Gibson Brands Forums

Epi 50th Anniversary '61 SG questions

lborl

After wanting an SG since I was about fifteen I finally got hold of one of these.

copy2ofp1935010312.jpg

I love it, but I'm starting to think of a couple of ways I maybe could love it even better, and I thought I'd look on here to see if anyone else had mentioned the same things. But if they did I couldn't find it, possibly because 'SG' with only two letters isn't a valid search here. I saw the thread I'd looked at before when I was deliberating buying the axe, but that's just full of people saying they think it looks interesting and stuff and I figured if I put any questions on the end of that thread they may never get any answers, because most people seeing a 'new post' in that thread might just assume it's some other person just saying "I want one too" or whatever. That's what I would probably think.

So.

First thing is the 'Lightning Bar'. On the one hand, I really like the simplicity of it. The guitar certainly 'rings' more than any other I've had - I've only had budget to mid-range ones mind, the best 'name' being a Patrick Eggle - and according to stuff I've read in various places the lightning bar is likely the cause of that. But every so often I look at it and it somehow doesn't quite field the light properly, doesn't quite seem to fit. My brain is trying to superimpose a black Bigsby on there instead. Question one - is my brain an idiot? Would it even be possible to fit a Bigsby or Bigsby equivalent on this without drilling a load of extra holes? I'm bad at DIY and don't really want to drill any. And supposing I did put a whammy bar on, what I could do for intonation without the compensating bridge? You'll see that this 'Question' is really a sort of multi-part question.

Also, I've noticed that the neck P90 is significantly quieter than the bridge one. The bridge one is snarly and amazing and way better than I expected. But the neck pup is terribly thin and apologetic by comparison and seems to have a much lower output. Isn't that the wrong way around? I tried raising the neck pup a bit and then raising the poles on it as well but neither thing seemed to have much effect.

I'm sure that a Bigsby would fit on one of these one way or another. As for the technical aspect of it, I do not know. I'm looking at just replacing the wraparound bridge with an intonatable version possibly with fine tuners on it. I'm sure that someone here knows more about this subject.

As for the pickups, my neck pickup is full and thick sounding. It is not quieter than the bridge pickup, but it does sound different. The bridge PUP has more trebel and cut to it. I play on the neck most of the time becuase it has a nice thick, bassy growl to it. Maybe something is wrong with your neck pickup or the wiring.

Yes.

There are several different models of bigsby available for different guitar types. I know some of our members have done it, perhaps one of them can advise which model. I reckon you will need to replace the current bridge though for it to work...just don't know if you can get a roller bridge with the correct post spacing.

<strokes beard in ponderment>

A nice upgrade for any SG... You'll use the Bigsby B5, but I highly suggest you also purchase the Vibromate V5which allows you to re-use the original bridge holes for mounting and at the same time addressing the empty hole issue after removing the original bridge...

Hope that helps... Here's a video too from Vibromate:

Welcome to the forums, you'll need a Bigsby B5 as already suggested, but you'll have to mount a normal TOM or Roller bridge in place of the wraparound bridge first, that could be a problem as they are different widths.

but I highly suggest you also purchase the Vibromate V5which allows you to re-use the original bridge holes for mounting and at the same time addressing the empty hole issue after removing the original bridge...

Vibramate won't work with a wraparound bridge, different post spacing.

Welcome to the forums, you'll need a Bigsby B5 as already suggested, but you'll have to mount a normal TOM or Roller bridge in place of the wraparound bridge first, that could be a problem as they are different widths.

Vibramate won't work with a wraparound bridge, different post spacing.

Spacing or angle? I know it won't work with the Melody Maker because the bridge is mounted at an angle and they don't make an offset brace for that design, but they do list models with straight mounted wraparounds on their site as being able to use a Vibramate. I suppose if the OP is interested in this he could always call to confirm one way or the other if they do or don't work with any wraparounds whatsoever. Just the same, that's a good heads up thought on your part to make sure...

The stud holes for the wraparound bridge are bigger than the ones for a Tune-O-Matic. You'd have to dowel them and redrill for the new bridge, then drill new holes for the Bigsby. Virtually every Gibson I've ever seen with a wraparound and a vibrato (late-'60's SG Specials and Juniors, mostly) have had the vibrato removed or disabled by stringing through the bridge, as a vibrato doesn't seem to work well with a wraparound bridge. A Stetsbar vibrato might work, if they make one that will mount on wraparound bridge (not tailpiece) studs. Your neck pickup problem could be fixed with a new pickup--most pickup companies make soapbar P-90 replacements.

Archived