Gibson Brands Forums

Problem with G-400 When Using with Roland Cube 30

gvdv

Hi Everyone,

I am really enjoying my new Epiphone G-400.

However, after having played around with it since getting it 4 days ago, there is one thing about it that I have noticed that I would liketo get your opinions on, and which I am slightly worried about.

When I plug the guitar into my Roland Cube-30 , combo and I play the 2 notes of what I assume is a major 3rd, on the 1st and 2ndstrings of the G-400 (e.g. an E note at the 5th fret of the B string and G noteat the 3rd fret of the E – 1st. String), I get a kind of 'sympathetic' or 'shadow' note sounding in addition to the 2 notes of the major 3rd..

This effect occurs when I play a major 3rd at any point on the 1st and 2nd strings, and as I move the frets at which I play the interval, the 'shadow' note changes in a logical fashion.

For example, when I play a D note on the 10th fret of the 1st string, combined with a B note on the 12th fret of the 2nd string, this causes a G note to be produced (it is exactly the same as the note at the 3rd fret of the 6th string). If I slide the interval down a fret, so that I am playing the 9th fret on the 1st string and the 11th fret on the 2nd string, I get an F# note, as if I am fretting the F# at the 2nd fret of the 6th string. If I move the combination up one fret, it is as if I am playing a G# at the 4th fret of the 6th string, and so on.

This 'shadow' effect does not occur on the amp's 'clean' channel, and similarly it also does not occur on the first and second of the amps 7 settings on the gain channel (the 'Acoustic', and 'Black face' emulations).

But, unfortunately, one can hear this effect in the following emulations: 'Brit Combo' 'Tweed', 'Stack Classic', 'Metal', and 'R-Fier'. That would be good news if I did not use any of these emulations, but of course I noticed that this happens because I use the 'Brit Combo' 'Tweed',and 'Stack Classic' all the time.

This effect also does not occur if I try any other kind of interval – only with the major 3rd..

The effect occurs on all 3 of the pick-up selection options.

Has anyone experienced this phenomenon before? If so, is there anything that I can do to get rid of it?

At first I thought that maybe one of the guitar strings wastouching the fingerboard or a fret or something, but that is not the case. I also tried palm-muting the strings that I was not playing, but that does not help, either. And I am quite confident that the speaker is fixed securely within the amp's cabinet, i.e., that it is not loose and moving back and forth.

Maybe this is purely a drawback of the amplifier emulations,or maybe, for some reason, it is what happens when you use this particular guitar with these settings on this particular amp. It is interesting that this happens with the emulations on the amp which are affected by gain – one cannot overdrive the 'Acoustic' and 'Black Face' emulations, even though they are on the gain 'channel'.

I would very much appreciate your opinions, and help withthis.

All the best,

Gvdv..

Take your guitar to a store and play through some more amps not modeling ones first then the other modeling ones out there now.

It has been several years since I owned a Roland cube 30 but that is the problem with modeling amps. I had a new Mustang too which sounded great in the beginning but after a while I could hear the digital artifacts and compression so back to tube amps for me again or non modeling solid state.

I am betting it is just part of the digital modeling you are not going to get rid of in that amp anyway.

Hi, have you tried it through a different amp yet? That's got to be worth a go, as mentioned previously. Without trying it through something else you wont know whether it's your guitar or amp. Try it through a simple valve amp too if you can.

It could possibly be a wolf note situation on your guitar.

I would suspect the digital effects are the culprit if you are not exeriemcing the problemi in the clean channel. I'm with others on the suggestion that yountake the guitarbto your local music shop and play through a variety of amps that also employ modelling effects and see if the problem can be duplicated.

Make sure the digital fx knobs are turned all the way to off, it's really easy to leave the dial barely on and get a lot of chorus.

Cheap amp, don't expect a lot from it (I know, I have one!). Also, you'll get much better tones with upgraded PU's. Cheap amp + cheap PU's = less than ideal tones.

I have one also and I wouldn't call it a "cheap" amp. I don't have gobs of money, but $250 new for an amp is not cheap to me.

I also disagree with your last statement. It's actually more like:

"Cheap amp + cheap OR boutique pups = it doesn't make any difference because you're not even going to be able to hear the difference of the upgraded pups through a cheap amp."

I have one also and I wouldn't call it a "cheap" amp. I don't have gobs of money, but $250 new for an amp is not cheap to me.

I also disagree with your last statement. It's actually more like:

"Cheap amp + cheap OR boutique pups = it doesn't make any difference because you're not even going to be able to hear the difference of the upgraded pups through a cheap amp."

Actually a $250 new amp is cheap, electronics and speaker both. I would never gig with my Roland Cube 30. Their Blues Cubes from 10+ years ago sounded much better, but were discontinued because they didn't have amp modeling.

True, a nice guitar thru a cheap amp won't sound all that good.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies.

Have not yet had a chance to take the guitar to a guitar store to try it out with other modelling and non-modelling amps.

I will, however, have a chance to try the G-400 through a tube amp in a couple of days, maybe tomorrow, so that should yield some more 'data', although I think that the fact that this problem does not appear on the clean channel on the Cube 30, and affects four of the seven emulations points to the fact that this does have something to do with the amp models.

Probably will get a chance to visit a guitar store for another week.

Good to know (sort of) that digital artifacts do actually exist.

Thanks, once again,

Gvdv.

Archived