Gibson Brands Forums

335 action not stable

budglo

I purchased a es335 at Christmas time and am constantly having to raise the action.I had it set up professionally when I got it.All was good for about a month.Got terrible tone and buzzing .Noticed the strings were almost laying on the frets.Raised the action and a week later the same thing.Finally took it to the luthier.Now 2 weeks later I played it and noticed the low E string is so low , you couldnt slide the thickness of a credit card underneath.Before it was 2 to 3/64ths and played beautifully.Anyone else experience this?Any suggestions? My other 2 Gibsons are not having this problem (lp and midtown custom).Thanks.

There are a number of factors to consider...

Actual age of the instrument...whether still stabilising wood-wise...

Local climate...temp/humidity

Whether neck relief has been adjusted

String gauges...

ES 335's are generally robust and stable once settled in with a particular set-up

If possible...playing a lot in a band will bed in a new instrument quickest....

V

:-({|=

I had a similar problem in the mid-90's with a 1975 ES-335. What had happened is that the bridge had "fatigued". The metal that the tune-o-matic was made of had gotten old and week, and instead of being arched up, it had gone flat. I had the bridge "re-arched" and all was well. With the availability of parts today I would have just replaced it.

Check your bridge.

I think Larry is on to it - - the bridge.

Another issue to check for: If it's got an ABR-1 bridge, make sure the bridge posts aren't bending/tilting. Usually when this issue occurs, the bridge posts bend/tilt toward the neck. The luthier should have caught that, but it doesn't hurt to check.

It defintely sounds like a problem with the bridge. Make sure the saddle pieces are seated properly on the bridge. Also check to make sure the mounting bolts are not moving around or are loose in their holes. If the bolts have not been seated properly, they may be sinking into the body.

It defintely sounds like a problem with the bridge. Make sure the saddle pieces are seated properly on the bridge. Also check to make sure the mounting bolts are not moving around or are loose in their holes. If the bolts have not been seated properly, they may be sinking into the body.

This is what the guitar tech thought when I tookit in before ( 2 weeks ago).Everything seem to be ok up until yesterday when I picked it up and played it .We have seen warm temperatures in the last week though.

For what it's worth, I've never had neck issues with my 335 or any other guitar I've owned, except one. It seems that at some point in the Summer, the neck wants to flatten out, and in the winter, it wants to bow. When I notice there's a buzz or that the action seems to be too high, I simply make a quarter turn on the truss rod and it moves right into place. Two adjustments a year- not bad. I'd be worried if it required many more than that.

Here are a couple of things you can do:

Check Your Neck:

Hold the 6th string down at the first fret, and and the fret where the neck joins the body. You should have a very slight gap between the string and the 6 and 7th frets, about the width of a business card.

Check Your Action Height:

Measure the bottom of the 6th string to the top of the 12th fret. I think the Gibson Standard is 5/64" of an inch.

Measure the bottom of the 1st string to the top of the 12th fret. I think that Gibson standard is 3/64" of an inch.

Mark it down. Next time you get your guitar out, and it is out of whack, re-measure and double check your neck.

That may help you out, or least you will know if something is changing on you.

Here are a couple of things you can do:

Check Your Neck:

Hold the 6th string down at the first fret, and and the fret where the neck joins the body. You should have a very slight gap between the string and the 6 and 7th frets, about the width of a business card.

Check Your Action Height:

Measure the bottom of the 6th string to the top of the 12th fret. I think the Gibson Standard is 5/64" of an inch.

Measure the bottom of the 1st string to the top of the 12th fret. I think that Gibson standard is 3/64" of an inch.

Mark it down. Next time you get your guitar out, and it is out of whack, re-measure and double check your neck.

That may help you out, or least you will know if something is changing on you.

I know that is the prescribed method, but I usually just eye it and play it. If you have determined your buzzing is caused by lack of neck relief, then usually just eying the relief is reliable enough. After a while you know where you like the action. If you get buzz, add neck relief; if action feels high, bring it down. Personally, I like the action as low as it will go without buzzing. You must test it while in tune, with the preferred string gauge, and the preferred pick. I set the bridge just a little higher than as low as it will go, then make the necessary truss rod adjustment. Once I have it where I want it, then I set the intonation.

I'm not saying this is the best way to do a set-up, but it works for me. I got tired of paying the pros to do it.

I recommend getting a pro who knows what he's doing to set up a new guitar, then do it yourself after that. He should be able to determine if the nut, bridge, and saddles are done/set properly. Then you should learn how to make minor adjustments from there. I am told that a truss rod adjustment can take up to several days for the neck to settle in.

I did check the relief and it was fine.That was my first suspicion.Once I rulled out the neck I raised the bridge until it quit buzzing .I can usually tell when it changes because the the tone starts to sound crappy and by eyeballing it can see the difference. I usually like the action on my 335 at 2/64ths at the low E on the 12th fret.I came to the conclusion to what others have hit on that the bridge posts were not fully seated initially.

Guest ferdinand14

For what it's worth, I've never had neck issues with my 335 or any other guitar I've owned, except one. It seems that at some point in the Summer, the neck wants to flatten out, and in the winter, it wants to bow. When I notice there's a buzz or that the action seems to be too high, I simply make a quarter turn on the truss rod and it moves right into place. Two adjustments a year- not bad. I'd be worried if it required many more than that.

thank youg.gif

If you have action set at 2/64" at the 12th fret for your 6th string, that is really low.

I know if I put my action that low on my 335 it would probably buzz and fret out too.

I have mine set at 5/64" and 3/64" and I'm using 10's on it. If I put 9's on it, which I have just to see how it plays, it will buzz.

Action setting is really player preference.

Archived