail some great Angus tones with it, and still use it for teaching when students come round for lessons, and even use it as a practice amp still. ... it does actually sound like a proper marshal valve amp, but where it falls down, is on the feel if you know what I mean ..It doesn't have the same responsiveness and depth as a proper tube amp.

I recently played a vox VT and thought it sounded really sweet too.

+1 on the Hybrid. I have a Marshall JMD1 and love it over my Peavey Viper all tube or my Marshall MG solid state. I can have all the power of a tube amp without blowing out my family and ears. Plus it has 16 Marshall preamps, classic, vintage, modern, blues, haze etc... With the included foot switch it has 28 different programmable tones. Way cool if you play many different styles like me... I got it new off evilbay for under $700 (sells for $1200 at GC). Check it out on youtube… there are some great demos.

I think it was Warren Hayes who said, "If you plug a Les Paul in a Marshall its just cheating."

Marshall + Les Paul is ROCK....

Archived