Gibson Brands Forums

Gear question, amp related

daveinspain

Back when the Egnator Rebel 20 came out, a few years ago, I bought one and used it as my at home practice amp. When I started playing in bands Egnator came out with the Rebel 30, 10 more watts, two channels and built in reverb that the 20 didn't have so I bought one to play out. I love the Engnator products, great tone... Anyway, I had my Rebel 20 semi retired, just brought it to gigs as a back up amp. I decided to try something today and it sounds killer! I ran the output of my guitar into my Boss ME 50 FX peddle and the output of that to the input jack of the Rebel 20, then the speaker out of the Rebel 20 into the input jack of the Rebel 30 then from the speaker out of the 30 into the speaker cabinet. Sounds great but I'm not sure if this configuration will blow something out...

Basically I'm using the 20 as a pre-amp but is it ok to plug the speaker out of one amp head into the input of another amp head?

Any thoughts on this?

Basically, NO. It is not safe to run a power amp (speaker) into a preamp.

Can't prove it from here, except to say that the ratings for the output of the one amp far exceed the ratings for the input of the other amp. I don't know of an amp that does.

If it's an out-put from the internal power amp you don't want to do that. Does the smaller amp have a line out? Does your peddle have a muilt? You could just use an unbalanced splitter from the out-put of your last peddle and run one line to each amp.

Basically I'm using the 20 as a pre-amp but is it ok to plug the speaker out of one amp head into the input of another amp head?

No.

Any thoughts on this?

I think you will soon be buying another of each.

rct

Is that a burning smell? [biggrin] The output transformer on your Rebel 20 will be blowing up soon if you continue this. If you want to do this you will need a "dummy load" with an output. The dummy load will mimic the load of a speaker to your Rebel 20 and allow you to send an output into your Rebel 30. It's usually called "slaving".

I was able to limit the fire to my studio but that last power chord rocked...!! Just kidding, I suspected it wasn't a correct setup so I never cranked anything. I only tried it at low volume and just a few chords. I would like to incorporate both amp heads in my rig though. I think I'll try the slave route. Anyone have more info on how to set it up?

I was able to limit the fire to my studio but that last power chord rocked...!! Just kidding, I suspected it wasn't a correct setup so I never cranked anything. I only tried it at low volume and just a few chords. I would like to incorporate both amp heads in my rig though. I think I'll try the slave route. Anyone have more info on how to set it up?

If you want to drive one head into the other, it's pretty pointless because there are buckets full of amps that drive more than one gain stage. I'd also suggest that you will be unhappy with driving one into the other when you get it up to the volumes you typically need in a bar. This is why Mesa was just so dang spanktacular way back then, because they eliminated the need for my Lafayette home brew 30 watt amp being used as a preamp in front of my Sound City heads, and all the crap that went with it. You hear "cascading" gains, they exist, don't have to do that.

Good luck with it.

rct

Since the Renegade 20 doesn't have a line out you will need to improvise...

An attenuator with a load mode and a line out will do it.

The "Load Mode" will let you disable the speaker in the 20 and then the line out can send the signal to the effects loop of the other amp.

Archived