Gibson Brands Forums

The new Orange PC for home-recording

Riffster

How would reinstalling the OS be a problem? It's just a PC, it would be a piece of p!ss. It's even got a DVD drive for crying out loud. Also you can guarantee it would come with a software disc.

I'm sorry but your reservations are baseless.

Hey man, I would just be worried. I'm a bit paranoid. I have to have things a certain way or I'll go crazy with OCD. If I'm not sure if it comes with a software disc, I won't buy it. That's just me. If I got confirmation, I'd consider it. (well, probably not. I just bought a new desktop that probably kicks that thing's ***. Plus I have a studio laptop already.)

Hey man, I would just be worried. I'm a bit paranoid. I have to have things a certain way or I'll go crazy with OCD. If I'm not sure if it comes with a software disc, I won't buy it. That's just me. If I got confirmation, I'd consider it. (well, probably not. I just bought a new desktop that probably kicks that thing's ***. Plus I have a studio laptop already.)

Hold on just a minute............................you bought a new desktop? As in, a prebuilt one? And you're a computer repair guy? Well that certainly is a new one.......................

eusa_think.gif

Hold on just a minute............................you bought a new desktop? As in, a prebuilt one? And you're a computer repair guy? Well that certainly is a new one.......................

eusa_think.gif

Well, actually it was used, and I couldn't pass it up. I payed $45 for a 2010/11 Acer Aspire desktop w/ a 1TB HD, Intel Pentium Duo, and 6GB of RAM. The computer, direct from Acer is $500 brand new. The monitor the guy threw in is at least $75-$100. It was "broken" when the ****head installed Vista on the same partition as 7. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't pass up an offer like that any day. Kind of like the iTouch I just bought from a friend for $20.

Well, actually it was used, and I couldn't pass it up. I payed $45 for a 2010/11 Acer Aspire desktop w/ a 1TB HD, Intel Pentium Duo, and 6GB of RAM. The computer, direct from Acer is $500 brand new. The monitor the guy threw in is at least $75-$100. It was "broken" when the ****head installed Vista on the same partition as 7. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't pass up an offer like that any day. Kind of like the iTouch I just bought from a friend for $20.

I could have easily passed that up. It's a piece of junk. I may have taken the hard drive and the monitor, but the rest is worthless.

I also wouldn't take an iTouch even if someone was giving it away. I wont have anything to do with that Apple garbage.

I could have easily passed that up. It's a piece of junk. I may have taken the hard drive and the monitor, but the rest is worthless.

I also wouldn't take an iTouch even if someone was giving it away. I wont have anything to do with that Apple garbage.

Uhh, parts value alone at the shop is $300. I'm putting it to good use, instead of letting it sit in a basement. And why wouldn't you take the RAM? And I bought the iTouch as something to make money on. You'd miss out on a lot of ways to make money. I take computers, no matter the year/condition and scavenge what parts are worth it, or if it's just a software issue, clean it up and sell it. I currently have 4 computers, 2 of which are for sale, and both of them were completely free. They both just had major software issues.

Uhh, parts value alone at the shop is $300. I'm putting it to good use, instead of letting it sit in a basement. And why wouldn't you take the RAM? And I bought the iTouch as something to make money on. You'd miss out on a lot of ways to make money. I take computers, no matter the year/condition and scavenge what parts are worth it, or if it's just a software issue, clean it up and sell it. I currently have 4 computers, 2 of which are for sale, and both of them were completely free. They both just had major software issues.

Well I guess that when you have a way to resell the parts then it is useful. And no, I would not have taken the RAM. It was probably DDR2 and even if it was DDR3 it's low quality and the lowest speed that DDR3 operates at. No thanks. I use G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (4x4GB) RAM @ 1600MHz. I have no use for that OEM RAM. And I guess that you could probably make some money off of the mindless Apple sheep with that iTouch.

Well I guess that when you have a way to resell the parts then it is useful. And no, I would not have taken the RAM. It was probably DDR2 and even if it was DDR3 it's low quality and the lowest speed that DDR3 operates at. No thanks. I use G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (4x4GB) RAM @ 1600MHz. I have no use for that OEM RAM. And I guess that you could probably make some money off of the mindless Apple sheep with that iTouch.

I don't think you understand what I mean. If you were to part this out, you save the parts for use in someone else's computer, someone who doesn't use the same stuff that you use. Basically, you have the parts for people that don't know as much as you. You have to make the client feel as if you're on the same level as them to be successful. Without that, you won't make it. I might open up my own repair shop this summer (if I'm lucky) and I'm going to use this Windows machine for data transfers/recoveries, so I don't fill up the lesser HDs on my laptops.

I have a MBA in computer science and spent 20+ years in the tech field and just retired a couple years ago as a CIO for a major city and all you tech guys worries are groundless. All this thing really is in the final form, is a rather basic consumer level PC with better speakers and a different cabinet sold loaded with some specific music software and some custom branded standard music apps nothing else.

I have seen computers in every shape and size you could think of from full blown PC's the size of a stack of 3x5 cards to tablets and computers reinforced so that they can be installed inside of welders in production shops. We had small PC's made split equally into two separate boxes to balance the weight so they could be mounted to police motorcycles with a 4x6 touchscreen mounted on the tank. we even installed computers on the moving arms of garbage trucks to weigh and record each can being dumped so people couldn't say that we missed their cans. Ive even mounted full PC inside of cases with large UPS batteries and hung them inside the enclosures for microwave dishes installed several hundred feet in the air all with no issues. the only delicate part in a pc is the hard drive because of the spinning platters put in the any of the many non hard drive storage types and it's almost impossible to damage a pc with todays components. Just as an example Ive removed PC's from totally wrecked police cars and had them work just fine when tested and then reinstalled. Hell I saw a police car that was rolled 4 times after a wreck in a high speed pursuit the Panasonic Toughbook laptop in it's mount was still on and fully operational even though the car was completely trashed and upside down the officer trapped inside the car sent a text message to Dispatch saying he was ok, but he was unable to get out since the door was bent so bad it wouldn't open. I think a Guitar amp will have no issue with a pc mounted in it.

The only worry i would have is it's probably a lot more expensive than it's worth. I have a Mac mini mounted inside of my gear rack doing exactly what this does but running Protools and several drum programs with Midi for my Zen drum and it's been hauled everywhere.

eusa_think.gif

Man, the romance tension is getting heavy with you two. Here's a place you guys can go to have it out. They have hourly rates, in and out in no time. [lol]

motel.jpg

Archived