Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone ET 275

lengle1981

Boy do I want one of these, they look great. Anybody got one and any pics?

Also, why are they so cheap for an epiphone guitar made in the 70's?

Were these the thinner flat solid body Crestwood-style shaped guitars with double-hums and the 3 on the side shorter headstock??

Of course I have one......1972......All original.......I've used it on both home recordings, and on pro recordings as well........

Feels like a Tele, sounds like a $6000.00 PRS........

Epi-275005.jpg

Epi-275004.jpg

jpg059.jpg

Of course I have one......1972......All original.......I've used it on both home recordings, and on pro recordings as well........

Feels like a Tele, sounds like a $6000.00 PRS........

Epi-275005.jpg

Epi-275004.jpg

jpg059.jpg

I'd heard as much, don't like the tele look but do like the sound, this would be ideal. Any idea where I could get one and approx price?

I'd heard as much, don't like the tele look but do like the sound, this would be ideal. Any idea where I could get one and approx price?

I see them every so often on E-Bay....( I don't check there often......).....Prices vary...........

One sad fact is that the uneducated tend to throw them away, or beat them to h*ll....................

I see them every so often on E-Bay....( I don't check there often......).....Prices vary...........

One sad fact is that the uneducated tend to throw them away, or beat them to h*ll....................

That's sad, these look cracking and I'd love to get my hands on one. I'll keep my eyes on eBay until one pops up. Yours looks sweet by the way, very jealous!

That's sad, these look cracking and I'd love to get my hands on one. I'll keep my eyes on eBay until one pops up. Yours looks sweet by the way, very jealous!

Thank you.....I acquired it from an L.A. rocker who takes care of all his guitars....Phenomenal player and great man.....

I'll post a better pic later on.......

Thank you.....I acquired it from an L.A. rocker who takes care of all his guitars....Phenomenal player and great man.....

I'll post a better pic later on.......

Yeah do post pics! I'm in the uk so might be harder to get hold of one. Always liked the epi coronet and Olympic shape and these are pretty much the same. The Olympic and coronet are a little out of my price range though. Hopefully I'll get lucky!

Yeah do post pics! I'm in the uk so might be harder to get hold of one. Always liked the epi coronet and Olympic shape and these are pretty much the same. The Olympic and coronet are a little out of my price range though. Hopefully I'll get lucky!

Why not just buy the '66 re-issue Wilshire? They're the same shape (except for the headstock) plus they have the original style fixed neck, batwing headstock and mini humbuckers. You can get them from several dealers in the UK and they're around £260.00, or there's one with a trem for a bit more money. The last ET model I saw (don't know the exact model) was in London's Denmark Street about 4-5 years ago with a price tag of £525.00. I thought that was way overpriced for a 70's Epi but I guess someone thought it was worth it.

You've probably seen the re-issue Wilshire but, just in case, here's my non trem model.

01WilshireFullFront.jpg

Why not just buy the '66 re-issue Wilshire? They're the same shape (except for the headstock) plus they have the original style fixed neck, batwing headstock and mini humbuckers. You can get them from several dealers in the UK and they're around £260.00, or there's one with a trem for a bit more money. The last ET model I saw (don't know the exact model) was in London's Denmark Street about 4-5 years ago with a price tag of £525.00. I thought that was way overpriced for a 70's Epi but I guess someone thought it was worth it.

You've probably seen the re-issue Wilshire but, just in case, here's my non trem model.

01WilshireFullFront.jpg

Yeah I've seen the wilshere but not as keen on the luck or the headstock, picky? Yes, but still prefer the 275

Always liked the epi coronet and Olympic shape and these are pretty much the same. The Olympic and coronet are a little out of my price range though. Hopefully I'll get lucky!

Yeah I've seen the wilshere but not as keen on the luck or the headstock, picky? Yes, but still prefer the 275

Page from original 1966 Epiphone catalogue

04.jpg

'66 Wilshire re-issue

Wilshire1966ChineseReissue_1.jpg

Original 1964 Wilshire on right, 66 reissue on left

64Reissue66Wilshires.jpg

Page from original 1966 Epiphone catalogue

04.jpg

'66 Wilshire re-issue

Wilshire1966ChineseReissue_1.jpg

Original 1964 Wilshire on right, 66 reissue on left

64Reissue66Wilshires.jpg

Bottom pic:

I looked up "patina" in the dictionary. There was a picture of the one on the right!

BTW--the '66 Wilshire reissue is great! Been gassing for a hollow body for a while, but a new '66 on closeout for $300. at a local shop is causing a moral dilemma.

Bottom pic:

I looked up "patina" in the dictionary. There was a picture of the one on the right!

BTW--the '66 Wilshire reissue is great! Been gassing for a hollow body for a while, but a new '66 on closeout for $300. at a local shop is causing a moral dilemma.

The bottom pic was posted about 2 years ago by a member here. I think the '64 had been his dad's guitar and he'd just bought the '66 re-issue. I don't have time at the moment to do a search but if I remember correctly he said the re-issue compared quite favourably to the '64. I've never been able to compare old and new but I really love the one I have and I still can't see how they did it for the money.

• 3 years later...

I realize this is an old post but I have a question regarding the prices of these instruments. I have a friend who owns an ET 275, the model with vibrato system. According to the catalog the ET 275 sold for $174.50. The ET 278 sold for $189.50. According to Epiphone Wiki other than the ET 275 having a vibrato system, the descriptions of each guitar are identical (The ET 290 is described as having a maple body, it also has block inlays and gold hardware.The 275 and 278 are simply described as having hardwood bodies.). In most cases a guitar that has a vibrato system is more expensive than the same model without one. I just find it odd that with these guitars the opposite is true. Anyone have a theory as to why?

Archived