Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Page Les Paul (With New Info)

Zosofancmr

Hey guys, I have here a complete history and examination of his Number One 1959 Gibson Les Paul. A lot of the info comes from Edwin Wilson of the Gibson Custom Shop, who examined the guitar first hand and interviewed Jimmy about the instrument personally. Additionally, there are new revelations from Joe Walsh, who sold Jimmy the Les Paul, from an interview with Guitar World Magazine published just this month. Here's the link, check it out!

http://findingzoso.blogspot.com/2012/03/guitarsenal-number-one-gibson-les-paul.html

Hope you all enjoy it!

Thank's for that great info\:D/ .Someone got me thinking (really thinking) about Jimmy Page recently when they asked me who was better between Slash & Ted Nugent](*,) Now I feel those kinds of questions can't have a answer,but I feel Ted should get a few penalty points for the loincloth=; .Who's better is probably the one you like the most.Anyway,as for Jimmy Page,it really amazed me at how large of a impact & legacy he will leave behind.He certainly knew his calling.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank's for that great info\:D/ .Someone got me thinking (really thinking) about Jimmy Page recently when they asked me who was better between Slash & Ted Nugent](*,) Now I feel those kinds of questions can't have a answer,but I feel Ted should get a few penalty points for the loincloth=; .Who's better is probably the one you like the most.Anyway,as for Jimmy Page,it really amazed me at how large of a impact & legacy he will leave behind.He certainly knew his calling.

That he did...btw, I would totally give it to Slash over The Nuge. I met Slash about two years ago, great guy, and a real gentleman. He signed my Whisky A Go Go T-shirt actually.

That he did...btw, I would totally give it to Slash over The Nuge. I met Slash about two years ago, great guy, and a real gentleman. He signed my Whisky A Go Go T-shirt actually.

Slash also never threatened the Presidents life too so another plus for him! haha

Hey guys, I have here a complete history and examination of his Number One 1959 Gibson Les Paul. A lot of the info comes from Edwin Wilson of the Gibson Custom Shop, who examined the guitar first hand and interviewed Jimmy about the instrument personally. Additionally, there are new revelations from Joe Walsh, who sold Jimmy the Les Paul, from an interview with Guitar World Magazine published just this month. Here's the link, check it out!

http://findingzoso.blogspot.com/2012/03/guitarsenal-number-one-gibson-les-paul.html

Hope you all enjoy it!

you seen this vid? also interesting

Someone made a joke about Jimmy's guitar and how much $$$ it might fetch.The just of it was that it would probably knock a huge chunk out of the U.S national debt.I thought it was very funny.That guitar would have to certainly be one of the most valuable instruments in existance and not just in money.It's true value and the only value that should really matter is his love for it and that would appear to be a whole lot.

Am I right to assume that the new Les Paul Standard's switching options were probably inspired by Jimmy Page?

Someone made a joke about Jimmy's guitar and how much $$$ it might fetch.The just of it was that it would probably knock a huge chunk out of the U.S national debt.I thought it was very funny.That guitar would have to certainly be one of the most valuable instruments in existance and not just in money.It's true value and the only value that should really matter is his love for it and that would appear to be a whole lot.

Am I right to assume that the new Les Paul Standard's switching options were probably inspired by Jimmy Page?

Very well said. I had someone ask me if all the nicks and dings decreased the value of the guitar....yes really. I have no clue what that guitar would be worth, more than Clapton's "Blackie" I would think. It is one of the most iconic guitars in all of rock and roll.

I'm not sure if Page's guitar inspired the new switching options, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

I was reading some info about the huge increase in value of the 58'59'& 60' burst LP's and that the "million dollar" one could go anytime now if not already by a private sale.If the info I read was reliable,those guitars were not famous ones such as Page's.I can't remember what "Blackie" sold for,but I agree that Page's would be more desirable.I know this is all mute when putting Page's guitar in the discussion,but this topic has kind of got my interest up for the moment.Just how crazy will it all get and how high will the $$$$ go for a vintage LP.For such money these guitars are going for,someone could possibly just build a time machine and go back and buy one brand new...[tongue]8-[

Interesting article. Thanks for posting, Zosofan.

I never knew it had a SD fitted so long ago.

I was also interested to see the relative neck-thickness of the three guitars in profile. It looks almost identical to the mid-'90s Classic. Was the neck on #1 computer-scanned, does anyone know?

...I can't remember what "Blackie" sold for,but I agree that Page's would be more desirable...

'Blackie' fetched $959,500 in 2004 (Clapton's 'Brownie' made $497,500 in 1999).

I'm certain #1 would fetch more than that. After all, the ex Peter Green/Gary Moore Les Paul went to auction in 2006 with a starting estimate of $2,000,000......

P.

'Blackie' fetched $959,500 in 2004 (Clapton's 'Brownie' made $497,500 in 1999).

I'm certain #1 would fetch more than that. After all, the ex Peter Green/Gary Moore Les Paul went to auction in 2006 with a starting estimate of $2,000,000......

P.

I was way off on what I thought Clapton's went for [mellow] .Did'nt even know about the Green/Moore LP.I'm starting to think that the joke about Page's LP & the national debt could :-k ......... [bored]

Since Clapton's Fender was brought up I can't help but think about Jimmy's Tele and how it (in my opinion) is just as important to Rock 'n' Roll as his Gibson's,at least from a recording standpoint.I understand that it was in bad shape when he got the LP and retired,but has it been used for studio or stage since?I'm also assuming he still has it,which feels like a safe bet,but I would be thankful for any little facts or info.For such a short time using the Tele,those sounds will just blow people's mind for a very long time.

Archived