Gibson Brands Forums

This guy has GOT to be kidding, right????

onewilyfool

Is that price ridiculous? I don't follow trends if they're newer than '65. Still can't understand the attraction to that gaudy p'guard and goofy looking bridge, but if I could have that body style with a rectangular bridge and no guard I'd swoon.

.... can't understand the attraction to that gaudy p'guard and goofy looking bridge, but if I could have that body style with a rectangular bridge and no guard I'd swoon.

I can't understand the attraction to goofy looking guitars with rectangular bridges and no guards. . [flapper]

Regarding the price . . . maybe for a great playing 69 in great condition, and good sound/tone.

Welllllll, there was a Bozeman J-200 TV for $2500 recently and a Bozeman J-200 standard for $2000 as asking prices on local Craig's list, A local Guitar store had a Bozeman J-200 wirh a few nicks for $1700......1969 was when Norlin went to the double X-braced tops.....I would take any of the Bozeman J-200's over this at much less cost.....just saying...

I would take any of the Bozeman J-200's over this at much less cost...

+1, for sure.

The J-200 was the model that declined most rapidly through the '50s and '60s. In particular, there was a disastrous tonal nose-dive in '61 -- bigger bridge plate, bigger neck block, extra floating brace to support the top -- that marks the end of nice J-200s, IMHO.

And, although I am a big fan of late-'50s Gibsons in general, the late-'50s J-200s were far inferior to the early-'50s models: the guitar gained about a full pound in weight during the '50s, and it became less and less useful for anything other than strumming rhythm in the background. The best of the recent TVs are as good as any postwar J-200s, and better than most that are selling somewhere north of $10K. That $2500 TV may or may not be one of the best, but it is very likely far superior to this '69.

-- Bob R

Apparently some people out there are lacking the knowledge of just how good those Bozeman 200s are. ...

Absolutely right about that. I've seen a lot of dropped jaws on people who are used to regarding J-200s as "quiet giants" when they first encounter a TV. Combine that with the fact that the old J-200s were produced in relatively small numbers and that they were nominally the top-of-the-line Gibson flat tops, and you wind up generally overvalued vintage models and undervalued recent models. (At least from a players perspective. Collectability and tone are loosely correlated, at best.)

-- Bob R

Archived