Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Black Beauty

TexasJohn79

I'm new to guitars and don't know much so please be gentle. Lol. I've come to own an Epiphone Les Paul Custom that I believe may be of the "Black Beauty" variety but would like to have someone help me to verify if it is one and tell me more about them if it is. Any of you "Black Beauty" afficionados out there pls help.

I'm new to guitars and don't know much so please be gentle. Lol. I've come to own an Epiphone Les Paul Custom that I believe may be of the "Black Beauty" variety but would like to have someone help me to verify if it is one and tell me more about them if it is. Any of you "Black Beauty" afficionados out there pls help.

Post up some pics.. but generally this is what you should have:

DV016_Jpg_Large_518340_R.jpg

• Solid mahogany body
  • Set mahogany neck
  • Slim-tapered neck profile
  • 22-fret rosewood fingerboard
  • 24-3/4" scale
  • 1.68" nut width
  • 3 Alnico Classic humbuckers
  • LockTone LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece for more sustain and easier string changing
  • Cream binding on body, fingerboard, and headstock
  • Block pearloid inlays
  • Gold hardware

DV016_Jpg_Large_518340_back.jpg

Hey Tex, welcome to the forums, hope you like it here.

Epiphone Black Beauty 3 usually refers to the Ebony Les Paul Custom with 3 pickups.

The 2 p/up version is sometimes, also called Black Beauty or perhaps refered to as the 'Tuxedo Model.'

They are a beauty in every sense of the word. HNGD dude,

hngd3.jpg

I hope you're as happy with it as I am with mine.

cimg1165i.jpg

Cheers

Paul

Hey Tex, welcome to the forums, hope you like it here.

Epiphone Black Beauty 3 usually refers to the Ebony Les Paul Custom with 3 pickups.

The 2 p/up version is sometimes, also called Black Beauty or perhaps refered to as the 'Tuxedo Model.'

They are a beauty in every sense of the word. HNGD dude,

hngd3.jpg

I hope you're as happy with it as I am with mine.

cimg1165i.jpg

Cheers

Paul

May I ask what trem you've got on that beauty, and how well it works?

May I ask what trem you've got on that beauty, and how well it works?

Yeah, sure.

It's a Les Trem I got from Stew Mac a few years ago.

It works ok, but, not as good as a Bigsby or a Stetsbar IMHO.

It'll do for now. I'm not planning on changing it any time soon.

Paul

Hi, I rescued a 2005 version (S/N: I0505....) of the Black Beauty from a pawn store. After thorough cleaning, it is in very good condition. Switches/pots all work well with no noise. Neck is in very good condition, straight with slight relief. No manual or anything, of course.

What I'd like to know is the following:

1. what kind of finish is on this guitar? Is it a lacquer finish with a clear gloss or is it acrylic lacquer or what?

2. Are .010 to .046 gauge strings considered 'stock' or are they .011s?

Thanks!

Hi, I rescued a 2005 version (S/N: I0505....) of the Black Beauty from a pawn store. After thorough cleaning, it is in very good condition. Switches/pots all work well with no noise. Neck is in very good condition, straight with slight relief. No manual or anything, of course.

What I'd like to know is the following:

1. what kind of finish is on this guitar? Is it a lacquer finish with a clear gloss or is it acrylic lacquer or what?

2. Are .010 to .046 gauge strings considered 'stock' or are they .011s?

Thanks!

Epiphones are finished with Polyurethane, and stock les paul strings are .010 to .046.

welcome to the forum, and HNGD!

Hey bigneil,

Thanks for the welcome and your response. Btw, what do those letters mean?! Not up on the latest acronyms! :)

I found a deep ding on the back of the guitar (near the cover for the switch) and was able to raise it with steamed heat. To complete the fix now that I know it is polyurethane, I will use cyanoacrylate liquid (instant glue) adhesive (few drops at a time to level the ding to top surface) from Satellite City (HST-4 Super T Medium). I was thinking I would then use clear spray poly from other similar style repairs and apply a light coat or two (with some drying time between coats).

I use 11s on my '71 Gibson Les Paul Custom but it is setup for that string gauge. 10s it is and I appreciate that info.

I paid $175 USD for this guitar and as good a condition it is, I could not pass it up!

Have a great week, bigneil, and thanks again!

ironhead

Archived