Gibson Brands Forums

burstbuckers on an es- model?

NiceGuyEddie

I suppose there is a reason why gibson does not put burstbuckers on semi hollow models. I am guessing it may be a feedback issue. Does any one know why? Has anyone tried burstbuckers on an es model. I was thinking about burstbucker pros on an es 355.

I suppose there is a reason why gibson does not put burstbuckers on semi hollow models. I am guessing it may be a feedback issue. Does any one know why? Has anyone tried burstbuckers on an es model. I was thinking about burstbucker pros on an es 355.

As opposed to Gibson Classic 57s ??? I don't see why not.......Gibson states that " Factory installed Burstbuckers are wax potted, and that Burstbuckers

sold as individual pickups are not." I asked why, and did not get a response....[confused] ....I believe that BB Pros are wax potted either way....One could always

pot BB 1,2, and 3s anyways...........Just my 2 cents...........

Hi, I bought the one ES 335 model that comes with BB Pros last year: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Gibson-Custom/ES-335-Block-Inlay/Features.aspx

I liked the Burstbucker Pro's at first but after a couple of weeks became dissatisfied because they are too hot for that kind of guitar IMHO. The point of a Semi-Hollow is in my view that you get a tone with a lot of acoustic, woody timbre and the Alnico 5s in the BB Pros do not really provide that.

As always, it depends on what you're after though... If you want an ES 335 with a 'modern rock' sound the BB Pro might be for you. I would advise against them if you are after a classic, vintage 335 tone. The Gibson 57s are a good match.

BTW: I change my PUs for an (unpotted) Alnico II BKP Stormy Monday, these are great!

Hi there,

I have the es model with burstbuckers mentioned above. no feedback issues here. I always wondered if the classic 57 will sound better. I have them in my Les Paul standard, but I guess the difference in construction of the to guitars makes a comparsion of the ampliefied sound somewhat useless.

My Es just sounds great, and I don't see a need to swap the burstbuckers.

Hi there,

I have the es model with burstbuckers mentioned above. no feedback issues here. I always wondered if the classic 57 will sound better. I have them in my Les Paul standard, but I guess the difference in construction of the to guitars makes a comparsion of the ampliefied sound somewhat useless.

My Es just sounds great, and I don't see a need to swap the burstbuckers.

Yes, it all depends on preference your rig etc, so there's no across-the-board 'right' solution. Personally I wouldn't swap the 57s for BB Pros like the OP suggested. Also littlejohny don't swap the BB Pros - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep the BBs. I too thought that I would rather have 57 classics based on others comments, however my custom shop ES-335 with BB 1&2s sounds incredible. Great tones in all pickup positions, reminiscent of many classic rock/blues artists/recordings, voicings from warm/clean to raunchy blues to crunch/rock, beautiful singing sustain on middle and neck pickup when pushing your amp and with volume pots between 7-10. Am playing through a variety of amps including Two Rock StudioPro35 2x12, Carvin V3M 2x12, Marshall JCM900 & 1960A 4x12, and Bassman 59 4x10 Reissue.

Would not even think of changing now.

57's are better for ES's IMO. The edgy sound that ES's make are from the body of the guitar. You need a smooth pickup. If you put an edgy pickup like a BB on a guitar with its own edge it doesn't work so well. BB's are good for naturally smooth guitars, like LP's.

Just my 0.02.

Archived