Gibson Brands Forums

CS 336 on the way

G McBride

Bought a CS336 from the auction sight and will have it tomorrow. How will it compare to my ES359 or my former ES339?

I had sold my 339 and wanted to replace it when I found this 336 for about the same money as a 339 so I decided to give one a try.

Anyone else a fan of them?

Bought a CS336 from the auction sight and will have it tomorrow. How will it compare to my ES359 or my former ES339?

I had sold my 339 and wanted to replace it when I found this 336 for about the same money as a 339 so I decided to give one a try.

definitely a 336 fan, here! as you know, it will be a lot like your 359. iirc, you are/were a big 339 booster. i don't have a 339 so i'll be interested in your impressions of 336 vs. 339. regards, eljay

I have a CS-336 (2008) and I absolutely love it. Just put pure nickel strings on it (per recommendation from another thread...semi-hollow with pure nickel strings). She really sings nice now.

Good luck with your CS-336. Tell us about it once you receive it. Don't seem to hear enough about this great guitar on the forum....Paul

Congrats, you'll be happy with it. If you search on CS 356, Clayville gave a nice tonal rundown between the two guitars. Upshot of his post is both 339/359 and 336/356 are a cross between a 335 and LP. 339 more 335, 356 more LP. But not dramatically so. I don't have a 335 but my 356 doesn't really compare to the LP sound (but Clayville wrote that it leans to an LP sound compared to a 339). I will say the 356 has a real pleasing sami-hollow growl that is just amazing. Words are inadequate to describe sound. Maybe one day I'll post the sound. It took me a while to dial in the tone I liked on my amp so keep trying. They are fantastic guitars and I'm a huge fan. The biggest difference between the 356 and 336 is cosmetic. Although, I would argue that the ebony FB is not so much cosmetic but a serious upgrade. I absolutely love the ebony FB. I wish all my guitars had ebony. I have D'Addario 9.5s on it now but have been meaning to change over to DR Pure Blues (pure nickel) for months. I have the strings I'm just lazy. As mentioned, many folks love pure nickel on solid bodies (I have pure nickel on my LP and am quite happy with them).

The new guitar will be delivered to me today. I know how much I love playing my 359 because of the feel of the neck and the 57 classics and the 336 has the same pups but I believe will have a little thinner neck.

I will keep you posted.

The new guitar will be delivered to me today. I know how much I love playing my 359 because of the feel of the neck and the 57 classics and the 336 has the same pups but I believe will have a little thinner neck.

I will keep you posted.

Good Luck. I'm sure you will love it. I have a 2004 custom order one-off and it's my favorite out of my 11 Gibson's. They definitely bridge the gap between a 335 and LP.

Guitar arrived safely yesterday. The shop in Kansas did a great set up on it for me including a new set of strings.

Love the guitar, it plays great, sounds fantastic and looks to die for, Vintage Sunburst with figured top. It may be just a little heavier than my 339 was but it feels fine playing.

Very glad I purchased this guitar, but then again, what's not to like.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, the fundraiser is over, looks like we raised around $24,000 to promote youth shooting sports in clubs, schools and Universities.

Now I am finally getting time to play guitar again. I have been playing my 336 every chance that I get and I love that guitar. I'll do some pictures this week.

Archived